XCR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the Saiga 12 reliable enough to be considered with the Rem. 870 for a primary :shtf: shotgun?

If you were going to have only one, could you consider the Saiga 12?

Thoughts, opinions, gr8 I know you have the Saiga 12, could you share your insight?

·
Registered
923 Posts
I have never shot a Saiga 12 but I did handle one at a gunshop, while they feel very well made I do not think I would want one I used to think I would but now that I see how much it would cost to get it the way I want it. Plus I am very partial to a pump gun and I like 870's the best of pumps.

·
Registered
704 Posts
We've got one at work and they are awesome. If you shoot a lot of slugs, you will need to clean the gas port and gas tube. It seems like the port shaves some of the slug off and it gets sluggish after a while.

Given the purchase price, mags, etc, the saiga will get much more expensive than an 870 real quick. Simple is good and I think this is were the 870 shines. I also feel the Saiga is a little slower to load than an 870.

I wish I would have bought a Saiga when I could get them for $495 with pistol grip and side folding stock!!!!!

·
Registered
923 Posts
The Saiga 12 I handled locally they wanted $849 for it and it did not have anything done to it and only came with 1 5rd mag, I am not sure if that is high anymore with all the price gouging but just FYI.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ouch, I didn't realize they were that expensive. There's no question then, that I'd go for an 870. The Saiga sounds fun and if you had the money and already had your 870 then it might be a worthwhile purchase.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I wish I purchased one 5 years ago when my local Georga shop was selling them for $275.

Dog :banghead:

G

·
street price is still around $600 at some places. that was as of yesterday tho. I saw one at a gunshow couplaweeksago for $750 and it sat there all show never sold. $825 is gouging. :duh:

I've been debating this exact thing for some time myself. I frankly cant justify the saiga-12 logically despite my intense desire for one. My 870 seems like it'll do everything I need it to. :ninja:

My bottom line on this descision is that the shotgun is such a limit tool overall and would almost always be pretty low on my list of stuff to grab, that I cant justify a Saiga.

Now If I new i would be doing a lot of close range fighting in a crowd or was worrid about penetration, then maybe I could justify it. :)

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
No, stock as imported 19" barrel. That is a good price, can't find them for less anywhere.

·
Registered
704 Posts
If you are running a side saddle and load as you go, the 870 will always be topped off. Loading a 5 round mag on a closed bolt goes fairly smooth and loading five at a time into an empty gun for both guns the saiga will be a little quicker. Our 8 rounders are real tough to load into the gun and at times will dislodge the top round. Since we modded the safety to hold the bolt to the rear, it is easier to load the 8 rounders, but by the time you strip a mag, lock it back, get the mag loaded and release the bolt you would have had the 870 charged with at least a couple of rounds and fired them.

As much as I love the saiga it is not as smooth as an AK to reload. I can come real close to loading an AK or Galil as fast as an AR but the saiga is a different beast.

The real reason we looked at the saiga was for carrying different ammo. With shock locks loaded, we can get two to each of the three hinges and one to the lock and one to the dead bolt. The shotgunner can then back off, and reload with slugs or buckshot and continue with the entry. With the larger capacity and semi auto, it is a heckuva breaching shotgun.

If we come across a need for less lethal or gas, all he has to do is drop the mag, rack the bolt several times, have a team member verify empty and the new mag and switch gears. For a smaller team, it provides a lot of flexibility.

For a three gunner having to swtich from slugs to buck or vice versa, the same thing would apply. While I know you can selectively load an 870, the ability to swap out 8/10/20 rounds at a time to different ammo is the biggest advantage of the Saiga (other than the are cool as he!!).

I hope that explains my comment a little better.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I'm a very active member on the saiga-12 forum, you can get saiga 12's still at 599. they are the BEST semi auto shotty available to civis. We have pictures of our boys in iraq using a few for "testing" ;D Tromix is considered top of the line for "conversions" I have a saiga and it runs like a top. AK reliability, plus 8,10,12 round mags and there's a 20 round drum (don't buy the wraithmaker drum) There is SO MUCH info on saiga 12's i can't possible type it all out, just see the forum for questions. They have the coolest SBS and full auto saigas on there too.

But, as far as pump shotties go, 870 is very very good, nice receiver design, only problem is its a bit more then a mossy pump. But if you can afford it, get the 870

·
Registered
136 Posts
Well being the owner of 4 Saiga 12s I guess I'm prejudiced but I've done my homework and I know of no better shotgun as far as reliability and sheer firepower. The mag vs. tube debate will go on forever but thats just not an issue for me. The relatively new 20 round drums have made capacity a non issue as far as home defense and these things will spit out 20 rounds before the first shell stops rolling on the floor. Yes they can be expensive for a well converted one from a top notch business. I just picked up my Tromix a couple days ago. In Saiga circles that is considered the best and with drum inserted I'm over $2,000 with all the customizations. Its a firebreathing dragon and I'd go up against anything with it. You can get a basic AK type conversion for under a thousand and it will do everything a high-end Saiga will do except look as good. I'm not putting down the 870 at all, its a fine weapon, they are just two different animals.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
If you're interested in a shotgun, and have the resources, I don't think there's ever been a more prudent time to pick up a magazine fed, folding stock, semi auto 12 gauge! IMHO

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
If you're interested in a shotgun, and have the resources, I don't think there's ever been a more prudent time to pick up a magazine fed, folding stock, semi auto 12 gauge! IMHO
Would like to, but sadly I must contend with the legal restrictions here in the PRK.

Anyway, the last time I bought a box magazine-fed, semi-auto shotgun (a USAS-12), a few months later the BATF'ers decreed it to be a Destructive Device. I keep wondering when they'll do the same with the Saiga-12...

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
If you want what I consider to be the best value in a tactical shotgun,take a look at the Bernelle Nova.They are built extremely tough and should run right at or under $350.The tactical version comes with factory ghost rings,an 18" cylcinde bore barrel,and fires 3.5 inch shotgun shells.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
They are interesting to me but I don't think I will get one. I saw a brand new 870 on craigslist yesterday for $250. Hopefully the guy will hold it for me to get when I get home.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Az that is a great deal, I hope it's still around when you return.Y

You can list guns on Craigslist?!?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Quote: But, as far as pump shotties go, 870 is very very good, nice receiver design, only problem is its a bit more then a mossy pump. But if you can afford it, get the 870

The 870 is about as durable as they get, and made in the USA. The Mossberg uses a lot of aluminum in its parts and IMO won't hold up long term as well as the steel 870. Both get the job done, but I will always grab my 870 first.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts