XCR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have had my XCR for about a year now and have shot the crap out of it. No matter how much I crank out on the 1050 it keeps chewin' 'em up and spittin' 'em out! Just posted a couple pics on the pic thread a second ago, moly/teflon coated in dark earth just to be different.

Don't surf around too much on the forum much anymore but was wondering if there has been any mention or plans on a rimfire or a 9mm conversion kit? The 5.56/6.8/6.5/7.62x39 stuff is great for the purposes the rifle needs to fill, nothing wrong at all except just looking for a cheap plinking alternative. Everyone is all about the SCAR and ACR, neat rifles and all, but the XCR has been out awhile whereas those things are reported on in terms of "sightings" like a yeti or something. Take advantage of it I say, show how modular the rifle can be.

Rimfire: Reworked Op rod, combined carrier/bolt for blowback, lighter recoil spring, barrel and BDM mags. The hammer springs should be light enough as is, might need tweaked.

9mm: As above, mag well adapter (could an AR adapter be modified to work?), and some Colt pattern mags

...or am I just spitballing here?

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
They have been talked about. 22 may come in the future. Pistol calibers are expected at some point but I believe anything after the current calibers in design/manufacturing will come after the XCR-M in .308.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd actaully like to see a 5.45 conversion kit for cheaper shooting too. I don't know how the S&W 5.45 uppers will do but I think this is something that deserves a little attention from the nice folks at Robinson. Obviously the barrel is an issue but the 6.8 shares a very similar case head diameter to the 5.45.

Tell you what they should do is figure out a way to mod a surplus AK74 barrel with the barrel extension and a simple, non-adjustable gas block and market it as the 'budget or training conversion' or whatever. The barrels are already chromed and are pretty cheap as is. Would it be pretty, no, but who cares, it'd be cheap shooting.

BTW, I get a finder's fee for that idea! ;D

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Just buy an AK74! It's cheaper, just as reliable and mags are cheap.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just buy an AK74! It's cheaper, just as reliable and mags are cheap.
Already built one, rivets and all, and while in itself a fine rifle I don't think the comparison is fair. Why buy an XCR, an AR is cheaper? Why buy a Chevy and not a Ford? It's all preference. I prefer to shoot my XCR instead of the -74.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
fair point, just don't go holding your breath waiting.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, small companies are that way I guess but usually disappoint less in the end. I lucked out and had only a few week wait for a factory fresh XCR last summer, my buddy ordered one just shortly after me and had to wait a little bit longer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts