XCR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife is looking into getting a taser for school. In South Carolina its illegal to carry on a school campus so a concealed weapons permit is out of the question. She isn't going to carry illegally, but she would like to have something in her purse to carry around.

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations for a good taser? Pepper spray or something like that wouldn't be out of the question if we knew it was effective and safe, but she is leaning toward a taser.

Any advice or recommendations would be great!

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,849 Posts
When you say 'Taser' do you mean that she wants the one that uses the 2 needles and wires that are discharged from a replacement module like the cops carry. Or do you mean a stun gun? In some cities the 'Taser' requires a CCW permit.
Look up the 'Cheetah', it has 2.5 Million volts and a light, also as a part of the unit is a lanyard that when pulled out makes the unit non-functional, so if it is taken away from the user it cannot be used against her.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm new to the forums (my first post/reply) but from experience of using and testing the Taser X26 on duty...they work. The "police" model has a 5 second NMI whereas the civilian model has a 30 second NMI ride. I believe the 30 second ride is designed so the user "deploys" it and runs leaving everything behind. They are allowed in 43 states concealed or open carry without permits. Prohibited in DC, HI, MA, MI, NJ, NY, RI, WI,........CT and IL are legal with restrictions. Watch the youtube videos, research, and ask around and see which option is best for you.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I'm new to the forums (my first post/reply) but from experience of using and testing the Taser X26 on duty...they work. The "police" model has a 5 second NMI whereas the civilian model has a 30 second NMI ride. I believe the 30 second ride is designed so the user "deploys" it and runs leaving everything behind. They are allowed in 43 states concealed or open carry without permits. Prohibited in DC, HI, MA, MI, NJ, NY, RI, WI,........CT and IL are legal with restrictions. Watch the youtube videos, research, and ask around and see which option is best for you.
Thats good information to know thanks for it JRO757.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Not sure if it helps but my PD used the Taser X26 also

·
Premium Member
6,143 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I think I was married to her sister...

Same girl who got pissed off if I drove her car fast - because it "put more miles on it"... :duh:

She is now someone elses problem. ;D

·
Registered
327 Posts
I think I was married to her sister...

Same girl who got pissed off if I drove her car fast - because it "put more miles on it"... :duh:

She is now someone elses problem. ;D
WOW!!!

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Wow! Just wanted to say that this is the best first post I have ever read on any forum. No joke. Informative and on topic. Keep up the good work. Oh, and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
568 Posts
I have "tasted the pepper" (spray) and taken the "ride" (5 second). It SUCKS !!!!!!!!!!

Think in terms of layers and options. Consider getting both Pepper Spray and Taser systems. They overlap and compliment each other.

Welcome Abaord

·
Registered
923 Posts
Wow! Just wanted to say that this is the best first post I have ever read on any forum. No joke. Informative and on topic. Keep up the good work. Oh, and welcome to the forum!
I agree

Welcome to the Family JRO757

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
If you're talking stun guns, don't bother. They're a garbage defensive tool for a woman and pretty much anybody for that matter.

If you're talking about the taser brand, the c2 or m18 both work well. The disadvantages are that they're expensive, the replacement cartridges are expensive, they have limited range, and you can't miss/incapacitate more than one person.

A quality pepper spray like Fox Labs 5.3 is both more economical and more useful for a wider variety of potential defensive situations imho. Grab a 2oz can for pocket carry and a 4oz cans for purse/car duty.

A pistol and some training/practice is preferred to both routes.

My honest advice would be to spend the taser money on a pistol, carry it and stfu about it. Get some fox labs to carry in addition to it as a non-lethal option. If your concern for the law trumps that of your safety, just carry the pepper spray.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Don't waste the money on the stun guns. Though some of the higher end ones work, it lets the bad guy get just a little too close for my tastes. I don't advocate breaking the law but I don't want to be dead either. If safety is a big concern either carry a pistol and make sure it is deep concealed or change schools.

Some of the pepper sprays are extremely effective and were already mentioned. I don't have any experience with tasers but I think you already got some real good info on them from others as well.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Not to get off on a rant (he says before he goes off on a rant), but what is it with the folks running our schools?

People just weren't this stupid when I was young (OK, so it was the 60s, but still). The idiotic policies boggle the mind.

Teachers are supposed to be absolutely trustworthy to begin with. If they're not, they shouldn't be around our kids in the first place.

It never seems to occur to these geniuses that every time some nut starts shooting in a school, it becomes a massacre because there's no one there to shoot back

I know, I know: preaching to the choir....

tk

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Folks,

Thanks for the good advice so far. The wife is looking for the taser that shoots out the little barbs, or possibly some pepper spray as well. We had a person in the gun store trying to give us advice on pepper spray, but we didn't know how good the advice actually was.

What I want to hear is no BS advice, and why I posted here :). I personally don't think the contact stun guns would be worth it either. If the person gets close enough to you, you have already messed up IMO.

She has been looking at the C2 but you are right it is expensive. I'll have her look at the x26 as well. She is considering getting a concealed permit, but legally speaking it doesn't do any good on a school, and if I'm not mistaken its a felony, so we won't break the law on that one. She isn't taking any night classes so I dont feel overly concerned, but I would feel better if she had something. I'm thinking pepper spray might be good, you can carry it really concealed in a pocket and it can buy you time.

Any more advice keep it coming! Very good thread!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I agree not to get the contact stunguns those are more of a pain compliance. Where as the X26 and C2 are neuro muscular incapacitators aka NMI. When I was hit I simply locked completely up with full muscle stimulation and fell. It felt like I had just ran a marathon and swam a mile. Nothing is 100% reliable though. I've only heard of one person able to keep walking and that was our Range Master (in which he walked in slowmotion). Stun guns attack the sensory nerves which is the "pain compliance". The better tasers attack the sensory and motor nerves. Now the downside to X26 but I'm not sure about the C2 is it has probes. Both must hit to work but the geniuses who designed it allows you to do a "followup drive stun". The drive stun is when 1 probe hits and you contact the assailant with the tip of the taser. It has 2 prods on it like a stun gun that completes the circuit. That leads to your wife having to be too close which I wouldn't want for my wife. The probes need a minimum 4" minimum spread to work the NMI....the beauty is the larger the spread the more effectively it works. Another advantage of the taser over stunguns is tht the pulse can still penetrate through clothing if the probes don't penetrate the skin. Their archnemesis where I work is the balloon of puffy jackets..atleast thats what I call them.
Pepper spray in itself I wouldn't reccommend. Look for something with OC which is Oleoresin Capsicum it should be a Orange Color. What we use is Sabre Red. I despise that stuff. I'd rather get tased than sprayed. Once again nothing is 100% reliable or perfect for the situation. When I was sprayed it took several minutes for it to make it hard for me to see but when it hit I hated it. It took me a full hour for me to regain full vision and the burning sensaton to go away. Also the sprayer has a tendency to get secondary contamination. Be aware of the surroundings and wind direction which is sadly the last thing someone thinks about when they are attacked. I personally don't like to use it because for it to take the full effect its too late for me.
I'm more pro gun but like you said it's not allowed. The sad thing is these gun laws restrict most law abiding citizens from protecting themselves. The criminals don't care they will carry anyway and anywhere leaving the innocent unarmed. My advice to your wife is to always be aware of her surroundings and to always have an exit available. Watching peoples eyes or body posture are the first signs. Have her keys ready for her car if she has night school. Simple things like backing into a parking spot saves precious seconds. Criminals look for an easy target.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
My honest advice would be to spend the taser money on a pistol, carry it and stfu about it.
And that's exactly what I did when I was in that position.

It requires a bit more "adult" thought..... can't just have it in a purse / briefcase (or whatever she carries) and leave it unattended EVER.

FWIW, stun guns are NOT useless.

When I was going through my first survival course, there was a gal in there - medic I believe. She carried one daily, like we carry firearms. Anyway, they'd drop us for a week in the middle of nowhere. We could have anything that was normally on us - like a pocket knife for instance. She carried the stun gun.

From what she said, it was useful in starting fires - therefore they're not useless ;D

As for the rest of us, we "became smokers" and carried lighters with us for the rest of the course. Yeah, "sometimes" we'd be out of smokes, but we'd never be without a lighter! HA!

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
JRO757 - 2 for 2! Very informative. Glad you addressed the question within the parameters described.

As for efficacy - In many cases even the slightest resistance will repel an attack. Most criminals are opportunistic and are looking for easy prey. Sometimes just the confidence exuded when in possession of pepper spray/taser/pistol is enough to deter the attack before it happens. Even the slightest resistance (loud, assertive "NO!", pepper spray, etc.) can be enough to make a criminal slink off and look for easier pickings.

I guess what I'm saying is this: The goal of your wife is not to incapacitate and apprehend the criminal. Lots of dudes like to imagine themselves detaining/incapacitating/etc. their attacker and standing over them like a trophy when the police arrive. However, the most important thing is to simply stop the attack.

That being said, something like the Kimber Guardian Angel pepper spray that has velocity and concussion will probably give most attackers a (long) pause even if they decide to continue the attack. I am assuming that your wife also has the ability to run (i.e. doesn't wear clothes/shoes that are completely impractical and is in reasonable shape). She should be able to competently use whatever defensive device she chooses and immediately and expeditiously exit the scene to a safer area.

It is my opinion (not everyone's) that the tool is less important than the person operating it. Whatever she chooses, her success will probably not be determined by the defensive weapon, but by her decision to act and then her actions. Whatever route (pepper, taser, pistol, nunchucks) that you decide, I recommend that you also include a copy of Cooper's Principle of Personal Defense (http://www.amazon.com/Principles-Personal-Defense-Jeff-Cooper/dp/0873644972).

1 - 20 of 37 Posts