XCR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I know just about nothing when it comes to scopes. I ordered an XCR in 5.56 and will get a 6.5 kit later. When I shoot 5.56 I'll use irons, but for 6.5 I think a scope would make more sense because of the range of a 6.5 round. Does anyone have any suggestions on rugged scopes that will work will for the 6.5? I'm not a super long distance shoot type of guy so I don't think I need to seeing out past 800 yrds.

·
Registered
923 Posts
If you could provide a price range and what type of accuracy you expect I am sure someone could help you out. You just need to be a little more specific on your needs or wants

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Like I said I know diddly about scopes. I think about $700 is gonna be my price range, and I already know about ACOG's half my unit has them.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Oh, and I think 1 inch groups @ 600 meters is good enough.
Damn I hope that was supposed to be funny.Anyway tell us what type of shooting you'll most likely be doing.Not all optics work well for all applications.If your doing mostly short range stuff a descent red dot or EOtech will work.If your doing mid range stuff a 1x4,1.5x5,or 2x6 power might be in order.It all depends on application.If you use quick detach mount you can swap back and forth between a red dot and a magnified optic for whatever you need it to do,with little or no change in zero.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No I was serious. Like I said all I know about scopes is "ACOG". I'd like to be able to take down a deer,bear,elk, or moose at around 600 meters.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
A Millett DMS1 or Burris 1x4 in a LaRue mount and you'll do very well for most things you'd do with an XCR. For serious hunting though I'd get a 3x9, a little more versatility and better for dawn/dusk shots. Burris, Leupold would be good, and they are at most local WalMarts too. If you don't bang it around too much you could almost use just about any brand out there really.

Most rounds will still be very lethal at that range for certain but maybe some of the hunters around here can chime in with better advice. You can get a hit, sure, but will it be in a sportsmanlike manner.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Oh, and I think 1 inch groups @ 600 meters is good enough.
:laughposter:
My spotters rifle (some folks call 'em a designated marskman rifle) puts 'em all in 1" at 300 yards.

There's a bunch of difference between 1" at 300 yards and 1" at 660 yards.

Think an XCR will do that? HA! DOUBLE HA!

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I really don't have any hunting experience and in my eyes, shooting an animal from 5 football fields away is odd........ thats just my opinion. One of the things I like about the XCR is that it seems to be a "do all" rifle. 5.56 is good for home defense,plinking and varmints and 6.5 is good for big game at medium range. How can you loose????

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
My spotters rifle (some folks call 'em a designated marskman rifle) puts 'em all in 1" at 300 yards.

There's a bunch of difference between 1" at 300 yards and 1" at 660 yards.

Think an XCR will do that? HA! DOUBLE HA!
Bravo,is pretty spot on,as usual.One inch groups at 600 yards ain't a rifle it's a laserbeam.A rifle that will print a 1 inch groups at 600 yards is less than .25 M.O.A.(minute of angle) capable,which is exceptional=serious weapon,that equals serious money.
Insert Quote
I really don't have any hunting experience and in my eyes, shooting an animal from 5 football fields away is odd........ thats just my opinion. One of the things I like about the XCR is that it seems to be a "do all" rifle. 5.56 is good for home defense,plinking and varmints and 6.5 is good for big game at medium range. How can you loose?
I wouldn't say it's odd,but it's sniping not hunting,that of course is my opinion.As a matter of fact,most people don't have the skill level and practise necessary to even attempt a shot on game much past 350 yards.I'm not including Varmints in that,but you still owe it to the game to make a clean kill.I personally think that includes shooting at running game,unless you are well practised,or are attempting to anchor a poor first shot.Big,hairy,clawed,or hoofed game also excluded of course if it's trying to stomp you to death or eat you!
The 6.5 I would say is cartridge better suited to deer size big game,moose maybe with good shot placement and under 250 yard shots.Anything more and your stretching the capability of the round.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Long range groups:
A couple of my great good friends build rifles that shoot in the 1/10th MOA or slightly better. That's when everything comes together right - they won't guarantee work for less than 1/4 MOA typically.

That having been said, 1" at 660 yards is TOUGH even for them. I've got a nice target shot at 407 yards (laser ranged) with three in one hole, fourth about 1/8" off. Those are "top flight" boltguns - much MUCH finer than any M24 or M40 ever issued.

To expect anything even close from a gasgun is......... wishful thinking. My opinion.

I know a fellow that does 'extreme long range hunting'. We're talking about hitting elk - and killing with the first round - at close to 1100 yards. One of my advanced sniper school instructors killed a deer that was stupid enough to stand next to the 1000 yard steel once.

But nobody I know would try a long-range kill with a cartridge as small as the 6.5 Grendel.
Think of it this way......
The 6.5 Grendel is a short and small version of the 260. We'll call the 260 a "Grendel SSM" for the purpose of this argument. My sniper stick is chambered for the 6.5 Swede - but run up to modern rifle pressures. That's a longer version of the 260 - we can call the Swede a "Grendel Magnum".

My Swede is a laser beam that kills West Texas deer like an atom bomb - but that's a 140 grain Remington KoreLokt bullet at over 2900 fps. Best of luck getting anywhere near that performance from the Swede.

So take the ballistics, and the accuracy, all into account. When you get done, I'd say that the Grendel - if you've got a decent bullet - in the XCR should be a decent hunting rig to maybe 300 yards. I can't see going past 400 anyway, and that's with some real proficiency. I'd feel good with zapping a deer at 400 with that rig...... but only in specific circumstances. Picky on shots.

Money back guarantee: I guarantee that this information is worth everything you paid for it, or double your money back.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Dunno if that was aimed at me or not......

If so, feel free to come shooting with me any time.

FWIW, my partner for the sniper school took first place in the Idaho state championship - that's just 1000 yards......

One of the two rifle builders that I spoke of is the Navy's NM team armorer. He builds almost all of my sticks.

The other guy - well, I'll see if I can't find the pic of that target. I know I've got it, it's just a matter of finding it.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Check out Leopold. They make some really good scopes. Also Bushnell Elite series. Both have really clear glass and have never failed me. I have tried the cheaper Bushnells, Nikons, and Simmons. But in the end you get what you pay for. I say go check them out at a local gun store (Bass Pro Shops, Cabelas) and get a feel for what you want. There are many different features out there, ie... magnification, reticle type, fogproof, waterproof, etc. Good Luck. Hope this helps a little. Maybe someone on here will give advice on the topic rather than trying to bust someone's chops for a statement made.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
If only the people here actually knew ballistics, gun design, bullet/case/powder reloading and the US and world shooting records, they wouldn't be aiming so high (pun intended) and making such grandiose claims
Please clarify.

·
Registered
201 Posts
ROFLMAO!!! That is good stuff.

Hopefully he's just funning with us.

Even with a rifle suited for the task, you would need some serious range time before being proficient at that kind of marksmanship. I just never considered the XCR to be a long range hunting rig.

As an avid hunter who hunts wide open country I have to ask why you would think you will have to take that long of a shot? I would work at developing some stalking skills.

The deepest cover where I hunt is about ankle deep and I am able to get within 200-350 yds. I won't shoot if it's over 400. And that is laying down with a bi-pod and a .270. Not trying to preach ethics. There are guys out there capable of making ethical shots beyond that.

As for the question at hand, a Burris or Leupold tactical would probably be a good choice.

http://www.swfa.com/pc-6146-311-leupold-25-8x36-mark-4-mrt-30mm-riflescope.aspx

These are only 3x but would really be suited to the rifle. Lot's of other good choices out there though.

http://www.swfa.com/pc-3181-270-leupold-1-3x14-mark-4-cqt-riflescope.aspx

http://www.swfa.com/pc-14259-2734-new-burris-3x32-ar-tactical-sight.aspx

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
You said super heavy duty.
The cheapest heavy scope I know of would be the Leupold Mark 4. One of my mentors helped design it, I helped the Leupold guy test-run the BDC dial for the M3 version. Those are all fixed power 10X sights, unless you find an older (discontinued) 6X. Some parts aren't interchangeable between the 6X and the 10X, so if you get a 6X - you've got what you've got and that's all.

The next step up would be Nightforce. About the same money, but better.

The next step above that is S&B. The PMII is a LOVELY piece of glass. About double the price of the Leupold or the Nightforce.

All of these scopes have tube thicknesses at least double the industry standard. The Mark 4 line came out of a purpose-built military contract, the Nightforce and the S&B both came out to compete with the Leupold. The S&B, particularly, was the replacement for the Unertl scope on the M40 rifles....... until john williams (now dead) of US Optics stuck his oversized snout into the mix.

Best bang for the buck is Nightforce, IMO, even though I don't much care for the way they do their mildots.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
If only the people here actually knew ballistics, gun design, bullet/case/powder reloading and the US and world shooting records, they wouldn't be aiming so high (pun intended) and making such grandiose claims
Please clarify.
Yep, we're all just poor, unknowing fooktards around these parts. Just got running water last week and some snake oil dealer said he was a bringin' sumthin called "shoos", whatever that is.

Hey Bravo, I got one of those USO/Unertl's. That thing is built like the device that destroys the brick sh!thouses. Had to get the right glass on my M40 and had a buttlaod of CZTE and HFP from a deployment back in '02. It's nice and solid but that fixed 10x limits it up close.

I've got one of those 6x Mk4 M3's (still with the original M118 dial too) on an AR10 and it is almost perfect for that rifle.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts