XCR Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I start cutting on a new Hogue beavertail overmold grip...

This thing has a little triangle to extend under the trigger guard.
I'm not an AR person. It looks like it covers a little open area for the bolt on trigger guard of an AR.

The safety spring was enough of a surprise for one day.

·
Registered
23,042 Posts
Yeah, cut that off unless you have an XCR without the integrated trigger guard....and you need to reuse the mounting screw...it's a coarser thread than a regular AR.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, cut that off unless you have an XCR without the integrated trigger guard....and you need to reuse the mounting screw...it's a coarser thread than a regular AR.
Thanks for the good info.
Thankfully, Hogue did not provide a replacement bolt. I would have screwed that up.
The bolt was way too tight for a allen wrench. That's a job for a 1/4" inch ratchet, extension, one of those little hex bits, and a hex bit holder. 4mm was a better fit than 5/32".
The grip fit perfectly and covers the only spot that I found that looks like bad machine finishing above and behind the grip.

Now, if it will get warm enough to get out the sander and band saw, I need to shorten a couple rail covers to fill in that odd partial slot on the receiver end.

·
Registered
23,042 Posts
Thanks for the good info.
Thankfully, Hogue did not provide a replacement bolt. I would have screwed that up.
The bolt was way too tight for a allen wrench. That's a job for a 1/4" inch ratchet, extension, one of those little hex bits, and a hex bit holder. 4mm was a better fit than 5/32".
The grip fit perfectly and covers the only spot that I found that looks like bad machine finishing above and behind the grip.

Now, if it will get warm enough to get out the sander and band saw, I need to shorten a couple rail covers to fill in that odd partial slot on the receiver end.
Or...put a pair of pliers on the short leg of the allen to get more leverage...or slip it through a small box end wrench to lengthen it...or a small deep well socket and extension over the short leg....or a T-handle wrench.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I started out with the pliers on the L shaped Allen wrench, and it was scary tight. It was also a much smaller diameter Allen wrench than I expected. I anticipated something more in the 1/4 inch range. I've broken a few Allen wrenches like that, and it was doing a really good deja vu witht he twisting that usually precedes the snap and flying metal. I've broken 3/8 inch drive socket hex drivers on cylinder head bolts. I like it a lot better using a tool on a job that I know will survive to go back into the tool box.

I don't think a 3/8 drive socket hex driver will fit down the inside of the grip. I'm not sure if I have seen 1/4 inch socket hex drivers. The little hex bits with the holders have become a lot more common in recent years, and the weak part that might break is less than an inch long, instead of six inches long. I'm probably being over cautious.

You mentioned the thread on the bolt is not the same as the standard AR.
Related question: Is the XCR based on fractional fasteners and measurements, or metric?

·
Registered
23,042 Posts
I started out with the pliers on the L shaped Allen wrench, and it was scary tight. It was also a much smaller diameter Allen wrench than I expected. I anticipated something more in the 1/4 inch range. I've broken a few Allen wrenches like that, and it was doing a really good deja vu witht he twisting that usually precedes the snap and flying metal. I've broken 3/8 inch drive socket hex drivers on cylinder head bolts. I like it a lot better using a tool on a job that I know will survive to go back into the tool box.

I don't think a 3/8 drive socket hex driver will fit down the inside of the grip. I'm not sure if I have seen 1/4 inch socket hex drivers. The little hex bits with the holders have become a lot more common in recent years, and the weak part that might break is less than an inch long, instead of six inches long. I'm probably being over cautious.

You mentioned the thread on the bolt is not the same as the standard AR.
Related question: Is the XCR based on fractional fasteners and measurements, or metric?
Nothing wrong with that...I've snapped the heads off grade 8 1/2-13 bolts with a standard length 3/8 drive ratchet. It happens. Yeah...they make 1/4" socket hex drives....

Fractional/SAE.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts