XCR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to re-zero my weapon after buying a new scope mount. Fired about 300 rounds of South African + another 20 rounds of Federal Gold Medal Match 168gr HPBT. About 110 degrees today with a 20mph cross wind. This particuliar range is basically my home range and almost always has 20mph cross winds! It is about 10 miles from Lake Mead and Hoover Dam.

Here is the mount I just bought for my AR-10 SuperSASS, American Defense Recon.

Here is me with my Armalite AR-10 SuperSASS

Also had to zero the M1A (in Marstar stock), bought a SuperSniper from SWFA.

Zero Distance will be 100 yards.

Only had 20 rounds of Federal Gold Medal Match, Here is what 10 rounds with the M1A did. My first 3 shots where horrible, but I settled down for the next 7. There was 20 mph crosswind, so you got to figure the wind blew those bad rounds off target ;)

Here is what the AR-10 SuperSASS did with FGMM. I was on my way to a 1 inch 10 shot group then the last shot was a low flyer and turned my 1" group into a 2" group .. Oh well. I can't afford to shoot FGMM too much, if I was a rich guy that's all I would shoot.
I have 500 bullets of 168gr SMK's, so better yet, it's time to start making my own match load (half the price of FGMM)

After Zeroing it is time to go to the metal gongs. This range has gongs at 200, 300, 400, 500, 600.. and one that goes all the way out to 1000 yards! Once I figured out the bullet drop of TMR reticle on the Leupold, and the windage from the 20 mph cross wind, I had no problems consistently hitting the 600 yard gong (in the shape of an actual size goat)

Will be shooting from the prone position, just like the snipers do in COD4 on the Xbox. Lucky for us, this part of the range has cover, so the cement was nice and cool.

Another view of the metal gongs

Here is my duty belt. This belt has a knife, holster, complete First Aid Kit, and a utility pouch for such items such as keys and cameras. This is the same belt I wear when playing COD4 on the Xbox. When I don't have my duty belt, molle vest, and a side arm locked and loaded when playing COD4, I don't do as good.

An area near the range. If you look close enough you can see me in the pic (on the bed cover of the truck). This concludes the day at range, all in all a good day. Zero'd two weapons, and shot about 300 rounds total. Dam if you think about it, that's $150+ for today's ammo prices.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Alright. It's settled. I'm moving. That range looks nice. Concrete benches, cover, 1,000 yd gong. Great range report.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
How far away is the mall? Do all the mall ninja's come there to shoot? I bet all the real operators do.

Any chance we could get a few ninja's to hold the gongs up while we shoot them?

Damn Eric, you are the king of the mall ninja's fo sho!

That is kickass... and people will respect your authority!

·
Registered
58 Posts
How do you like that American Defense Recon mount?
I had a Aimpoint maounted in an AD mount.
Great quality for the price, almost rivals Larue.

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How far away is the mall? Do all the mall ninja's come there to shoot? I bet all the real operators do.

Any chance we could get a few ninja's to hold the gongs up while we shoot them?

Damn Eric, you are the king of the mall ninja's fo sho!

That is kickass... and people will respect your authority!

Thanks, your words are too kind. The closest mall is actually about 20 miles away. That's pretty far for me, and tough for ninja's like myself being being that far from our standard area of operation.

What's a real operator? I tought mall ninja's were real operators? I am sure the ninja's would be more than happy to hold up the gongs for you, but they are heavy though and most of us don't have the strength to hold up gongs. How about a piece of cardboard?

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How do you like that American Defense Recon mount?
I had a Aimpoint maounted in an AD mount.
Great quality for the price, almost rivals Larue.
So far I can't complain. Thing is very sturdy and solid.

It is about $50 cheaper than Larue, even if it was same price as Larue I would still fork up the dough. I do my best not to buy any products from Larue... too many cool kids using Larue and I am not cool enough ;D

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
You no buy frum Larue? What for you cwazy?

How you gonna get Dillo Dust if you no buy frum Dead Center of Texas?

How will da udder operators respect your authority ifn they see you wif a AD mount?

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Eric, you really need to stop posting pics of that SuperSASS, everytime I see it I want to go out and get one.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Sweet! Awesome pics and range report. Did you have any problems figuring out the TMP leuy? Great to hear about the 600 yard gong. Did you get a chance to go beyond that and how did it do? I've heard the SASS gets really squirley at and past 800 yds but that's only one report.
I'm glad to see you got that thing out there.

I see you have a SS on your M1. How do you like it? I have two of them and they perform great, although the glass could be better.

More, more!

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sweet! Awesome pics and range report. Did you have any problems figuring out the TMP leuy? Great to hear about the 600 yard gong. Did you get a chance to go beyond that and how did it do? I've heard the SASS gets really squirley at and past 800 yds but that's only one report.
I'm glad to see you got that thing out there.

I see you have a SS on your M1. How do you like it? I have two of them and they perform great, although the glass could be better.

More, more!

I did not use the knobs, I only used the holdover on the reticle. The TMR Leupy is basically just a mildot that uses hashes instead of dots, ~4 moa (3.6" at 100 meters) between big hashes, with smaller hashes in between for more precision.

This particuliar Leupy is really only good out to 600 meters as the precision part of the reticle only goes out that far. There was 1000 yard gong out there, and that one was tricky because I have no hash for that one on the reticle. At that distance bullet drop was about 400 inches and windage was off to the right about 300 inches (for the winds on that particuliar day). I am not that good with long distance precision yet (600-1000 yards), can't do it in one shot. Takes me 3 shots as the first shot I am usually way off, the 2nd shot I will be off by a little, and the third shot is when I will hit my target. Now it is easy for these particuliar gongs as I already know all the distance and the holdover to use to make the hits. I am going to have to find new targets to practice my ranging skills so I can do the one shot hit thing.

I like the SuperSniper but got some complaints. In the daytime, it is as good as the best of them, but under lowlight conditions, or trying to picky up shadows, it falls short and is when you start noticing the glass is really not that nice. Also a fixed 10x scope is not my bag of tea. I like the ability to lower the mag so I can get a bigger FOV. Lastly, when it gets a little dark out the reticle is hard to see. Illumination is a must for all scopes... But for $300 you really can't complain and it is well worth the price of admission.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Your Marstar SAGE doesn't look too bad there Eric. If it turns out I can't acquire the Troy MCS I will break down and buy the Marstar SAGE methinks.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts