XCR Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, new to the forum, have some questions.

I am a long time AR owner and have read many XCR v. AR threads on the web. As a result, I am ready to order my first XCR. I am ordering direct from RA - I will wait to get exactly what I want. I have some questions first.

I was thinking about ordering the VLTOR stock but the selection on the RA website does not make it clear if this selection includes the folding option. Does the VLTOR selection include the folding stock?

I was going to go with the M4 stock because that selection makes it clear it comes with the folder. The reason I want one of these stocks is for sling mounting options and familiarity (from my AR usage). Am I missing something with the standard aluminum folder? What kind of stock do users prefer?

Also, what steel does RA use in their barrels?

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Hello, new to the forum, have some questions.

I am a long time AR owner and have read many XCR v. AR threads on the web. As a result, I am ready to order my first XCR. I am ordering direct from RA - I will wait to get exactly what I want. I have some questions first.

I was thinking about ordering the VLTOR stock but the selection on the RA website does not make it clear if this selection includes the folding option. Does the VLTOR selection include the folding stock?

I was going to go with the M4 stock because that selection makes it clear it comes with the folder. The reason I want one of these stocks is for sling mounting options and familiarity (from my AR usage). Am I missing something with the standard aluminum folder? What kind of stock do users prefer?

Also, what steel does RA use in their barrels?

Thanks in advance for any help.
You have to specify that you want the folding M4 stock adaptor

I have never used the standard folder or the VLTOR stock, I am using the Magpul CTR and it works fine for me

I am not sure what type of steel is used

hope that helps

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Most people who get the folding AR version use the Magpul CTR. They have said that the CTR all the way collapsed is about the same as the standard tube stock L.O.P. This is because the adapter adds some length.

I believe Vltor makes two sizes of stock. If I were you, I would order the shorter one. My :2cents: based on info from the forum (I have the tubestock).

I'm sure someone with more experience will be along to give their opinion shortly. :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok - so if I order the just the M4 adapter/folder (no stock) - I can add a CTR and have the same LOP as the alum folder?

·
Registered
327 Posts
I ordered mine with the folding/collapsing T4 stock since I am going to be putting on either a Magpul CTR stock or a Ace SOCOM. Until then the standard M4 stock should work for me just fine.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What is the T4? I do not see that option.

Does the M4 adapter tube fit commercial or mil-spec size tubes/stocks?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just found this on the RA website:

Do they have the new thin profile stock out yet?

What Other Stocks will fit the XCR?
We manufacture two stock "adapters" for the XCR. These adapters are made for stocks based on the M4 collapsing stock used on the M4 variant of the M-16 rifle. All the M4 variant stocks slide on a buffer tube. There are commercial and military spec buffer tubes. Our M4 Collapsing Stock Adapter and our M4 Folding/Collapsing Stock Adapters will accept both the commercial and military buffer tubes. This means that most stocks intended for M4 type rifles can work with our stock adapters. You can use M4 type stocks made by VLTOR, Magpul, etc. When buying a stock, make sure the plastic portion fits the buffer tube. It's best to by both the plastic stock part and the buffer tube from the same manufacturer. Though M4 stocks will fit on the XCR, they are quite wide. We are working on a thin profile stock which both folds and collapses. It will be available early in 2009.

·
Registered
327 Posts
What is the T4? I do not see that option.

Does the M4 adapter tube fit commercial or mil-spec size tubes/stocks?
T4 is the standard M4 stock... It fits mil-spec size tubes/stocks. But you may be able to request a commercial version if you want one.

New stock is not ready to be shown yet LOL

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I noticed in the photo thread that most guns have the standard folder. Is that because it is preferred or because that is typically what is available?

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
This is purely a guess but most likely the reason you see quite a few XCR's with the standard folder is that's what Robinson mostly ships to stocking dealers,unless something special is requested.The factory folder is a good strong stock,but some people just like the length of pull adjustment of a collapsing type stock.I think the whole idea that the new stock/s embodies is that M4 stocks must use a buffer tube for mounting,which therefore limits the design possible because of the thickness of the buffer tube that is unnecessary on the XCR because it need neither buffer spring or buffer common to the AR series.
The "big deal" about having a thinner stock is a more natural head positioning behind the sights,wether irons or optics.In other words because a new stock that didn't need a buffer tube for mounting,can be thinner across the comb,allowing you to not have to lean your head into the sights as much.This would be both more comfortable to use and quicker to pick up your sight picture.
Unfortunately the new stock isn't in production yet because the designer(Alex Robinson,and engineering team) want to make sure the get it right the first time.If you want to mount an M4 type stock you either need a fixed or folding M4 adapter depending on which you prefer.If you want the factory folder,you can get that fixed or folding as well.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
I noticed in the photo thread that most guns have the standard folder. Is that because it is preferred or because that is typically what is available?
I cant speak for anyone else, but for me it boils down to length of pull. I cant get the AR15 stock as short as I want with a folding hinge. I can however get a standard folder pretty short to fit me better.

For me it is purely a matter of ergos, not fashion.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Options for stocks add to the price.

Robarms has an option for a shorter "Entry stock" that not everyone knows about. It has a 12" L.O.P instead of the standard 13".

·
Registered
354 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just an observation but RA should consider re-writing their drop-down descriptions in their order screen. It is very confusing. No wonder I haven't seen a true "M4" stock in any of the photos here.

Not only is there a typo - "Collasping" but under one category they call it:

1) "Folding/Collasping M4 Stock"

and the non-folder they call a:

2) "V-LTOR 5 Position Collapsing Stock."

If they are the same stock and the only distinction is the folding mechanism why not call them:

1) V-LTOR 5 Position Collapsing Stock

2) V-LTOR 5 Position Folding/Collapsing Stock

·
Registered
134 Posts
For one of my XCR's I'm going with a magpul CTR stock, so I'm ordering the $55 buffer tube receiver plate from RA. With that adapter, I can install and change out mil-spec stocks anytime I like. The gun came with the standard stock, which is nice, but causes me some sighting issues related to cheek weld and my bifocals. Any of you out there with vision issues knows that a firm cheek weld is a must if you have variable lenses.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts