XCR Forum banner

Targets

17K views 59 replies 22 participants last post by  wristlock 
Roy, contact Winchester Metals Inc (formerly Zuckermans Steel) - a few miles up the road from me - on Rt 11. I believe that they has armor plate, and they also (for a small fee) will cut to size for you. Not sure how much they'll charge for custom shapes, but they have excellent customer service.

http://www.winchestermetals.com/

Steel Plate: 3/16" through 4" in stock; thicker plate is available upon request.
Grades: A36, A514, A516, A572, AR235 and AR400

I'm no armor plate expert, but you should simply ask if they have any available such as:

MIL-A-46100D STEEL ARMOR PLATE
MIL-A-12560 CLASS 1 STEEL ARMOR PLATE
MIL-A-46177 STEEL ARMOR PLATE

The ABRASION RESISTANT steel (grades AR400F, AR450F, AR500F) offer reasonable durability for pistol calibers, but are not armor plate.

I use the same metal stands (that use 1x2's), and like the fact that I can setup one behind the other - at sightly different heights - for different scenarios.

I use screws to attach the cardboard IDPA targets to the strips, or I scavenge some heavy cardboard from work and make my own. I then attach Q-27 targets after punching the initial holes in the cardboard, and this is some of the cheapest (sturdiest) setups I've used. You can easily attach some of the same 1x2 strips to the metal base and make them virtually 'blow over' proof.

I like the spray adhesive idea, and will give that a try as well. Sounds like a good alternative to tape or staples.

BEWARE...

This is what Roy thought of my crappy staple gun...

Attachments

This staple gun experienced a couple FTF and after numerous tries - and the resultant frustration - this is the end result. REVENGE of the .308 Police Sniper rifle, using the OSOK principle. >:D

I will do that! We've done some serious lead slingin' on several occasions, and with his SOT status - getting one should be no problem - but I think he'll need a letter to order one.

VA_Plinker has also participated in a few of our better sessions. ;D

You should consider looking at a steel auto-popper. They are stationary - but with a 4" primary strike zone. I think you will find that your skills are greatly increased with a smaller stationary target - THEN move on to targets that are mobile.

Mike Gibson Manufacturing makes a nice armor plate auto-popper, and I fabricated my own base out of flat steel (cost me $40 to make two bases).

What is nice about these is that you don't have to walk down range to reset them, and you know immediately when you've scored a hit (or miss).

I bought three and put them up in sequence. I can put them side by side - or at different distances. When I take them to the range, everyone always says "Now why didn't I think of that?"

I also bought a .22 rimfire version, which is a thinner gauge armor plate. It is incredible fun, and they are all easily portable.

An additional bonus with an auto-popper is that you can set them up out at most any distance and use them as sniper targets. They will withstand literally thousands of multiple/repeated hits with a 5.56 round - no problem - and they sell additional (heavier armor plate) sniper targets for the bigger calibers. They have additional selections of reactive targets - all of which can be HUGE fun.

Oh, and you simply rattle can the target faces before you go shoot to whatever distinguishing color you want.

Check 'em out...

http://www.mgmtargets.com/index.php

A couple forums have posts from guys that use balloons and remote control toys from Wal-Mart. Not exactly free - but cheap. You just need someone to control it while you shoot at the balloons.

The Gibson auto-poppers are under $100 and while that might seem pricey at first - consider the fact that you can shoot them indefinitely and that all components are replaceable.

Let us know what you work out. We'll be interested to know what setup you use and what works best.

Cratered a 1/2" AR500 plate with a slug?? Holy cow!

Speaking of spatter - even the auto poppers kick some debris back at you with closer ranges (~15 yards).

On our last outing (with Aussie and va_plinker) - I got hit twice in the gut while shooting my P229 .357SIG

Didn't break the skin, but stung like hell. Safety glasses are a MUST too!

I didn't experience this with any other caliber.

Has anyone ever shot a hanging gong target? Know anyone who sells them?

The setup I saw a guy using one time was sweet... a simple tripod with a hanging rectangular piece of 1/2" armor plate suspended in the middle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.