XCR Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
23,047 Posts
Disagree on the MCX.

It's a nice platform and there's TONS of interest but the unless they up their production... parts, conversions, stocks, guns etc are hard to come by and when they do become available, they're selling at a premium. I've bought a couple with the LE/SIG APP and there's usually been a significant wait (6+ months). I'm only setup with a few distributors but they've all be VERY limited on anything MCX in the past several years (eg only stocks and handguards with no conversions or complete firearms).

Parts are hard to come by for the current MCX. I don't anticipate the new version to be any better on availability for a couple of years at least.
It does run quite well if you can get one.
It's not that light. My XCR and MCX, similarly equipped, are a few ounces apart. The Virtus barrel profile killed any weight savings the legacy version had.
It is convertible.... 5.56 or 300? 7.62x39.....? (308, 6.5 or 6.8F eventually on the "spear"). XCR still kills it and anybody else on conversions.

Sig has sold the "cool factor" of the platform and there's interest but they haven't delivered on their 762x39 and there's as many versions/gens in the MCX life span as there are for the XCR for a similar time fram.

I like the MCX but it's not the answer for the masses. (neither is the XCR)

RA DOES need to work the Social media angle.

I've got a 6.75" legacy MCX in 300 that shoots great but my 7.5" 300blk XCR is more fun(but a little more gassy).
Inclined to agree with this....

SIG USA is also notorious for making something...then changing it/discontinuing it and then you can't get it anymore or replacement parts. Yes, RA has done this too, to a much more limited extent...but they are a tiny company by comparison and do still manage to often due some pretty custom things for customers.

·
Registered
23,047 Posts
And is it me or do the comparisons that RA makes with the SCAR and ACR, et al, that they publish seem insecure and cringy? Reading direct comparisons between competing products is a very important tool when shopping around, sure, but to hear it from the manufacturer itself?
It's not just you.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Fair points.

I think the last few years though have been a bit of a fluke with parts, price, and availability.

Honestly though, if you have been willing to pay more you can get MCX parts. I can’t say that with RA. Not that that’s acceptable, just a point worth making that parts WERE available, just outrageously priced, ie that stock everyone wants.

I have not messed with the gen 2 MCX, but the gen 1 was pretty sweet.

In interviews with Sig, they’ve said the the MCX and Spear are going to be legacy lines that they plan to support for decades. They are also pushing them hard on the Military. Specifically the Spear and the new round the mil wants developed.

I definitely want an SBR 308 (12.5” I’m thinking) and I’ll wait to see the Sig offering before I decide on an M.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23,047 Posts
@TTEngineer In selecting an M, why do you want 12.5”? CQC against armor? I’m curious to hear. When I think about getting an M I tend to think about the longer barrels for long range shooting.
Can't answer for him....but I got the 12" M in .308 b/c I already had a 16" and with a can, it's not stupid long. That bbl length is plenty good to 5-600 yards as well. I bought a 9.5" (that is still on order) mainly b/c my 12" is a pistol and the new proposed rule change would potentially still be legal under the weight requirement in a 9.5" version.

Reactions: Northern

·
Registered
126 Posts
In the TFB video the other day on the 308 raptor the guy from sig made some comment about something they do to the barrel of the gun (8ish inches) to have better velocity than a standard barrel. He said it was the same thing that let them do a 5.5" 556.. Anybody have any ideas what barrel magic sig claims to have come up with to mitigate velocity drop in such a short barrel? Are they just speeding up the twist rate? I know some of the new blackouts are using a 1:5 twist barrel..

·
Registered
561 Posts
@TTEngineer In selecting an M, why do you want 12.5”? CQC against armor? I’m curious to hear. When I think about getting an M I tend to think about the longer barrels for long range shooting.
I think the velocity out of a 12.5 308 is more than sufficient for where I live or plan on traveling too. And the lost velocity over a 16” isn’t that significant.

Plus a 9.5” would be really hard on a suppressor.

BUT if I can find a 13.7” barrel offering, and then run a 2.5” dead air mount I may go with that so I don’t have to worry about filing paperwork.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
182 Posts
Well, a couple of weeks ago I got a notice that the barrel came in for my 308Win XCR-M and it was time to pay. I sent a check (very nice that they don't require a deposit) and it has cleared. Friday a tracking number was emailed to me, but it hasn't moved yet.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts