XCR Forum banner

Robinson Armament Visit 2/3/2009 (New Stock sighting)

9K views 72 replies 31 participants last post by  bazooka 
#1 ·
I popped into Robarm today to get my M96 looked at by Terra to ensure it had all the upgrades, and get an ambi bolt release, and flash hider added.

While I was there Alex, the man himself, came out to chat for a bit. As always he was informative and eager to talk guns and projects in the works.

The new trigger is really good. I think people will be very happy. It's light, the break is clean, and it is very short with the reset. However the parts still look beefy so durability should still be high

I saw many of the new colors being considered. I saw Cerakote, Duracote and anodizing. The FDE Cerakote was awesome. I want to get my gun done in FDE. I didn't think much of it at first, but it looks very cool

I tried the new ambi, paddle style safety. I REALLY liked the way it felt and the overall design

We talked XCR-M quite a bit. Alex has some cool ideas. I'm looking forward to seeing the final version

Then there is the new stock. I saw a prototype. There is a certain irony to it I cant talk about, but it's a design that works perfect with the XCR. However Alex is torn on how to do the cheek piece. There are two ideas:

Having a manually adjustable adjustable cheek piece like the SCAR and ACR. However these make the stock on the fat side, more complex and heavier.

Then Alex is considering having a gradual comb like HK did with the XM8 where you can just move your head forward or backward to tailor your sight height. Personally I prefer the gradual comb. What is your opinion?

Also the cheek weld portion is static while the LOP portion moves under the cheek piece. Think sorta UBR like, but easier to use.

On a side note, this new stock will work as a great club for smashing skulls and doors. Don't expect a fragile SCAR stock. Like everything else on the XCR, ultra tough is the law of the land.

Lastly, thanks Terra for helping with the M96. A pleasure as always. You should have seen the light in Alex's eyes when he was handling the M96. He loves it, but was also somewhat agitated that when the M96 was in production all people did was bitch and bash it and whine. Now many of those same people are looking for one. He asked me if there was demand for the M96. I told him, Oh hell yes.

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm waiting for that paddle ambi-safety, glad it felt good to you. Is there any development on an ambi-mag release?

What kind of ideas are we talking with the xcr-m? anything not already discussed here?

and like so many here, I'm dieing to see the new stock. I can't even guess what you mean by having an irony to it. ???:p

I'd personally like the manually adjustable cheek piece.

#4 ·
I'm waiting for that paddle ambi-safety, glad it felt good to you. Is there any development on an ambi-mag release?

What kind of ideas are we talking with the xcmr-m? anything not already discussed here?

and like so many here, I'm dieing to see the new stock. I can't even guess what you mean by having an irony to it. ???:p

I'd personally like the manually adjustable cheek piece.
Alex only mentioned doing an Ambi mag release briefly. It is on the road map though. As for the XCR-M, a lot was said, but I dont know what Alex wants out there yet, so I will keep quiet for now.

As for the irony part, I really cant say ;D It's sorta funny though, especially if Alex moves forward with the design.

#5 ·
I think a gradual comb would be ok, but I have to speak up for the folks with a scope on the rifle...

With the gradual curve if you decided to move up or down the stock you might need to readjust to where you can see through the scope. I suspect this would not be a problem with the ACOGs and the Aimpoints and anything along those lines. Its really not a big deal to me as once I get a cheek weld i'm going to stay there, but maybe some people would complain?

Or am I thinking too much lol? KISS I supposed.

Gradual comb would probably be easier, and more durable without the moving part, if that makes it more light weight... then cool.

#7 ·
Very sneaky! Nice bit of recon.

Alex is like me, I have a ton of project I've started, but most are not finished. Oh they get close, like the barn I started building 10 years ago. It is down to a few pieces of trim here and there, but otherwise looks done. I've even re- stained it, but I still didn't wrap up those last few items. I could probably get it done in a day, but I always move on to newer projects.

#10 ·
However these make the stock on the fat side, more complex and heavier.
I wouldn't mind if the stock was a little heavier, or I could add weight, to balance all the stuff I seem to need hanging from the rails. I know I am the "travel light" guy but a little extra weight in back would be nice. Regardless I am holding off on buying any other stock until I see what RA comes out with.

#11 ·
Manually adjustable cheek piece. That way you can set it for you and your rifle. Otherwise it tends to be a compromise for everyone, not bad but not quite right either.

#13 ·
Yes, I would prefer to see an adjustable cheek piece as well. Especially if it meant possibly changing your eye relief to any optics you might be using.

What about using static spacers to adjust the comb height? Maybe 1/4" thick pieces stacked up to the maximum height? Mechanically simple. Just pull a couple screws and take out however many spacers you need to get your desired height then cinch it back down.

It wouldn't have the same flexibility if you were passing the rifle around, but you could set it to fit you. And I guess if you were out shooting it wouldn't be too hard to adjust it for a buddy in a few minutes if you were going to let them use it that afternoon. Just don't throw your extra spacers away.

#20 ·
Here is my theory...

VB says its ironic of something that he saw today. A few days ago he posted about how he wanted one of these....

Now he says there is something that kind of reminds him of the UBR stock ...

or that it could be a comb style like the XM8

Now the KTR 03 style stock would meet all 3 of his messages... it could easily have a cheek riser on there, or be made into a comb. It would look like it was made for the XCR... it certainly looks tough as hell...

Will we know the truth? Ummm I doubt it... but it has peeked my curiousity so thats what I'm thinking. In this scenario I would STRONGLY prefer the adjustable type and I withdraw my statement about the comb from earlier today... that XM8 style stock is horrible... I hate to google it to remember how bad it looked!

#21 ·
It doest look like the XM8 stock at all, or a VEPR stock. It looks really good in fact. I would have paid for it on the spot if Alex was selling it

Alex asked me flat out if I thought a cheek piece was a good idea. I personally like the gradual comb up the back of the gun, but I told Alex everyone will say they want a manually adjustable cheek piece. People are convinced its the cat's ass feature because it is on a SCAR and ACR

I like the comb because I like simple and durable. The SCAR stock is neither simple or durable and it looks like crap. Also I believe the SCAR stock only raises the cheek by 1/4 inches. Once more people get to shoulder the SCAR they will see its not all that big a deal.

The gradual comb is very easy to use. Just place your head where it needs to be, and tailor the LOP.

All that said, from a marketing perspective the adjustable cheekpiece will win more hearts and minds.

#22 ·
I really don't have an opinion either way since I am perfectly happy with the factory folder. With that said, I think that the adjustable would cater more to the masses, the same way the M4 stock adapter became necessary a few months after the XCR was released.

#23 ·
If you're going for a truly adjustable stock, the adjustable cheek-piece only makes sense. One size just doesn't fit all.

tk

G
#24 ·
you know, almost every optic on the planet that is fit for the XCR can be fit into a standard AR height mount of some sort. making the stock put the eye at AR height would be just fine IMHO.. some small adjustment might be nice, but those of us with beards tend to get out facial hair caught in most cheek riser platforms. that kinda sucks.

#26 ·
Solid cheek. Less to break and less to get out of adjustment. On a bolt rifle I'd want to be able to adjust everything out as needed (maybe, my M40's work just fine without them) but on a fighting rifle, less would be better. I can adjust rail position and ring heigth as needed if eye relief becomes an issue, but in use, unless it was so squirrely out of bounds in terms of position, it wouldn't be much issue. I might allow for something like the spacer idea, but then again, it would have to mount almost permanent with no quick release mechanism. I don't want to have to worry about it falling off or losing parts down the road.

I've never shouldered a SCAR but have monkeyed with the ACR/Masada. The cheek riser didn't really do much for me. VB is correct, the difference is minimal. Maybe I'm ruined from the M16/M4's in the service, if you mounted NV or whatever you just changed your position to make it work and practiced it as much as you could!

#30 ·
You mean actually ask what your customers will pay for? Now that's novel!

#33 ·
Alex did, and I told him straight that if he didnt add a manually adjustable cheek piece lots of people would get sand in their privates.

I dont really see the need, a properly designed stock with a comb would work just as well. People need to keep in mind we are talking tiny adjustments too. Even with the SCAR you only get about 1/4 inch or adjustments with the cheek piece. It's not like anyone is ever going to go from 0 height to 3 inches

Part of the problem is XCR shooters using tall mounts, the wrong risers and ACOG's on the XCR so their head is ten feet in the air. Getting the right mount and optics makes a huge difference. You dont see anyone using tall mounts on an HK416.

Dont bring your head up, get your optics down

All that said, Alex can avoid lots of drama by having an adjustable cheek piece. I'd have to quit the forum because the whining would drive me nuts if he didnt include it.

#31 ·
Nice read VB.

I'd much rather have an adjustable cheek weld vs the comb idea.

I worry that having to move my head forward or backward from my natural shooting position would be awkward and cause some neck/shoulder strain. I'd rather be able to get a cheek weld in the position i've always shot in.

#36 ·
I'm with Terra.....manually adjustable would be better IMO.

I'd LOVE to go with shorter sights and shorter mounts, but it's kinda hard finding them that fit things other than ARs and work the way I like.

For example, I have Troy HK style BUIS on my ARs. I love these sights. I prefer them to the HK style dipoter with the wierd adjustment tool and they fold down which will be important for the scope I plan to run on the XCR. The problem is: on the XCR, they are what, 1/2" too high?

Same with LaRue mounts.....they have some "HK" type mounts for the Micro T-1s to get to the correct height, but then they don't work with standard AR height BUIS.

Another option might possibly be to make the stocks 1/2" higher where they meet the receiver so that the line of sight is the same as standard ARs.....which would mean all the optic stuff would work on both.....but that would likely mean when the new stock was folded, it might block the ejection port....a big no-no.

I dunno....just thinking out loud.

Sean

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.