XCR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here I am playing on the comp while my wife gets ready for work and came across a Terra vid by chance

Looks like you are having way too much fun...

Here is another. Damn the XCR can fling brass...was that really on gas setting 2?

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
you should try aiming :raspberry:

I'll forgive you for that since you can hear terra starting to yell at her friend for calling a mag a clip :D

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Hey Terra, what do people going deaf hear?

Sadly, I know the answer. :(
If you are like me - it is a constant ringing in your ears and the medical term is tinnitis...

It SUCKS and had I realized what all that shooting and loud music was doing over the years - I never would have shot without protecting my ears - and would have turned the volume down long ago!!! :mad:

The loss cannot be reversed or recovered.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I think eye protection with rifles isn't that important. Pistols on the other hand I think its essential. I shot my glock17 and beretta vertec M96 last summer and I can't remember with which pistol but I didn't wear eye protection and I got a nice blast of partially burn powder in the eyes that certainly was not pleasant. I have shot rifles for years and never had that problem but now as a precaution I wear sunglasses at the least when shooting rifle or pistol.

·
Registered
447 Posts
hmmm... I think 1redgmc might be chiming in with a rifle/eye protection story. I seem to remember it involving an XCR too. :eek:

And yes, us old guys that are going deaf hear the most annoying, constant, never ending, buzz/ringing sound. The best I can describe it is like an annoying electronic ringing sound that an old TV might make. Only it turns out not to be the TV and no mater how hard you search, you can't find it. You can't get away from it, you can't turn it off and you can smack it all you want, but it is not going to stop.

The cure is to train your brain not to hear/pay attention to that particular sound. It is possible. I did it with my wife, I can do it with this. The problem is, just like the wife, sometimes it demands attention, and there is nothing you can do about it but give in and listen.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
The ringing in your ears is the result of hearing cells dying, and they don't grow back.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm paranoid about losing my hearing from shooting often. I often wear ear muffs and have foamies in my ear. I barely hear a pop with that combo.

Outdoors I just do foamies, but indoors, I always double up

·
Registered
512 Posts
Around Thanksgiving when i see my siblings that two of them became Doctors i brought this up once.
My sister is a Lib so she didn't say much ,but my Brother Hunts and he looked into this once.
He said he had some patients that had this affliction ,but some of them never fired a gun in their lives.
We think of Decibels in causing hearing loss but that isn't the only thing that can do this. The sounds wave can be damaging also.
Like the sound of some fans puts people to sleep is a Beta wave , the hum of a motor on a fan is Alpha and is annoying.
A shot from a 357 mag can cause instant hearing loss being a combination of both. But a factory worker working around a press deemed within the safe limits ,over a period of time can develop the same damage.
Sure always wear plugs when shooting ,but watch what you do in normal life also . He said one of the top 10 he saw that we all have done, was standing near a freeway filled with fast moving vehicles and the roar of the tires can be as bad as shooting a gun.
People living in a city have learned to tune this out ,where a person from the country finds it LOUD .
He was showing that guns are not the only thing that may have caused hearing loss.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
I think eye protection with rifles isn't that important. Pistols on the other hand I think its essential. I shot my glock17 and beretta vertec M96 last summer and I can't remember with which pistol but I didn't wear eye protection and I got a nice blast of partially burn powder in the eyes that certainly was not pleasant. I have shot rifles for years and never had that problem but now as a precaution I wear sunglasses at the least when shooting rifle or pistol.

I don't pass judgment on what anyone else does, everyone is responsible for what they do at the end of the day, but how important are your eyes? At least look for something with an ANSI Z87.1 rating, my :2cents:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
hmmm... I think 1redgmc might be chiming in with a rifle/eye protection story. I seem to remember it involving an XCR too. :eek:

And yes, us old guys that are going deaf hear the most annoying, constant, never ending, buzz/ringing sound. The best I can describe it is like an annoying electronic ringing sound that an old TV might make. Only it turns out not to be the TV and no mater how hard you search, you can't find it. You can't get away from it, you can't turn it off and you can smack it all you want, but it is not going to stop.

The cure is to train your brain not to hear/pay attention to that particular sound. It is possible. I did it with my wife, I can do it with this. The problem is, just like the wife, sometimes it demands attention, and there is nothing you can do about it but give in and listen.
Oh yes, the recent XCR / black eye incident... there is a pic of my after-impact results posted in another thread here somewhere... :duh:

Someone told me one time that William Shatner suffers from tinnitis and tried to commit suicide as a result. I never cared to confirm the 'story'... but could see where weak minded people might consider that as an option.

As for the comments made by VA above regarding the ability to tune out the 'noise'... now THAT IS FUNNY!!! ;D

·
Registered
874 Posts
I had my hearing checked at work the other day cause I work in a big refinery so there is alot of noise and you are expected to wear eye protection all the time. Anyways my hearing is perfect in my left ear but the nurse said my hearing in my right eye is slightly damaged. She then went on to ask me if I shoot alot of guns. I said ya. Then she asked if I used hearing protection. I said only when I shoot at a range. When I hunt I don't and I dont when I shoot 22lr. She then went on to tell me that is definitely the reason for my hearing loss in my right ear though it is just slight hearing loss. But I tell you I will never wear hearing protection when I hunt. Need the ability to hear my surroundings well is essential for that sort of activity.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Nope not legal. I would be basically giving my guns to the police for destruction and would be fined heavily and probably do jail time if I was ever caught with a Suppressor.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Electronic ear defenders.

I use them now as my left ear has a significant loss of high frequency sound while my right has overall losses.

Electronics help on both sides by giving normal or boosted hearing whilst also protecting. They can be pricey but are well worth it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts