XCR Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a class this weekend that was an amalgamation of several training companies exhibiting a few hours each of their curriculum. 2 of the three were rifle blocks so I took my L with a 9.5” 300blk kit wearing a SiCo Omega gen 1.

Ammo is still stupid high, but a few weeks ago I was able to pick up 500rds of Barnaul 147gr 300blk - steel cased.

I had never fed steel through it before, not because I’m against it, but more so because steel 300blk hasn’t been a thing until recently.

Anyway, I ran about 300 rounds with zero issues. In fact, I was pretty happy with the results up to 50 yards (didn’t go farther out). Needless to say, if I see more at a good price (under $0.50/rd) I’ll definitely pick more up.

Anyone else had good experience with steel cased ammo in their L?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
264 Posts
I fed my 5.56 6k of tula before it ate the first (rubber spring) extractor.
7.62 was right under 8k of tula/vympel before the rubber spring extractor failed.
It's very dirty ammo and it's much harder on the extractor than brass. The double spring seems to allow the extractor to move a little easier so we'll see if they last longer.

·
Registered
23,036 Posts
Had a class this weekend that was an amalgamation of several training companies exhibiting a few hours each of their curriculum. 2 of the three were rifle blocks so I took my L with a 9.5” 300blk kit wearing a SiCo Omega gen 1.

Ammo is still stupid high, but a few weeks ago I was able to pick up 500rds of Barnaul 147gr 300blk - steel cased.

I had never fed steel through it before, not because I’m against it, but more so because steel 300blk hasn’t been a thing until recently.

Anyway, I ran about 300 rounds with zero issues. In fact, I was pretty happy with the results up to 50 yards (didn’t go farther out). Needless to say, if I see more at a good price (under $0.50/rd) I’ll definitely pick more up.

Anyone else had good experience with steel cased ammo in their L?

I use it almost exclusively. XCRs eat steel cased like candy. Very similar to AKs in that regard.

Reactions: TTEngineer

·
Registered
23,036 Posts
Have you seen any premature wear on the extractor, bolt, or barrel?

Nope....but I never clean mine either. The bolt, extractor get wiped down periodically and checked over....sometimes I'll run a few patches through the bore....but I've never bore scoped it.

I'd wager steel case will wear parts out quicker than brass...but I'd also guess that the bimetal bullets wear the bbl faster than anything to do with the case especially if you use your gun as a bullet hose and run it fast like I'm apt to do.

Reactions: Flskunkape

·
Registered
4 Posts
Still new to the platform so can I buy a new 5.56 extractor from Robinson and throw it in my type 1 bolt? I pretty much only shoot steel now so it's worth picking a few up if I can.

·
Registered
23,036 Posts
Still new to the platform so can I buy a new 5.56 extractor from Robinson and throw it in my type 1 bolt? I pretty much only shoot steel now so it's worth picking a few up if I can.
Yes...you should be able to....provided they are in stock. I'm pretty sure the extractor is the same on both the Type 1 & 2 bolts....but the newest spring isn't rubber but a pair of actual springs, IIRC.

·
Super Moderator
264 Posts
It should be the same extractor.
Get an extractor, inner & outer spring, and the detent. If you have an older bolt it's probably the rubber spring, IMO you should just replace it with the new 2 piece spring now instead of later. The rubber has probably already hardened from age. So grab the springs and the detent for your current extractor.

When you replace it, use a small punch and a large punch. Use the large punch to push down the detent and get it started, slide the extractor in and then use the small punch to push the detent down far enough to slide the extractor in the rest of the way. This is the easiest method I've found that prevents missing springs detents, replaced 6 springs and lost 2 detents. They really fly.

·
Registered
23,036 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts