XCR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I just wanted to share a stock that I've been invested in for some time that I felt those of us who work in defense/technology/intel/LE, etc could appreciate and see the future value in. The symbol is LBAS, it's an Oreo sized personal track/locate device available to the civilian market for about $130 a device. You can download the software to your iPhone or Google phone as well and get most of the functionality. Bottom line-you have a kid, elderly/senile parent, pet, gun case...anything that will be traveling or wandering and you want to keep an eye on, and you put this thing on it/in it. I downloaded it for my iPhone a few weeks ago as I wanted to test what I had invested in and it freakin' rocks! NY Times actually ran a brief article on it today as well at http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/29/t...pocket.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=pocketfinder&st=cse if you want to check out more. Just thought I'd share-I don't usually pass stuff like this but it's freaking cheap right now. Oh yeah-and it's been approved by GSA for government use...

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
That is pretty cool, be nice to have something like that when traveling by air with a gun or just your luggage. Throw it in a see where it ends up. I am sure that the gov will be all over something like that, if they could encrypt it and make it secure it would be a mini blue force tracker for every soldier.

·
Premium Member
6,143 Posts
There have been some variations on this for a while, although that looks like a pretty good and rugged implementation. They kind of downplay the limitations on the web site, it's basically a GPS receiver with a cell transmitter with some more infrastructure behind it to log position updates.

If the incoming GPS signal is blocked it won't know where it's at, and if it doesn't have cell service it can't update the 'home' server with it's location. It'd be interesting to see some tracks under different conditions. I wonder what the FAA says about an active transmitter on a plane though?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
There have been some variations on this for a while, although that looks like a pretty good and rugged implementation. They kind of downplay the limitations on the web site, it's basically a GPS receiver with a cell transmitter with some more infrastructure behind it to log position updates.

If the incoming GPS signal is blocked it won't know where it's at, and if it doesn't have cell service it can't update the 'home' server with it's location. It'd be interesting to see some tracks under different conditions. I wonder what the FAA says about an active transmitter on a plane though?
The FAA makes too big of a deal of transmitters on planes. I have called people from cell phones while flying helicopters, I use our Iridium SAT phone to call while flying here in Iraq (priceless to call old buddies and tell them you are calling from the skies of Iraq). There are so many signals bouncing around out there in the atmosphere, a small cell phone isn't going to mess with anything on the plane.

I do think this tech has potential. With it coming to the iphone i think you will see a boost overall.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have wondered why cell phone use is not allowed on planes.
Here is what I speculate is the reason.

Parts of the country do not have service.
The airlines do not want to put up with passengers that the calls keep getting dropped.
Most people do not understand why their phone works and would not accept the excuse/reason for dropped calls.

·
Premium Member
6,143 Posts

The FAA makes too big of a deal of transmitters on planes. I have called people from cell phones while flying helicopters, I use our Iridium SAT phone to call while flying here in Iraq (priceless to call old buddies and tell them you are calling from the skies of Iraq). There are so many signals bouncing around out there in the atmosphere, a small cell phone isn't going to mess with anything on the plane.

I do think this tech has potential. With it coming to the iphone i think you will see a boost overall.
Yeah, I'm not concerned with it actually creating a real problem, but rather the collective reaction to it.

I mean they stopped an air marshall at security and made him surrender his nail clipper. How does that logic work? Taser, ok. Pistol, ok. Ammo, ok. Whoa, whoa buddy, where you going with that nail clipper?

'Come to Johnny Jihad's nail and beard salon. Because when you're shaking your finger in the face of the infidel, you'll want to look your best.'

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
568 Posts

The airlines do not want to put up with passengers that the calls keep getting dropped.
Most people do not understand why their phone works and would not accept the excuse/reason for dropped calls.
Any one remember the "SkyPhone" hand sets in the back of the headrest in the seat in front of you?
Airlines wanted you to use their phone (at a premium) not yours.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Back when cell phones were still new technology there was concern that the speed at which planes flew vs. passengers bouncing from tower to tower would overload the system. There was actually talk of getting rid of that a few years ago as it's not really an issue anymore...but as Wristlock mentioned-why would they do that when you can simply use a skyphone for 3.99 a minute?

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I would probably kill someone if they were sitting next to me on a flight and gabbed the whole time on a phone. People talk to loud as it is on their phones, I don't need to be cooped up in a silver pipe for hours with no escape. You would see many more "problems" on flights if people were allowed to talk on phones.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts