XCR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6,528 Posts
The complete opposite to Variablebinary''s commentary. This is closer to what I have heard from people who have used them and closer to expectations from FN. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
207 Posts
My dealer (that I bought my XCR through of course ;) , plus a bunch of other guns) tells me he will guarantee one for MSRP for me. I can't wait! >:D

·
Registered
919 Posts
Wondering here how the barrel swapping on the SCAR compares to that of an XCR.

Also wonder what these same soldiers would say if you handed them a stack of XCR's and told them to have some fun.

·
Registered
6,528 Posts
With a .308 version they would probably like it.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Terra, You can ALWAYS play. ;D

Mickey, I agree. I would like some bench time with the .308 version. >:D

·
Registered
90 Posts
MickeyC, the article seemed to compare the SCAR to the M4 while VB mostly compared it to the XCR. Different perspectives and points of reference.

I could probably learn to like a SCAR if someone wants to donate one to the cause... or a XCR-M

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dream........ a .260 Remingron Battle Rifle.... WTF Henry...how innovative.

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
Dam, was that a review I just read or a marketing brochure? Actually when it comes to gun magazines, it seems all reviews are marketing brochures.

·
Registered
6,528 Posts
I think the issue with gun reviews tends to be the issue of lawsuits and the possibility of blacklisted by the manufacturers for giving a bad review. The article here however seems to be a report of an actual range session and not a review per se.

As for preferring 7.61x51 to 5.56. I remember doing CQB with L1A1 rifles, and while not having automatic seems to be an issue for some, it usually only takes one to take someone down. SOP when you saw a target duck behind a wall was to simply shoot him through the wall. Heck, in full combat when going into defended buildings we used to fight straight to the top and then clear down, that way you drive the bad guys into your exterior killing groups. Before going up a floor we would use the GPMG (M240) and spray through the ceilings whilst your exterior groups are spraying the upper floors form outside. There is a lot to be said for the knockdown and penetration of a 7.62x51. HRT is totally different to opposed structure clearing but then, you would use a different weapon for that anyway.

With more modern technology, such as the .308 brake on the end of my FAL barrel, recoil of the FAL during rapid fire is not an issue. Even on full auto it is a puppy to shoot. Combining this recoil management with the XCR ergonomics would produce a very nice rifle. A few little tweaks such as an ejection port cover as well as a slightly longer upper rail and a better folding stock and the result would be near perfect weapon. Light, manageable recoil, good ergonomics, good fire control.

I think the SCAR and XCR have a lot in common. Sure, Alex came up with some things in the XCR ergonomics that are really quite good. The SCAR also has some features that are better with respect to US military use. sometimes the leap can be a littl etoo big. Over time the XCR may prove to be a better tool, who knows.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I think the issue with gun reviews tends to be the issue of lawsuits and the possibility of blacklisted by the manufacturers for giving a bad review. The article here however seems to be a report of an actual range session and not a review per se.

As for preferring 7.61x51 to 5.56. I remember doing CQB with L1A1 rifles, and while not having automatic seems to be an issue for some, it usually only takes one to take someone down. SOP when you saw a target duck behind a wall was to simply shoot him through the wall. Heck, in full combat when going into defended buildings we used to fight straight to the top and then clear down, that way you drive the bad guys into your exterior killing groups. Before going up a floor we would use the GPMG (M240) and spray through the ceilings whilst your exterior groups are spraying the upper floors form outside. There is a lot to be said for the knockdown and penetration of a 7.62x51. HRT is totally different to opposed structure clearing but then, you would use a different weapon for that anyway.

With more modern technology, such as the .308 brake on the end of my FAL barrel, recoil of the FAL during rapid fire is not an issue. Even on full auto it is a puppy to shoot. Combining this recoil management with the XCR ergonomics would produce a very nice rifle. A few little tweaks such as an ejection port cover as well as a slightly longer upper rail and a better folding stock and the result would be near perfect weapon. Light, manageable recoil, good ergonomics, good fire control.

I think the SCAR and XCR have a lot in common. Sure, Alex came up with some things in the XCR ergonomics that are really quite good. The SCAR also has some features that are better with respect to US military use. sometimes the leap can be a littl etoo big. Over time the XCR may prove to be a better tool, who knows.
The .308 is positively devastating in comparison to the 5.56. As stated a light controllable weapon in .308 caliber would be ideal. The new Keltec bullpup is interesting but the live fire demos of said weapon demonstrate clearly that the caliber is no friend to an overly light platform. The Keltec is cool though.

·
Registered
919 Posts
With a .308 version they would probably like it.
I'd think they would probably want a different stock too... But I'm still unsure about the SCAR stock. I need to know it can take a beating, or more specifically, dish one out and still work.

Dam, was that a review I just read or a marketing brochure? Actually when it comes to gun magazines, it seems all reviews are marketing brochures.
Well as long as you are buying guns the gun magazines have something to write about.

The .308 is positively devastating in comparison to the 5.56. As stated a light controllable weapon in .308 caliber would be ideal. The new Keltec bullpup is interesting but the live fire demos of said weapon demonstrate clearly that the caliber is no friend to an overly light platform. The Keltec is cool though.
How much more does .308 ammo weigh than 5.56. In the army I had the privileged of lugging around copious amounts of ammo andI can tell you 1200 rounds of 556 is HEAVY(I had a phobia of my saw running dry)! But I was an AR and a normal riflemen wouldn't carry that much, but still when I was over seas our riflemen usual carried about 450 rounds with them give or take. And the thing with combat loads is even if the round is more powerful, since most of the rounds you fire in combat don't actually hit anything you still need to carry just as many.

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
Well as long as you are buying guns the gun magazines have something to write about.

That's why gun mags sucks. But people always fall for them so I understand that SOP for them seems to be working just fine. All you have to do is get a couple of soldiers to say "this gun is great" and all of a sudden it appears to are speaking for all soldiers :D

·
Registered
919 Posts

That's why gun mags sucks. But people always fall for them so I understand that SOP for them seems to be working just fine. All you have to do is get a couple of soldiers to say "this gun is great" and all of a sudden it appears to are speaking for all soldiers :D
Ya just like all these cool gear that is always advertised "used by the US army". AKA Some person that happens to be in the army, possible a cook, at one time bought this product.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
MickeyC, what brake are you running on your FAL?

·
Registered
512 Posts
From steel to alloy to plastic ???
Retarded.
But its an FNH ;D ,oh golly gee whiz ,its plastic retard.

·
Registered
6,528 Posts
PWC

1 - 20 of 41 Posts