XCR Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I wont disagree that the army is ready to think outside the box but I don't think DOD is ready financially. We are too tied to the M4 platform for there to be any sort of change in the near future. When you think about it, the entire Army Small Arms budget is maybe the cost of one of the C-17s. The guys in congress and the pentagon are more interested in the big dollar items, the next space weapon, the next super laser beam weapon...

I for one hope that they make a change but I am not holding my breath.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
My question would be who would manufacture the XCR if it did get the contract.Robinson is a small operation notnearly capable of handling any kind of large scale contract for the u.s armed forces.The problem with that situation is then what the pencil pushers decide to change to make it more cost effective,can anyone say m16?
You also have to consider the volume it would take to replace the current inventory.When the army went to the m4 you have basically the same platform,but with the XCR you have very limited parts interchangeability and virtually everything in the inventory must be replaced,armorers retrained etc,etc.The cost would be exponential.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
I kind of hope our company won't go for that. I like that we are civilian sales.

Although I would also like our rifles being the ones keeping our soldiers safe, too.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I think you guys would do well with the 6.8. I think there are select units that would be very interested in it. I don't think it will ever be mainstream DOD but I think it would do well for a few groups.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
The likelihood of what your inferring Aziator is allot more likely then standard G.I. issue.Not to mention on a scale where Robinson,with some enhancements/upgrades that are probably necessary to fill larger scale production needs,could actually fill the contracts themselves without as much or any outsourcing of parts than ones they already do.
My only concern is that if that ever dose happen,and I hope it will on at least some scale,that Robinson maintains its relationship with the civilian market.Colt,HK,and several other military contract holders have pretty much alienated us,and I refuse to buy any of their new products.
What will be intersting to see is when/if Colt loses it's military contract,how much ass they will attempt to kiss to get back into our good graces.I hope they do and I hope no one buys a damn paperclip from them.
Terra heres something to consider,#1 If you guys did get a military contract it would shut up all the naysayers(they might still run their mouth but we can tell em to stick it!!) #2 You would pretty much be guaranteed job security. we will boycott if you aren't left in charge of civilian sales :)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
It is amazing what military backing does for a ccompany. I know of a company that has added at least 8 additional CNC machines in the past 8 months to keep up with demand.

I am not sure about this company but all of that can be negotiated into a contract, Robarm could win it and say that they need more machinary to get output where they want and put it into the contract.

Yes, I hope that they receive some sort of contract but I am sure that they will remember their loyal Civ Customers.

·
Registered
331 Posts
The XCR is what the M4 is trying to become; but never can fully be.
Rails
Piston
Compact stock (you can't get anymore compact than folding it out of the way)
Of course the list goes on and on.

As soon as you write a requirement down it becomes limiting. I think some in Congress will make sure the selection process is as fair as can be.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would love to see the XCR in the hands of the military. One thing that i like is that its so simple. I like the M4 but the XCR uses K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid). >:D

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
[glow=red,2,300]Ah Grass Hopper you have learned your lessons well[/glow]

·
Registered
22 Posts
This won't happen. The Bushada has more of a chance of winning such a contract than the XCR.

I am more hoping these new systems coming out do not become vaporware (SCAR, ACR, 416)

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
You are right, it probably wont happen. The government is so stuck in thier ways it would take a miracle to getting something other than an M4. I think we will see the SCAR get fielded by select units, Not sure about the ACR, probably more of the same.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
The cost of a rifle is nothing compared to the cost of support logistics and training. That is why any change form an M4 Type platform would be difficult. Why do you think the SCAR uses common style controls.

·
Registered
114 Posts
My humble opinion is that the winner in these things always seems to be predetermined no matter what the feel good press releases say. If I had to place a bet, it would be with FN. This has little to do with the merits of the rifles in question when your talking politics.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts