XCR Forum banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts
Roy, contact Winchester Metals Inc (formerly Zuckermans Steel) - a few miles up the road from me - on Rt 11. I believe that they has armor plate, and they also (for a small fee) will cut to size for you. Not sure how much they'll charge for custom shapes, but they have excellent customer service.

http://www.winchestermetals.com/

Steel Plate: 3/16" through 4" in stock; thicker plate is available upon request.
Grades: A36, A514, A516, A572, AR235 and AR400

I'm no armor plate expert, but you should simply ask if they have any available such as:

MIL-A-46100D STEEL ARMOR PLATE
MIL-A-12560 CLASS 1 STEEL ARMOR PLATE
MIL-A-46177 STEEL ARMOR PLATE

The ABRASION RESISTANT steel (grades AR400F, AR450F, AR500F) offer reasonable durability for pistol calibers, but are not armor plate.

I use the same metal stands (that use 1x2's), and like the fact that I can setup one behind the other - at sightly different heights - for different scenarios.

I use screws to attach the cardboard IDPA targets to the strips, or I scavenge some heavy cardboard from work and make my own. I then attach Q-27 targets after punching the initial holes in the cardboard, and this is some of the cheapest (sturdiest) setups I've used. You can easily attach some of the same 1x2 strips to the metal base and make them virtually 'blow over' proof.

I like the spray adhesive idea, and will give that a try as well. Sounds like a good alternative to tape or staples.

BEWARE...

This is what Roy thought of my crappy staple gun...

Attachments

That looks like the staple gun I keep in my range bag. I staple the cardboard to the 1x2's for IDPA practice and also staple other targets using the cardboard as a backup when sighting in or just messing around.

This staple gun experienced a couple FTF and after numerous tries - and the resultant frustration - this is the end result. REVENGE of the .308 Police Sniper rifle, using the OSOK principle. >:D

has anyone seen distance adjusted targets for dry fire?

I'd love a target sheet I could set up at like 5 or 10 yards that would simulate a silhouette at 1,2,300 yards etc...

one of these would certainly be more useful than our 'favorite spot on the wall' or the tv for dryfire practice ;D

The Appleseed folks use a 25 meter target that has reduced 100, 200, 300, and 400 yard targets. If you get the 'hits count' target, it adds to that a 250 yard headshot.

Seems to me, if you were to slap one of those on a color copier, and reduce to 40%, that'd take it from 25 meters to 10.

Drop me the town you're closest to - I'll send you the next Appleseed near you.

They'll give you some targets to take home (GRIN) - and a lot more.

MB, the fun comes in with those targets on rapidfire.

Start standing, with a loaded 20 rounder. At the 'go', put 10 in the big target. Immediately drop to kneeling / sitting, and put 5 each in the 2 next smaller targets. Then change mags and get into a good, solid prone position (FAST!) and hit the next row down 3-3-4 and the bottom row 2-2-3-3 (10 each row).

That's 40 rounds. One should be able to score expert before the 2 minute time limit is up.

I goofed up and drove too fast this last time - missed expert by a few points. The trick is the cadence..... not too fast, not too slow ;D

I used a staple gun to attach my paper targets about 3 times before I thought “this is BS!”.

My targets are more like 2x4 stands using OSB as the back-plate to attach my paper targets to.

The easiest solution I’ve found is to run 4 screws through the back of the ‘OSB back-plate’. Now when you want to shoot … just push your paper targets onto the screws. The screws hold you paper target onto the back-plate. Target-attach made EASY ! ! ! Now I never need to mess with staples or carry around a staple gun.

Anyone need a picture? :)

I made the PVC stand that is mentioned on the previous page, I used it on my previous range trip and it worked great there was about a 5 mile an hour wind that day I did not even need to anchor it. The only change I made is instead of the 1 inch pipe I went with a 2 inch PVC pipe because it was easier to get the wood in that size, the only other change I might make is use a longer piece of PVC on the back so that it can use bigger pieces of cardboard and then I can put more targets up. I would say that it is by far worth the $ 35 dollars I had spend for the pieces

21 - 40 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.