XCR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I am not a nut but, with the Obamanation upon us now and the liberals looking to take our guns away when they get the chance I pose this question.

First I would love to have a shorty. I like the look and the mobility of it. However, with that said if you register your shorty (in order to be legal and all) then obviously the fed knows you have it. So if the SHTF and the fed came to confiscate the AWs, they would first hit those with shorties.

I know, I know - the odds of this happening are slim but the Jews thought the odds of them being slaughter during the now called holocaust... etc. Just for the record, I can list about a dozen very scary similarities between Hitler's rise to power and Obama's rise to power.

So I ask those of you who own registered SBRs, if you are worried about any of that stuff simply because you can't legally tell the government that you sold it to your neighbor down the street who moved away last year.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
This has been asked many times. Me, I am not worried. If worse comes to worse you can always write a letter to the ATF in duplicate requesting that the weapon be removed as an SBR as you will no longer have it in that configuration. As I have said before, not many crimes are committed with said guns, to legally own one you have to pass through tons of scrutiny, and most already think it is illegal. Half of the stupid politicians up on the hill don't even know the difference between a bayonet lug and a flash hider, I am not to worried about them coming after my SBRs. Maybe I am too optimistic?

·
Registered
449 Posts
XCRFAN,

You are advertising to a lot more information on the firearms you own to a lot more people with your signature.

I wouldn't be too concerned.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
This is one of the few times that myself and AZ don't exactly agree.I believe that SBR's.A.O.W.'s,And suppressors make a nice"let's start here" list.I don't deny It might seem farfetched and yes I know there are other ways to find your information,but this list is already filed and national databanks easily copied and forwarded to every Law enforcement agency in the country within minutes in the event of an attempted confiscation.It makes a good place to start a domestic terrorist watch list,I don't think the crime rate using these is even relevant,because firearms statistics prove they are wrong at every other turn,they surely don't care about those either.The biggest thing about these are they have to be transferred,unlike private sales of "regular" firearms,you can't say "I sold that".Call me paranoid,but I don't trust government as a whole,and I don't trust Obama no farther than I could throw him.

·
Registered
702 Posts
XCRfan: I have some NFA items but I am not worried that the feds will be on my doorstep. Yes they know who I am but I have news for you, they know who YOU are also unless all of your guns were purchases FTF. Every time you fill out a 4473 (don't remember if that is the number of the form) to buy ANY firearm, THEY have a record that the feds have access to. If the feds ever showed up on your doorstep, which they would not, they wouldn't just take your word for it that you sold your guns. If they really wanted to confiscate them you wouldn't be able to stop them.

MadDog :deadhorse:

ETA: don't_tread_on-me: If the feds showed up on your doorstep and you said "I sold those guns" do you really think they would say "ok" and turn around and leave? If they were there for confiscation reasons you would be handcuffed on the floor watching your non-nfa collection walk out the door.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I never comment on threads of this topic because I don't really know anything at all about them. But I would say this. Your only safe guns are those bought FTF, no record at all, and hope the person you bought it from didn't keep record of the sale to cover their own butt. Oh, and you'd need to store them somewhere off premises, either buried deep or at someone's house that you trust that also has never bought a firearm at all. That way there is no reason to go look there.

I think the bigger question/concern is, what are you and every other gun owner prepared to do if they start physically taking guns? I hear people screaming all the time that "if they come to take them, it's war". Well, I don't believe many would truly do that. I'm not advocating or insinuating that anyone should take violent action. If they go house by house confiscating SBR's and people give them up, then it's already over. Fortunately or unfortunately I'm a law abiding citizen with too much to lose outside of my gun collection. So there won't be much fight here.

And if you're prepared to lie, hide, cover what you own, then why do the paper work for SBR or anything else? Obviously the law doesn't matter to you (I'm not stating anyone in particular I'm saying "you" in general). Just chop the barrel and make if full auto on your own and hide it away.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
ETA: don't_tread_on-me: If the feds showed up on your doorstep and you said "I sold those guns" do you really think they would say "ok" and turn around and leave? If they were there for confiscation reasons you would be handcuffed on the floor watching your non-nfa collection walk out the door.
They may search,but who said they would find anything?Like I said I know there are other ways to find you,I just meant that it was an easy starting point for potential(in their minds) trouble makers.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
These speculative AWB threads are getting damn old. Some people need to get it through their noggin that this is not ARFCOM GD.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I posted a reply to this but for some reason it didn't go through.

I am not too worried. I would hope that by the time the ATF starts knocking on doors I would hope that we would have already banded together as Brothers in Arms to fight as FREE MEN.

Besides, for every NFA firearm I have there are a couple more in the safe that could be altered easily if needs be (expect for my XCR, I still need to get another lower).

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
At east here in VA the only thing the government knows is that I applied for a background check but I could have decided at the last moment not purchase the gun, the background check still went through and cleared but the purchase and transfer never took place. In VA, there are two forms, one yellow and one white. The white form is the background check form. The yellow form is the transfer form. The dealer keep both forms and must keep them for a set length of time (I don't remember off top of my head). The gov does not know what serial number or what type of weapon was purchased. That is until you go SBR.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
VB first let me say that I respect you immensely so please don't take offense to what I'm about to say.First his question wasn't in reference to another AWB.Second this is a public forum and your not obligated to read anyone's post.This is a great forum,in my opinion the best,and I in no way way want to degrade it in any way.I love the debate and coversation and the way everyone has respect for one another even thought we at times disagree.However I don't see how speculation or discussing possible legislation offends anyone.Granted it might not be very productive,but I don't see the problem with asking questions as long as people are civil to each other.Again no disrespect or offense meant to you or anyone else.

·
Registered
702 Posts
XCRfan, "everyone" who purchases "any" firearm from a dealer fills out a 4473 form (it is the white form). When you are finished filling it out, the "dealer" adds the serial number, caliber and description and may not do it in your presents but that info "will be" on that form. You may not be aware of it but the feds "can" get access to that form and they "will know" everyting they need to track that weapon down provided it has not been sold FTF or stolen.

MadDog :duh:

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The only problem with the idea that we would fight is that in order for that to happen, the media would have to report it, which is likely unless Obama asks the mainstream media to not cover it, which we all know they would do because he asked nicely. So unless it was announced ahead of time, which it would most likely not be, I don't see us banding together to fight for our rights. Most people are talk until the have to start walking. Then it's a different story. :-[

I too would like to think we would all join forces. I just don't see it unless we start to organize in some fashion. Organize things like rally points, weapons caches, ammo caches, etc. These would have to be done all over the place. No more than a few hundred miles apart, etc, until there can be bigger groups organized.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
The only problem with the idea that we would fight is that in order for that to happen, the media would have to report it, which is likely unless Obama asks the mainstream media to not cover it, which we all know they would do because he asked nicely. So unless it was announced ahead of time, which it would most likely not be, I don't see us banding together to fight for our rights. Most people are talk until the have to start walking. Then it's a different story.

I too would like to think we would all join forces. I just don't see it unless we start to organize in some fashion. Organize things like rally points, weapons caches, ammo caches, etc. These would have to be done all over the place. No more than a few hundred miles apart, etc, until there can be bigger groups organized.
Hmm...sounds like a Militia to me. ;D

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I would think that We the People would see the changes in the air before doors start being kicked in. I don't think it will happen overnight.

·
Registered
268 Posts
... I don't see us banding together to fight for our rights. ...
I agree that an outright gun ban, followed by forced confiscation, would not necessarily lead to some sort of armed revolt, by itself, but the point has been made by many that making guns illegal won't make them disappear. They'll continue to be available to those who are willing to disregard the law to posses one. It's the fundamental flaw with the argument that banning guns will reduce crime. The excrement won't truly hit the fan until, and unless, a large enough fraction of the population loose faith in their government and cease to care about conforming to its rules and regulations. I suppose that gun enthusiasts, who managed to stashed away a rifle or two to prevent it's confiscation, would just be a bit ahead of the game at that point. I honestly don't see much point in going out in Ruby Ridge fasion.

·
Registered
549 Posts
If you go to officer.com and other police forums, you will see that a HUGE majority of police say they would never have the balls to go door to door and confiscate weapons - there just are NOT ENOUGH of THEM versus US.

Heck, the ATF has 240,000+ registered machine guns alone in america....how many agents? 300?

Give it up...this isn't Europe or Australia, and we were NOT raised to be a SERF society....we don't blindly follow every goobers lead.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
God bless the good ol' USofRA >:D

·
Registered
268 Posts
... Give it up...this isn't Europe or Australia, and we were NOT raised to be a SERF society....we don't blindly follow every goobers lead.
I meet those people every day. I'm not sure Americans are as different or special as you're suggesting.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Well, in the south, there are PLENTY of people who will refuse to give up their guns. Alot of them live on their own land in woods or wherever. If they come to get them, there better be lots of THEM.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts