XCR Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
I talked to Alex a month or so ago about building a custom barrel with the correct configuration and testing the XCR for him, he sounded interested in testing and making the changes if necessary. Since then another company made me an offer so testing the XCR would be a conflict of interest. I hope he does the research and continues with the 2 projects we discussed.

· Registered
23 Posts
The SSA website has the tactical (combat) loads available to order online but specify that the following are the minimum requirements to use the hotter tactical loads:

1:10 twist rate
Spec II chamber
6 groove barrel

I understand we have the Spec II chamber and, of course, the 1:10 twist rate. Do we have a 6 groove barrel or a barrel with grooves that will allow us to use the tactical loads??

I want to use SSA 110 gr (or perhaps the 85 gr) with the Barnes TSX bullet as my defense load in my XCR but am not sure if I can use the tactical loading. Any help would be appreciated.
From the yak I hear SSA has down-loaded the NEW "Tactical" load from what the OLD "Combat" load was so it would be safe in LWRCs 10 twist SPCII barrels. The old "Combat" loads were 30gr of what is thought to be AA2460.
I do not have any new Tactical loads to pull the bullets and weigh the charge but someone I know has

· Registered
23 Posts
The SSA website has the tactical (combat) loads available to order online but specify that the following are the minimum requirements to use the hotter tactical loads:

1:10 twist rate
Spec II chamber
6 groove barrel

I understand we have the Spec II chamber and, of course, the 1:10 twist rate. Do we have a 6 groove barrel or a barrel with grooves that will allow us to use the tactical loads??

I want to use SSA 110 gr (or perhaps the 85 gr) with the Barnes TSX bullet as my defense load in my XCR but am not sure if I can use the tactical loading. Any help would be appreciated.
From the yak I hear SSA has down-loaded the NEW "Tactical" load from what the OLD "Combat" load was so it would be safe in LWRCs 10 twist SPCII barrels. The old "Combat" loads were 30gr of what is thought to be AA2460.
I do not have any new Tactical loads to pull the bullets and weigh the charge but someone I know has
I have an LWRC with the SPCII and 1:10 twist.....seems to me Art should have just told LWRC customers they couldn't shoot Combat loads rather than lightening it up.

Beats me though.

Sean
I think there is a lot going on behind the scenes between Art and LWRC. I am not sure if Art is producing his own rifles and selling the rifle/ammo package overseas or if he has a deal with LWRC to produce rifles and sell the package to foreign countries.
A few months ago LWRC placed a note in the boxes telling customers not to shoot SSA combat ammo, that lasted about 2 days before all hell broke loose on 68 forums, LWRC took the notes out and Art had the thread deleted.
I believe there were still issues with pressure between LWRCs barrel and Arts ammo but they decided to sweep it under the rug and make it work for both parties.
We need everyone to use the correct barrel specs then get Winchester/Olin/Lake City to produce ammo that hits 54000 psi in those barrels with the correct spec instead of watering things down to work with mediocre products.
That would give the military the best performing package.

· Registered
23 Posts
Sean, If your barrel is accurate and you don't handload to the max, I would say just keep what you have and save your money for ammo. During the last gun scare of the 90s I could not find primers or mags, this time they want to install chips in the bullets and make us fill out a form to buy ammo like the BG checks we do for firearms now. I would stock up on hi cap mags especially if you have Glocks or HKs(foreign), reloading components or ammo.
They can't get away with taking our guns but they could hurt us through the ammo.

· Registered
23 Posts
Sean, If your barrel is accurate and you don't handload to the max, I would say just keep what you have and save your money for ammo. During the last gun scare of the 90s I could not find primers or mags, this time they want to install chips in the bullets and make us fill out a form to buy ammo like the BG checks we do for firearms now. I would stock up on hi cap mags especially if you have Glocks or HKs(foreign), reloading components or ammo.
They can't get away with taking our guns but they could hurt us through the ammo.
I'm with you there.....I'm was mainly asking to find out if I should just stock up on the non-combat loadings from SSA. Looks like with my particular rifle, that's the case.

As for the optimized and standardized 6.8 bbls.....what do you think ought to be the standard? 1:11, 1:12, 1:13, 3 or 4 groove? I've been waiting for RA to go with a 1:11 or better twist (they already use a 4 groove bbl) to make my conversion purchase. What's the best twist/groove combo for a shorter bbl.....say 11-14.5"?

Thanks again,
Sean
I believe the 11 x4 will become standard for most rifles and the high end customs will be 11 and 12 twist 4 groove. I will more than likely be the only one to ever offer 12 and 13 twist 3 grooves. I think SSA has down loaded the "Tactical load" so I would try a few boxes of that to see if you have signs of high pressure. 11 twist would be better for shorter barrels, my 13 twist is 20" and I load hot so that is why it works as well as it does.

· Registered
23 Posts
What about the combo of short barrel, suppressor and 115gr bullets? Would 1:11 do it or is 1:10 better? Mine is of course 1:10 and 11". It will have a can on it within a few months. I would buy a 1:11 or maybe a 1:12 from Alex for a 16" barrel.
Either would work fine and you already have a 10 twist, just be careful with the can after several shots the powder residue can collect in the chamber and raise pressure. Check out the 6.8 Performance report on 68forums, I believe Chris added a note in there about pressure with the can on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.