XCR Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
22,403 Posts
Judging by Sig's track record with rifles, I wouldn't rush out to get one until Gen 2 or a couple years have passed (after the hype settles). And I'm saying this as a repeat Sig customer; not a slam, it's the truth.
I thought Sig already released the SIG 7.62x39 2nd version and it solved all the problems with the 1st gen?

·
Registered
22,403 Posts
I have also noticed that he has worked on his prickly personality, and seems more customer friendly.
I really hope so....he and I have butted heads and I still think he's probably a really nice guy that just doesn't handle constructive criticism all that well (who does?).

Reactions: Bravo

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
I thought Sig already released the SIG 7.62x39 2nd version and it solved all the problems with the 1st gen?

Specific to the Sig556R which is a dedicated rifle... yes, they do finally have a working x39 rifle with the Gen2. Without having the new Xi in hand to compare side by side, who knows what new variable they've added into the equation.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
The Gen 1 556R was a dog. The Gen 2 version runs pretty well. They need to redesign their safety (extend it) to make it easier to actuate. Mark Krebs came up with the perfect fix for the problem.

I have a Gen2 556R. It's great, except for the following:
1. Front take down pin detent is sticky and may not always engage the pin upon reassembly. This causes the pint to walk out during shooting.
2. The classic swiss style front handguard is sized a little small in relation to the gas block and rattles. This is a long standing issue with the 556 classic. Being a long standing issue, a sig and a rifle costing more than $1000, there's really no excuse that it's still an issue. I am thinking of using some JB Weld or some other epoxy to add a little bit more material to the front end of the handguard to take up the slack.

As for the selector, I have the Krebs and it works great. Manticore Arms has a nice one too.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Troy makes a rail system that will work on the 556R, with the exception that there is no place to lock the stock to when folded. A few minutes at a quality hardware store, and you could probably come up with a solution. The two stage trigger is another variable. Sig needs to offer a single stage trigger as an option.

·
Registered
22,403 Posts
Specific to the Sig556R which is a dedicated rifle... yes, they do finally have a working x39 rifle with the Gen2. Without having the new Xi in hand to compare side by side, who knows what new variable they've added into the equation.
Thanks...I was just curious since at one time, I was considering the 556R (still not used to the name). :)

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Troy makes a rail system that will work on the 556R, with the exception that there is no place to lock the stock to when folded. A few minutes at a quality hardware store, and you could probably come up with a solution. The two stage trigger is another variable. Sig needs to offer a single stage trigger as an option.

Yah, the trigger is not great and sub-par for a gun at this price point. I do have a "match" trigger made by a guy on the Sig556 forum, but have yet to install it.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Yah, the trigger is not great and sub-par for a gun at this price point. I do have a "match" trigger made by a guy on the Sig556 forum, but have yet to install it.
I am familiar with that trigger. There are some custom springs that you can also acquire to make it even better. The difference between that and the stock trigger is night and day. It has improved geometry which reduces drag/resistance so your BCG moves freely with no hang up.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I blame the manufacturers of the mags more the Alex. He can't control what gets shipped out by them. And he is to small to put pressure on them to tighten up.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I blame the manufacturers of the mags more then Alex. He can't control what gets shipped out by them. And he is to small to put pressure on them to tighten up. Other platforms have the same issues from what I've read. Am I misinformed?

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I blame the manufacturers of the mags more then Alex. He can't control what gets shipped out by them. And he is to small to put pressure on them to tighten up. Other platforms have the same issues from what I've read. Am I misinformed?
I don't believe that it is the gun, because if you tweak the mags they will eventually run fine.

·
Registered
22,403 Posts
I disagree. The problem is the tapered case of a X39 round coupled with a straight wall required on a STANAG mag. It's a recipe for feeding problems. Yes, the mag mfgs are to blame but the problem is inherent to a straight mag well coupled with a heavily tapered case. A constant radius design (such as the VZ or AK mag) solves the issue...but isn't an option with the current size STANAG magwell.

·
Registered
22,403 Posts
I don't believe that it is the gun, because if you tweak the mags they will eventually run fine.
Mags are wear items though....while I have 20+ that run, I realize I got lucky and I also realize that spring tension will fade with time and mag geometry can be problematic after using them repeatedly.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Thanks Sean that answers a lot for me! I was just about to look up where the problem lies. So knowing this what is the solution? It seems like spring pressure will solve alot of my issues.

Tech, actually so far nobody can make these mags 100% bet your life in combat reliable on this forum.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Thanks Sean that answers a lot for me! I was just about to look up where the problem lies. So knowing this what is the solution? It seems like spring pressure will solve alot of my issues.

Tech, actually so far nobody can make these mags 100% bet your life in combat reliable on this forum.

Hate to say it, but... ditch the x39 conversion. Run a rifle that was designed for the cartridge from the start with AK mags (even the cheap Tapcos have proven to be reliable for me, perhaps not as durable as others... but they work). This is if that mystery new x39 Stanag mag doesn't pan out.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Hate to say it, but... ditch the x39 conversion. Run a rifle that was designed for the cartridge from the start with AK mags (even the cheap Tapcos have proven to be reliable for me, perhaps not as durable as others... but they work). This is if that mystery new x39 Stanag mag doesn't pan out.
Running the 7.6239 in a Stanag mag is like running a 1911. You have to tweak them from time to time. Where the X39 shines is in those 8" barrel configurations. A 5.56 in the same arrangement is pretty lackluster.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Yeah I know I can go to 5.56, but I don't wanna. I'm Gona order springs and go from there
Someone had once suggested that Hornady made a case lube for reloading, that doesn't attract particulate matter. It was reported that you could wipe down the insides of you mags and it would help them feed more efficiently. Never tried it, but...

·
Registered
22,403 Posts
^This is the real solution. X39 is never going to be "battle" reliable out of a STANAG magwell, IMO. Hence the reason why a dedicated AK mag lower from RA would be a good choice....but it'll never happen.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Okay hoag what are these mags your talking about. Don't hold out on us.
OK, Tommy (et al), here we go ...

Building House Rectangle Flooring Asphalt
I got my hands on some Press Check Ventures PCV-50 (Gen2) magazines today. These mags are probably better news for Canadian XCR-L users than for those in the US because of our convoluted laws. They are 5 round .50 Beowulf mags designed specifically to fit into an AR platform/magwell. Because they are designed for .50 Beowulf, there are 2 significant benefits:
1. The cut-out is big enough to fit a .50 Beowulf through so .223/5.56, 6.8SPC and 7.62x39 will all fit without any risk of catching or hanging up as the round feeds.
2. Although they are 5 round magazines,and clearly marked as such, that is 5 rounds of .50 Beowulf. They can fit 12-15 rounds of .223/5.56 and slightly fewer 6.8SPC or 7.62x39. This is really a benefit to the Canadians because of Para 4 to RCMP Special Bulletin 72 Maximum Permitted Magazine Capacity - Royal Canadian Mounted Police. These mags will allow Canadian users to legally* (as of today) load 12+ rounds into their XCR-L.
(*Note: I'm not a lawyer. I don't play one on TV, and I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so do not take that as legal advice. :)
The RCMP have demonstrated that they can and will change the rules as they see fit.)

Here is a quick video of one at a range:

And one of it being used in a TAVOR:

I have not had mine to the range yet, so I can not speak from first hand knowledge, but it seems that PCV has hit a balance between reliability and capacity.

Oh, and BTW, because of the issues with magazine capacity in Canada, these go FAST, so if you are considering getting one (some) don't wait too long, or you might be outa luck.

Hope this helps.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts