XCR Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Historically, I mean. SBRs in one form or another are extremely handy and have been a common design for a hundred years. So why are they regulated in the same class as select fire weapons? Never quite been able to figure that out. I realize the NFA was a response to the hysteria over Dillinger and the like, just wondering if there was anything specifics going on relevant to the SBR?

tk

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Because they don't want everyone walking around with a sawed off shotgun under their coat. It really is stupid, just like a tax on silencers. Me to the rangemaster "I can't shoot my gun here because it isn't LOUD enough??? What kind of sense does that make?"

SBRs will continue to have a tax on them forever because it seems like once a law is put on the books regarding guns it is nearly impossible to get it back off.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
I bought an old issue of American Rifleman from 1968 I think it was. It was right before the Gun Control Act was signed into law. Some of the arguments were the same back then. There's a pic of a congressman from a southern state with a short barreled rifle (unknown type) on the House floor talking about how a lot of his voters carry them while outdoors for snakes.

Some NFA owners I know look at the extra cost as sort of making it a gentleman's club too. Their claim is that this is why you don't hear of many crimes being committed with them.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Because they don't want everyone walking around with a sawed off shotgun under their coat. It really is stupid, just like a tax on silencers. Me to the rangemaster "I can't shoot my gun here because it isn't LOUD enough??? What kind of sense does that make?"
The absurdity of that is mind-boggllng <g>

A couple of times a year, we have a problem at my club with some yahoo who brings a sub gun onto the practice pistol range. You're only supposed to shoot them on specific ranges that are deemed "safe." But a suppressed weapon? Or an sbr? No restrictions other than the usual ones based on caliber.

Unfortunately, you're right. Trying to get an idiotic law changed AFTER it has been passed is almost impossible.

The idiocy of the sbr law is that you can stick you 10-inch barreled AR under your coat more easily without a stock, and it's perfectly legal.

tk

·
Registered
28 Posts
In the Senate, every bill receives two "yea" votes for every part of the bill that makes no sense. In the House, every bill receives ten votes for every part of the bill that would make a sane person go "WTF?"

And every bill receives another four votes in either house of Congress if it has previously passed the other.

·
Registered
48 Posts
It's a revenue stream as well. We're going through the same thing here in NV, where our Governor pledged "no new taxes", and then promptly raised the vehicle registrations fees and mandated annual smog checks. In the case of my truck, it's a 2000 diesel and left the factory with zero emissions equipment, so it passes every year just fine, but what if it didn't? ... there's nothing to adjust or replace. Remember that Dirty Harry (my avatar) is from here, and during his campaign was telling stories about his lifelong love of firearms and hunting rabbits as a kid, etc.. Since the Sandy Hook tragedy he's been quiet as a fish-fart on the whole gun control topic. I can almost guarantee that he'll vote along with those wacko's from CA and NY.

·
Registered
231 Posts
DSM,

While I was in college I did not have a car and could barley afford Top-Ramen let alone Mac & Cheese. I of course was not alone in this matter. The thing is those criminals "drug dealers" etc getting $200 cash was something they could do in 10 minutes. If anything prior convictions make suppressors a gentleman's club.

Note: I do know those are not your views as you stated. Just thought it was funny rational.

·
Registered
22,395 Posts
DSM,

While I was in college I did not have a car and could barley afford Top-Ramen let alone Mac & Cheese. I of course was not alone in this matter. The thing is those criminals "drug dealers" etc getting $200 cash was something they could do in 10 minutes. If anything prior convictions make suppressors a gentleman's club.

Note: I do know those are not your views as you stated. Just thought it was funny rational.

Ya, but generally speaking....getting past the FBI background check is a little more difficult....at least until you set up a trust, LLC, etc. ;)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Ya, but generally speaking....getting past the FBI background check is a little more difficult....at least until you set up a trust, LLC, etc. ;)
Lol, was going to say what self respecting criminal would send in his fingerprints on top of all that but, after reading it in my comment I cut it out. Thought it sounded a little too snooty. Hoped the point would carry over. Hard to be sarcastic online. :eek:

Edited: Forgot about the trust. No fingerprints or photo. Thought you still had to do the background check?

<----- Look I'm not a noob anymore. Ranked up to Carbineman with my 50th post. Still feeling like a newb must wear of after a while...

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
I was so anti-SBR, that I refused to get one, no way I am paying $200 just for the premium of having a shorter gun! Then I caved, and got the tax stamp for the XCR. Now I also plan to register an AR lower :(

·
Registered
231 Posts
I was so anti-SBR, that I refused to get one, no way I am paying $200 just for the premium of having a shorter gun! Then I caved, and got the tax stamp for the XCR. Now I also plan to register an AR lower :(
Living in Washington. I would gladly pay the $200 to shorten my XCR or at least an extra barrel. To bad that's never going to happen in my state.

·
Registered
231 Posts
As much as I hate the idea having to pay or the number of other things that go along with a SBR I would still love the ability to due so too. I'm a Washington resident so that's never going to happen. All the criminals have to do is get a hack saw. Me I have to move out of state then sell my soul to the ATF..

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
I haven't bothered with SBRs to date. I've got an FS2000 and RFB that give me a short rifle with none of the SBR hassles. Hopefully a Tavor is on the way too. I figure that if the shit hits the fan I can always put another together if needed of drop a stock on the AR pistols if it really became necessary but the RFB gives me .308 out of an 18" barrel in a 26" package. The FS2000 a .223 out of a 17.4" tube.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Don't give up on Washington state. There is talk of allowing SBR's. They just did away with the suppressor ban, you could own one, but couldn't fire it. Now you can use the damn thing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts