XCR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SBR 6.8.....Optimal Twist Rate for 11" Bbl?

Is it 1:10 that's currently available, or should I wait for the 1:11.

I know in the longer bbls (16", 18.6") 1:11 is preferable, but does a shorter bbl need more twist?

Is there any disadvantage....like lower FPS or higher pressures (I'm assuming so).

Basically, I'm trying to talk myself into just getting a current 1:10 conversion instead of waiting on 1:11 for a planned SBR w/ 11" bbl in 6.8 SPC.

I plan to ask on 6-8forums as well.

Thanks,
Sean

G

·
Re: SBR 6.8.....Optimal Twist Rate for 11" Bbl?

I think the 1-11 allows for faster loads, but it may not make a big difference being so short.

The advantages would appear to be the same as it would for a normal length barrel.

I suppose that a 1-11 might allow faster velocities out of the short barrel, where it could be beneficial.

to be totally frank tho, when you get right down to reality and stop worrying about the technical aspects and a potential 50fps gain, it really wouldnt matter at SBR ranges anyway.

I say get the stamp going and do the 1-10.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts

Joack-O gives good advice. Get what you can now, not what might be 6 months from now. I am pretty sure we will see an XCR-M before we see any amount of 1:11" barrels.

·
Registered
22,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thanks for the advice guys. There's so much different ammo out there now for 6.8 it's hard to determine what will reliably fragment at a certain distance out of an SBR anyway....too many variables.

If I get the second XCR to SBR, I'll consider it.....otherwise, I think I'll wait. As I said in the 6.8 section of this forum, I already have a 6.8 SBR. Guess that'll have to do until the 1:11 comes out.....That is if there's no ban before that time.

Since parts likely won't be banned (though evil features like threaded bbls might) I should still be able to get the bbl/conversion. I'd have to assume that you could send the bbl off to be threaded as long as the rifle it is going on was mfg'd before the ban went into affect. There may be a ban, there may not. What's specifically banned and any clauses in the ban itself are purely speculation at this point.

Thanks again guys.
Sean

1 - 4 of 4 Posts