XCR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first XCR, the one I plan to SBR:

It's got a Spike's VFG, Magpul ladder rail covers, HK diopters, CAA G27 grip, entry folder, Vortex permanently attached to a shortened (14.375") factory light profile bbl. Still planning both 6.8 and 5.56 11" bbls with a Micro T-1 in a LaRue HK mount.

Folded:

2nd XCR (folded with my attempt at machining a cheek riser):

I plan to eventually mount up a magnified optic (kinda looking at 1.1-4X or maybe a 2.5-10X IOR)....I already have a GG&G QD mount for a 30mm tube scope....so that will likely go on with the folding Troys and either the factory folder with the cheek riser I'm making or the UBR/Magpul cheek riser I originally bought for this project.

Not a very good shot below.....after sanding it some, it really took out the detail of the machine work.

I still have some things I need to do. I'm considering drilling some holes in it to lighten it up even more. The allen head gold zinc bolt that I'm using to extent the folder's button will be changed out to a black one. The two small holes are actually 10-32 for helicoils. There will be 4 total (2 on each side) and they will act as set screws. I'm also planning to cut the neoprene pad down to cover that final inch on the stock. I'm pricing out anodizing to find out if it's a viable alternative to just painting it. I've got about 6 hours in this riser at this point....but I also wasted about 1.5 hours screwing things up. So, all in all....ah hell, it's too much work to really be a good solution. ;)

The pair of rifles:

Here are a couple of older pics (in case anyone wants to see what a UBR looks like on an XCR) from when I was trying out using the Troy sights on my XCR along with a UBR stock (still waiting on my Magpul #2 half inch cheek riser):

Sean

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
Another confirmation that entry stock make the XCR look sweeter.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Very very interesting.I like it.It may have been alot of work,but the question is,does it work for you now,do you like how it changes how it feels? If so,then I would say it's worth it.I wonder if it has to be that long for a good cheek weld,I only mention it because it would cut down on weight some,if that is an issue to you.If not no big deal.I'm not sure how it would affect the symmetry of how it looks,that may have been your reason to begin with.I doubt anodizing would be worth the expense but I agree it's worth looking into.Alumihyde would be my first choice otherwise,unless you can have our friendly neighborhood Duracaot guy do a little HK black on it. ;D.It's nothing quite like engineering a solution to something yourself.Good job!!
On a final note,now that I've had a chance to see a UBR on the XCR without the folding adapter now.I understand what I've heard more about how that stock will have no adjustment after you add the length of the folding adapter.I wasn't sure before if I like that stock on the XCR now I'm pretty sure it's not for me.I like them both individually,but together it's just something about them I don't like.Nothing against your toys,just that combination ain't for me.

·
Registered
22,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very very interesting.I like it.It may have been alot of work,but the question is,does it work for you now,do you like how it changes how it feels? If so,then I would say it's worth it.I wonder if it has to be that long for a good cheek weld,I only mention it because it would cut down on weight some,if that is an issue to you.If not no big deal.I'm not sure how it would affect the symmetry of how it looks,that may have been your reason to begin with.I doubt anodizing would be worth the expense but I agree it's worth looking into.Alumihyde would be my first choice otherwise,unless you can have our friendly neighborhood Duracaot guy do a little HK black on it. ;D.It's nothing quite like engineering a solution to something yourself.Good job!!
On a final note,now that I've had a chance to see a UBR on the XCR without the folding adapter now.I understand what I've heard more about how that stock will have no adjustment after you add the length of the folding adapter.I wasn't sure before if I like that stock on the XCR now I'm pretty sure it's not for me.I like them both individually,but together it's just something about them I don't like.Nothing against your toys,just that combination ain't for me.
No offense taken....your reasoning is exactly why I decided to keep the folder and make a cheek riser....that and while I don't like the looks of the folder, it is dirt simple and rock solid....functionality at its finest....kinda stupid to change it out if I can make it work with the sights I already have (and greatly prefer to the diopters now that I have both).

I figure I can always mod the UBR and riser to fit my POF, then possibly (if the UBR works) sell the PRS on it....I really don't care for the PRS.

As for the length of the riser I made.....it could easily be 1.5" shorter from the rear of the stock (for me) and still give a good weld. I just went longer for aesthetics. It's really not all that heavy now anyway, but I may consider drilling some holes up from the bottom to lighten it that much more.

The riser I made DEFINITELY works for me. It's perfect, actually. It puts my eye at the perfect height for the sights now and will also work with the scope mount I have (since it puts the center of the scope at the same height as the irons). I just meant that 6 hours of work wouldn't make it plausible for me to make these for anyone else b/c it would cost too much and not be worth it from a cost standpoint.....and that wouldn't even include paint, material (I had it laying around) or hardware.

Thanks for all the compliments guys. I admit I've gotten addicted to this platform. It's so simple....it reminds me of what Glock would build if it made rifles.

Thanks again,
Sean

Oh, and Eric....to make a 13" LOP stock into an entry.....would be really easy. Just take the stock apart, cut off what you don't want, drill new roll pin holes in the tubes and reassemble....you can make it at least 3" shorter....if you wanted.

HTH.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
That looks pretty good Sean, Make me one in Titanium and you are the man.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Yea I've never been a big fan of the PRS either.It doesn't make sense to me on a 5.56 rifle.Maybe on an AR10 set up as perimeter or DM rifle,where you want to set it up for the operator.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
I like my PRS. I decided I wanted one after watching the last Rambo movie. Sniper stock = instant awesome. :eyesclosed:

I know, I'm a frivolous girl. ;D

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Hey nothing wrong with it,if it works for you.I just think it would be bulky and heavy for a light fighting carbine.Kind of falls in to the K.I.S.S deal.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I was thinking of putting the PRS on my 6.8 SPC AR but since I use that rifle for 3-gun matches I wanted to go more with light than comfort. I settled on the LMT SOPMOD.

MadDog :2cents:

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
That's great Sean. I like how you matched the angle on the back of the receiver.

Things like this make me wonder how many XCRs have to be on the market before accessory makers will make products for us. I know I would pay for an injection molded riser like the one Sean built. Or, if someone would make some shorter flip-up BUIS (besides HK diopter types) because we XCRheads need them.

·
Registered
22,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That looks pretty good Sean, Make me one in Titanium and you are the man.
I wonder what a 1'x1.5"x1" piece of Ti would run? I bet it wouldn't be cheap. :D

Sean

·
Registered
22,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yea I've never been a big fan of the PRS either.It doesn't make sense to me on a 5.56 rifle.Maybe on an AR10 set up as perimeter or DM rifle,where you want to set it up for the operator.
Mine's on my P-308 and it was actually a manageable weight before the PRS (though the IOR optic was pretty hefty too)....the PRS just made it that much heavier.

Sean

·
Registered
22,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's great Sean. I like how you matched the angle on the back of the receiver.

Things like this make me wonder how many XCRs have to be on the market before accessory makers will make products for us. I know I would pay for an injection molded riser like the one Sean built. Or, if someone would make some shorter flip-up BUIS (besides HK diopter types) because we XCRheads need them.
It's not just XCRs....it's also people with POF's monorail. It sits 1/2" higher than normal. I wonder if contacting Troy would net me some shorter sights.....I highly doubt it, but hey, it's worth asking.

I have the diopters on my first XCR and while I haven't shot it yet, they just seem.....not very precise....compared to the Troys. It's like the holes in the rear drum are just too darn big.

Sean

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
I doubt there will ever be enough demand that anyone will ever do any low sights.It's just much cheaper to use a cheek riser than to make low sights for a few niche market rifles.I love the XCR,but with only 4000 rifles built compared to a myriad AR's,no one else needs them,not cost effective='s no profit margin.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I like it. If that thing was powdercoated it would be awesome IMO. I would like to have something like that. I dont mind the factory stock that much, I just don't get a good rest on it. I never thought of a homemade riser something like that might be worth the time rather than the $$ factor. How exactly do you have it mounted?

And would it be too weird to see a picture with an actual cheek weld? I'm just curious how much of a difference it makes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts