XCR Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I learned over the past few days that I have been home that our local squirrel population seems to have increased significantly over the past year. I was out doing yard work and noticed all the little holes in the yard and saw 3-4 always in either my front or back yard.

Enough was enough.

I grabbed my 10/22, screwed on the can and grabbed a handful of the Aguila Super Colibri. These are the 22 short rounds with no gunpowder and 20gr bullets, propelled only by the primer. When shot all you hear is the bolt (suppressed, without the can you hear a good little pop). These bullets are only moving around 400fps but with the right placement can deliver a kill. The downside is they are limited to a pretty short range.

Well, my neighbor was outside doing some gardening with her back to me (don't think she would have approved of hurting those cute cuddly squirrels). I took a headshot and dropped one in the middle of the yard without anyone knowing. I have enough squirrel that I went ahead and skinned him and put him in the freezer (great time to show the 5 and 3 year old how to skin a squirrel) for a stew. I figure within a few days I should have enough for a decent meal.

Moral of the story, EVERYONE needs to own at least one .22 can.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
My buddy always called it Mulligan stew, said his parents fed them squirrel when he was a kid. I went squirrel hunting with him once. It rained the whole time and we didn't see anything. We got back to town and there were four or five of them running around his parking lot.

My wife planted a garden last summer and the squirrels ate all the corn, we didn't get one piece. This year, I have a box of Colibris with their name on it. No silencer but I will shoot from inside the house so the neighbors won't hear.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I shot one out of the tree in my front yard from inside the house with a pellet gun. I had opened the window and removed the screen from the front door. Sat there for an hour waiting on him to return. One shot to the head and he fell to the ground dead. Later that day, it was on my front door step. Someone must have seen it. The next month, the city published an article in the utility bill about shooting squirrels in the city limits and that you could face jail time.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I shot one out of the tree in my front yard from inside the house with a pellet gun. I had opened the window and removed the screen from the front door. Sat there for an hour waiting on him to return. One shot to the head and he fell to the ground dead. Later that day, it was on my front door step. Someone must have seen it. The next month, the city published an article in the utility bill about shooting squirrels in the city limits and that you could face jail time.
You have some nosy, stupid liberal neighbors... :rofl:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Next time instead of leaving it drop, go out front and skin it right there.

Grill it on a stick, and then eat it while sitting on your front porch.

When you are done, make a necklace out of the bones.

I doubt anyone bothers you after that.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Next time instead of leaving it drop, go out front and skin it right there.

Grill it on a stick, and then eat it while sitting on your front porch.

When you are done, make a necklace out of the bones.

I doubt anyone bothers you after that.
Mine would FREAK out. I am sure there would be a neighborhood covenant change at the next meeting.

Squirrel is like other game, cooked correctly it tastes fine.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You have some nosy, stupid liberal neighbors... :rofl:
The damn thing is, I don't know who it was. All of my neighbors are pretty nice. A couple of my neighbors would shoot 'em with me.

The whole skinnin em and eatin em in the front yard would be hilarious, except my neighbors would probably call the psychiatric unit on me.
Maybe I should grill one up for them too that way they wouldn't be jealous.

P.S. What is the right way to cook up squirrel?

·
Registered
327 Posts

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Search online, there are some interesting recipes. Broiled then baked sounds good. You can also BBQ them. That is what I want to do, keep shooting them then have a neighborhood BBQ, give everyone a skewer and slide a squirrel onto it. The look on their faces will be priceless.

·
Registered
503 Posts
You need to make sure you post some squirrel heads on stakes in the yard too so the other squirrels know who's boss. :2cents:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts