XCR Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
23,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only just found out about Stoeger (apparently their STR-9 can pretty readibly swap Glock Gen 4 triggers...and the gun's more erognomic and costs about $199 on sale).

Anyway, I know they are made in Turkey and probably aren't great quality, but I'm a big fan of double bbl shotguns (my dad has an old stage coach 12 gauge Rossi with double hammers/double triggers that I LOVE).

I'm interested in this Stoeger Double Defense (synthetic stock instead of the black stained walnut) but no idea how reliable it is. YT reviews seem decent and the design is licensed from Benelli so the engineering should be decent.

It's only $378 (if you can find it in stock) and I love that it breaks down in half with the press of a lever.

Wondering if the 20 gauge version might be a good option for my mom for a home defense gun since my stepdad passed away recently, she's getting older and can't rack a slide that well anymore and isn't all that familiar with guns in general. Yeah, it's only 2 shots, but it's very simple to use and should be reliable (I hope).

Any input on these?

· Registered
46 Posts
Nothing says "defense" like 2 rounds. It seems to lack ejectors which means reloading this is going to be slow. I wouldn't recommend it for home defense because of the low round count.

Most Stoeger's are Turkish made and are some of the better made Turkish shotguns out there (mostly because of their connection with Benelli). However; from what I've been told, their coach and over/under shotguns are Brazilian made. But given the simplicity of this shotgun, reliability shouldn't be an issue.

· Registered
23,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nothing says "defense" like 2 rounds. It seems to lack ejectors which means reloading this is going to be slow. I wouldn't recommend it for home defense because of the low round count.

Most Stoeger's are Turkish made and are some of the better made Turkish shotguns out there (mostly because of their connection with Benelli). However; from what I've been told, their coach and over/under shotguns are Brazilian made. But given the simplicity of this shotgun, reliability shouldn't be an issue.
Agreed....not fast or much in the way of round count. That said, round count doesn't really matter in this case. My mom isn't going to be getting off a shit ton of shots.

Thanks for the input.

· Registered
3,641 Posts
Dad had the side by side version for years with a flashlight on the rail. It worked great, smoked many vermin, especially at night and worked great for checking out things that go bump in the night. The finish was a little mad max, but that made it all more enjoyable.

Reactions: Sean K.

· Registered
23,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dad had the side by side version for years with a flashlight on the rail. It worked great, smoked many vermin, especially at night and worked great for checking out things that go bump in the night. The finish was a little mad max, but that made it all more enjoyable.
Same with my Dad's side by side coach Rossi. I think a bit of the draw for me is the nostalgia.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts