XCR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone, I would like you to meet #666. Our testing rifle and my precious. She is past 300,000 rounds... we finally stopped counting. I gave her a good cleaning today. She was dirty :inlove:

It has been 6 months since her last cleaning, and just this last week I put 364 rounds through her testing kits... In the last 3 months, an estimated 8,000 rounds have gone through her. Gotta love that R&D!

Dirty girl:

If you're wondering where the recoil buffer is... here you go

I erm... ah... killed it with all the kits I shot on her. The barrels and new bolts needed setting 4... where 666 needed setting 1... slight disagreement, resulting in the tragic death of the recoil buffer.

before I wiped it..

And after a quick swab..

Even the stock had a thick layer of grime

Upper was rather dirty, too

Nothing an little cleaner can't fix...

Prior to scrubbing, the op rod was pitch black...after cleaning we found it was silver ;D

All better until six months from now ;D

wish I had better pictures... they really don't do justice to the caked on wonderfulness of brass shavings, carbon buildup, and dirt. >:D

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
nasty!

...but, any malfunctions?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Just the thing to show the fanboi's on ARFCOM..... ;D

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Anything broken in that much should run like a sewing machine! Those were some neat pics!

One of my shooting buddies got orders overseas so we're planning on going out and burning his reloaded stockpile this weekend. maybe a couple thousand rounds but it's supposed to be freezing cold this weekend so that might end up being shooting a few mags and then going home and drinking a beer! :ahoy:

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
You have to love a woman who knows her way around an assault rifle! Too cool! Too cool!

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
semi auto. We have a full auto model as well. Alex lets us play with it alllll the time. :boogie:

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Terra, what in the heck possessed you to pick 666?? Yikes!

Everyone, I would like you to meet #666. Our testing rifle and my precious. She is past 300,000 rounds... we finally stopped counting. I gave her a good cleaning today. She was dirty :inlove:

It has been 6 months since her last cleaning, and just this last week I put 364 rounds through her testing kits... In the last 3 months, an estimated 8,000 rounds have gone through her. Gotta love that R&D!

Dirty girl:

I erm... ah... killed it with all the kits I shot on her. The barrels and new bolts needed setting 4... where 666 needed setting 1... slight disagreement, resulting in the tragic death of the recoil buffer.

before I wiped it..

And after a quick swab..

Prior to scrubbing, the op rod was pitch black...after cleaning we found it was silver ;D

wish I had better pictures... they really don't do justice to the caked on wonderfulness of brass shavings, carbon buildup, and dirt. >:D

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hello Terra,

With this high round count rifle, has anyone determined service intervals on individual parts?

When you compare it to a new rifle, what areas has shown wear?

Tom

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The only things that have been changed on 666 are the gas block - after the upgrade was made, we decided to keep her current - the bolt, for the same reason as the gas block - and a couple recoil buffers. We do a lot of testing on new parts, etc and the higher gas settings needed for that are too high for the rifle itself. You have no idea what smooth is until you pull that charging handle back...

the ejector is probably the most worn part. One corner has been rounded - but it still functions perfectly. I can't see a need to replace it for some time.

I'm telling you, guys... these babies are built to last, and they do when they're built error-free. Anything that does go wrong is our fault, definitely not the platform's.

The op rod is shiny from use, and the bolt and carrier have the finish worn off on all the corners. Same as anybody's rifle.

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
300,000 rounds? ???

·
Registered
449 Posts
Sinker

ARFCOM (www.ar15.com) is the Holy Electric Church of the Received Wisdom of the AR15 and the Gospel of Direct Impingment.............. >:D

There are, as in all religions, a small(ish) subset of fundamentalists for whom any disagreement as to the inherent perfection of the AR, means the other is a heretic, probably gay, undeniably stupid and requires flaming to death.

The XCR as with all tools made by man is not perfect but it doesn't have the baggage of 40+ years of tweaks, alterations and amendments to make the AR the actually rather good platform it is today.

For that type of ARFCOM'er however the XCR, along with other non AR platforms is therefore beyond the pale, inherently flawed and susceptible to Ka-Booms and probably causes mutation in the unborn.

Think Glock v The world....... ;D

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Hello Terra, I believe that you took Mike out for his birthday and have RobArms & People on "ignore" and that is as is should be!!!

I wanted to tell you how we cleaned dirty weapons in SEA (VN,etc.). We took them into the shower with us. Beat the heck out of all of that scrubbing, brushing etc. It was against the rules, of course, but what the heck were they going to do to us, shoot us? llol!! Some say "RUST" Yikes! This too is BS. When you strip down the entire weapon and wipe down, lube, etc. it's a breeze, the ONLY problem we had that sometimes we had to go two weeks with out a shower.......llol!
C

Dirty girl:

before I wiped it..

And after a quick swab..

·
Registered
56 Posts
About 164 rounds a day average. Based on 5 years and every day use. That's OK I guess. ;D I think Robinson needs some help to really push 666 to the limit. :rapidfire: I'll be near the phone Terra. I'm not doing anything right now. Just waiting on my XCR. :crossedfingers: Need help with R&D let give me a call. :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts