XCR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed in the manual that the adjustable gas selector can be set to a 'closed' position, effectively creating a locked bolt, single shot situation. Would this setting damage anything or cause any issues? I'm wondering if the closed bolt would make suppressed fire more quiet...

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
I don't think there is a really secure way to rotate the gas valve and not be worried about it blowing off after a shot or two. There isn't a position for "off".

Most subsonic loads won't cycle the action, that'd be the way I'd go if it was an issue.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Damage something? Hardly.

Remember, most of the older generation autoloaders had that option. For launching grenades.

The M14, for instance, has a spindle on the gas system. Turn it 90 degrees, no gas gets through. I've used the rifle like that too - when I didn't want flying brass to give away my position (GRIN)

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I don't think there is a really secure way to rotate the gas valve and not be worried about it blowing off after a shot or two. There isn't a position for "off".

Most subsonic loads won't cycle the action, that'd be the way I'd go if it was an issue.
Yes, there is a position for "off"... check the manual. I use it regularly now to check the condition of the first few rounds of a new load, since my rifle will normally eject forward of the line.

The valve doesn't have a super-strong seal (little bit of play in its spot in the gas block) and even in the off position, I believe a tiny bit of gas gets around the plug and to the piston... The carrier will retract a millimeter or two with a hot load.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great info, Thanks. Retaining brass for inspection is an excellent example for the 'off' setting.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Terra,

Yea, I read that too. I noticed that you can tell if the dial is loose, but I sure don't want to have to did thru the weeds to find that little sucker :duh:

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Terra brings up a very good point... Like I said, *check the manual* before proceeding... I think it is the position between 4 and S that is "off", but don't remember right off hand. One large gap in the numbered settings is "off", the other is for removing the gas plug, and yes, I imagine you could launch the plug well down range if you fired it in the loose/removal position. If at the range and you don't have the manual, you can check by pulling the gas plug forward after making your adjustment. If it comes out, well, that is not the setting you want. If you pull hard forward, and it doesn't move, that is the "off" setting. As with any normal gas setting, I'd make sure the detent is all the way out before firing; otherwise you are between settings.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
ny-

I was referring to a "notch" on the plug for "off".

I worry about loosing that sucker that when I get the gumption I'm safety wiring that puppy to the rifel!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts