XCR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so as I was installing a new grip I see my safety lever fall out.
I look around and I see the little pin in the picture below on the ground.
Is that the detent pin? I've tried seating it in the lower and installing the
lever over it put it sticks up a bit.
Am I doing something wrong???

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
You are missing your selector spring. You need to but the safety body back in the lower, in the fire position, then put the detent back in its little hole. Then, once you find the long thin safety spring, you need to put that in the grip and put the grip back on, aligning the spring with the detent.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Turn the rifle upside down,loosen the grip,put the safety back into it's hole,install the detente(little pin) back in it's hole(point down).Now put the spring back into the hole in the grip,that goes on top the detente,now tighten the grip screw back up.Work's just like an AR.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Damnit I did it again.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You are missing your selector spring. You need to but the safety body back in the lower, in the fire position, then put the detent back in its little hole. Then, once you find the long thin safety spring, you need to put that in the grip and put the grip back on, aligning the spring with the detent.
Yeah, I still have the selector spring, I just didn't take a pic of it.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
You can remove these style safeties withotu removing the grip by turning it halfway between SAFE and FIRE and then giving it a good push. It'll pop right out. Then to reinstall a new one just use a small punch or other object to press the detent down and then push the selector back in. Not an approved method mind you, but a trick I learned in the service and you're in a hurry.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, I got it together.

Interesting thing though, with the new Tapco grip, the safety isn't as stiff.
I guess it doesn't fit tight enough to exert pressure on the detent?
Anywho, I will try sanding the grip and see if I can get it to fit better- as I tighten it
up it actually gets pulled away from the lower so it is out of spec somewhere . . .

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I have given up on the dumb Tapco SAW.
I really, really wanted to make it work but the thing won't fit right
and the effect on the safety concerns me. Having a loose grip on a
$1700 gun is not kewl :(

I am thinking it is MIAD time but nobody near me seems to stock them and
I'd like to see one in person before purchasing.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
The MIAD to me looks just too dang much like an A2 grip on an AR.I really hate those(the AR grip).I know a grip is more a form of function that aesthetics,but I also don't want my expensive toys to "look" cheap.The Ergo is what I have on mine and the circumference seems pretty good for most people,and the texture is great.I like the shape of the Tango Down grip better than any I've seen except it's too small/narrow for me.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
YEP!!

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
Are you installing the Tapco SAW Grip that has the little extension on it that is supposed to fill the gap between the pistol grip and trigger guard on an AR-15 ?
I had to grind (carefully) that little nub off to fit my XCR.
I am very happy with the grip. I have larger hands, and it improved the rifle for me.
Plus, I can store the needed allen wrenches, some of the spare parts and a broken shell extractor in it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Are you installing the Tapco SAW Grip that has the little extension on it that is supposed to fill the gap between the pistol grip and trigger guard on an AR-15 ?
I had to grind (carefully) that little nub off to fit my XCR.
I am very happy with the grip. I have larger hands, and it improved the rifle for me.
Plus, I can store the needed allen wrenches, some of the spare parts and a broken shell extractor in it.
Yes. However mine was still wobbly.
I did a hack job that i'm not proud to admit and added some, uh, "material" to the rear of
the grip channel to get it to fit. :'(

How does your safety operate? As I mentioned above mine is now much easier to move. Dunno
if I like that.

edit:
I thought I'd add a pic.

I need an optic badly. I took it out today for the first time. I can't hit jack with these irons (way low at 50yds and yes I used the little sight tool to make adjustments). I did whack at a metallic silhouette at 100yds a few times. Would an EOTech 512 work with the XCR-height rail system?

Also, I had one fail to extract in 200rds. No biggie I guess. The spent shell was backwards in the ejection port.
And, I guess I need to get used to the trigger because twice it didn't reset. I think I was riding it too close like I do with glocks. Anyone have any ideas?
I know it isn't broken in yet so I'm not disappointed or anything . . . that Federal XM193 sure can be stinky . .

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Yes. However mine was still wobbly.
I did a hack job that I'm not proud to admit and added some, uh, "material" to the rear of
the grip channel to get it to fit.
If your grip isn't fitting flush the spring pushing the detente down may not be as tight as normal.If the safety functions fine,you have to decide wether you're willing to accept the looseness or change grips.
I can't hit jack with these irons (way low at 50yds and yes I used the little sight tool to make adjustments).
Do you have a front sight designed for the same plane as the rear or is it for the gas block as on an AR.If it's for a gas block you either need a new sight or file at least 1/4 inch off the front,because the sight you have is intended to sit lower on the gas block the front sight post is naturally higher and will cause you to shoot to low when mounted at the same plane as the rear.
And, I guess I need to get used to the trigger because twice it didn't reset. I think I was riding it too close like I do with glocks. Anyone have any ideas?
Here is what you need to do to fix the failure of the trigger to reset.Read my first post on this page and follow the instructions and you should be good to go
http://xcrforum.com/index.php/topic,2148.0.html

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am using the Midwest Industries sights that come with the gun.

I will look into your trigger post.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
It seems someone else here was having trouble zeroing M.I. front sights.I wonder if they got a wrong batch from them and no one has noticed....Terra?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It seems someone else here was having trouble zeroing M.I. front sights.I wonder if they got a wrong batch from them and no one has noticed....Terra?
Honestly, I doubt it.
I have another platform (krebs ktr) with AR-designed sights that I have the same issue with.

Does anyone make XCR-specific irons?

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have an MI front and a Matech rear, and have a similar problem. I had to bottom out my front post. I suspect it's due to the fact that the height above bore on the XCR is greater than on an AR.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts