XCR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Firing Line just listed the SGP556001 10.5" barrel w/red dot sight for $1,704.89. Whoa! I mean shit! Thats over the top man!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update. Just checked Gunbroker this morning and a dealer here in NC has it "But it now" for $1500. Looks like its coming in just under the SWAT model price wise. As with all new sticks out there prices will vary widely from dealer to dealer. Definitely gonna keep an eye on this one though. At $1200 to $1300 I'd think hard on it. With the 55X's its like this, in order to get that bad ass SBR look/compactness you need an entirely new gas system to go with that short barrel. Enter the "pistol" version. While the XCR looks mean as hell with a bolt on 12.5 incher the 556 with a cut down tube and standard handguards(551 style) just don't get it for me. This is crazy for sure but its a hair bit saner than hunting up a 551 lower kit for $2500 minimum and converting to Swiss spec.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Even $1200 is insane. I'd rather put that $1200 into a SCAR SBR project this to be honest. It sure as hell is the better product. You could put thousands into a 556 pistol project and it will never be on par with the XCR and SCAR...

However if novelty and nostalgia are your goal...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
However if novelty and nostalgia are your goal...
Thats it really, just another worthy addition to the collection. Go to tool well now maybe thats another matter. For me the fun is as much in the collecting as the shooting. Each weapon is a unique example of its designers grasp of the art. And in some cases more than just a footnote in history. I'm just an average schmo with average means but I've always found a way of making it happen if I want something. And you VB with those superb shots of the SCAR you keep pulling out of your hat have got those wheels in my noggin turning in its direction as well. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
If you can't SBR it, whats the point? I thought that was why everyone wanted them.

1700+200+whatever the stock costs+ 400 for an Aimpoint = ~$2600, which is about what I have in my 10.5" AR.

But if you can't SBR it, its just like going to the strip club... looks good, but no payoff.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you can't SBR it, whats the point? I thought that was why everyone wanted them.

1700+200+whatever the stock costs+ 400 for an Aimpoint = ~00, which is about what I have in my 10.5" AR.

But if you can't SBR it, its just like going to the strip club... looks good, but no payoff.
I Like the strip club analogy.
The latest has it that the lower its coming with will present no problem as concerns adding a stock. Folks with 556 rifles in hand can simply use that lower assembly to plug and play. And yes thats why we want them, to SBR them. The cost we are talking about here with the 556 system IE 556 pistol + 556 rifle lower is still way cheaper than going the full on Swiss 552 clone route. Plus I happen to favor the USGI mag interface over the original Swiss. This is good news for those of us agonizing over having to flip for a nearing unobtainable SG552 kit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts