XCR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kinda surprised by the weight of my new setup.
I had an 11" standard length upper with exposed gas block, So I though moving everything in would considerably cut the weight off the front a lot.
I honestly don't notice a difference in weight with the shorter setup..

·
Registered
22,085 Posts
Kinda surprised by the weight of my new setup.
I had an 11" standard length upper with exposed gas block, So I though moving everything in would considerably cut the weight off the front a lot.
I honestly don't notice a difference in weight with the shorter setup..
Nope... XCRs aren't light. If you actually weighed both setups, I'd bet you saved 1/2 pound or so....8 oz. isn't anything to sneeze at though.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope... XCRs aren't light. If you actually weighed both setups, I'd bet you saved 1/2 pound or so....8 oz. isn't anything to sneeze at though.
i was expecting that, but i thought it would feel like taking a suppressor off, y'know front weight that feels like it weighs more just cause its further from the center of gravity of the gun

·
Registered
22,085 Posts
i was expecting that, but i thought it would feel like taking a suppressor off, y'know front weight that feels like it weighs more just cause its further from the center of gravity of the gun
Yeah, but most cans are a pound....

·
Registered
474 Posts
By going to a mini you really don’t move/delete all that much weight.

The XCR is deceptively heavy.

Granted that lends towards a robust rifle that won’t break easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
I think weight is often a matter of perception. I fondled and fired both my Cetme LC and XCR-L for the first time on the same day. The Cetme LC was first. After shooting it, I was surprised by how little the XCR-L weighed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't think the current-gen XCR-L is really all that heavy for what it is. Mine came in at just under 8 lbs. (unloaded and with no accessories other than the stock BUIS) according to my digital kitchen scale, but keep in mind that it's in 6.5 Grendel with an 18.6" barrel with the big three-port muzzle brake and has the long "competition-length" handguard. Many other rifles in the whole "modern piston-driven AR alternative" category are about the same weight, if not even heavier, with shorter barrels and handguards. IIRC, the ACR, 805 Bren, APC223, MSBS, HK416 and HK433 are all around 8lbs as well with 16-16.5" barrels. Back when Brownells briefly had some XCRs up for sale (I think it was 2-3 years ago), they described the 16" barreled 5.56 XCR-L with the standard-length MLOK handguard as being 7.15lbs empty, which sounds plausible to me, and would put it around the same weight as the SCAR 16 and Bren 2 carbine. Comparing everything to 16" barreled DI AR-15s in terms of weight may be a bit deceiving; I think those are kind of atypically light and that historically, most assault rifles tended to be quite a bit heavier.

·
Registered
22,085 Posts
I don't think the current-gen XCR-L is really all that heavy for what it is. Mine came in at just under 8 lbs. (unloaded and with no accessories other than the stock BUIS) according to my digital kitchen scale, but keep in mind that it's in 6.5 Grendel with an 18.6" barrel with the big three-port muzzle brake and has the long "competition-length" handguard. Many other rifles in the whole "modern piston-driven AR alternative" category are about the same weight, if not even heavier, with shorter barrels and handguards. IIRC, the ACR, 805 Bren, APC223, MSBS, HK416 and HK433 are all around 8lbs as well with 16-16.5" barrels. Back when Brownells briefly had some XCRs up for sale (I think it was 2-3 years ago), they described the 16" barreled 5.56 XCR-L with the standard-length MLOK handguard as being 7.15lbs empty, which sounds plausible to me, and would put it around the same weight as the SCAR 16 and Bren 2 carbine. Comparing everything to 16" barreled DI AR-15s in terms of weight may be a bit deceiving; I think those are kind of atypically light and that historically, most assault rifles tended to be quite a bit heavier.
Agree with this....the standard light bbl XCR is only 1/2 lb heavier than most stnd configuration ARs. 8 oz is a lot...and even more when you look at some of the featherweight ARs out there where it's more than a pound (sometimes significantly). I think the vast majority of XCR owners agree, the extra heft is worth it for the added reliability.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts