XCR Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As we know, one of the selling points of the XCR is its improved ergonomics in the form of the side charging handle and trigger guard bolt release. When comparing these features to those on the AR15, which is a very ergonomic rifle in its own right, some are skeptical of the improvements the XCR's features offer.

I have wanted to illustrate the differences and quantify the improvements of the XCR for awhile, and I figured some tests could get the point across. I think that timed reactions to some common ammo and magazine related malfunctions will convey the improvements pretty well.

The test could be set up as such:

Magazine loaded with 1 live round, 1 snap cap, then 1 live round. Fire 1st, when 2nd round fails to fire perform immediate action, then fire last round. Do test at 25 yards and compare times with XCR vs AR15.

Setup double feed, diagnose malfunction, perform administrative action, fire round on target and compare time of XCR and AR15.

These are just some of the possible test scenarios, feel free to suggest other ones or compare the XCR to other rifles besides the AR.

I think that the efficiency of motion advantage of the xcr and the ability to maintain sight picture while manipulating the action should give the rifle the edge in timed tests. So if you have both xcr and ar, try to test them! I'm trying to get a range day set up with my buddy and his AR to see if this stuff makes sense.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Using a picture from RustedAce, I made a simple diagram to illustrate what I mean by efficiency of movement.

With similar XCR and AR configurations, look at the path of the left hand during a 'tap-rack-bang' drill.

There is less movement required and you don't have to disrupt your cheekweld.

·
Registered
48 Posts
As we know, one of the selling points of the XCR is its improved ergonomics in the form of the side charging handle and trigger guard bolt release. When comparing these features to those on the AR15, which is a very ergonomic rifle in its own right, some are skeptical of the improvements the XCR's features offer.

I have wanted to illustrate the differences and quantify the improvements of the XCR for awhile, and I figured some tests could get the point across. I think that timed reactions to some common ammo and magazine related malfunctions will convey the improvements pretty well.

The test could be set up as such:

Magazine loaded with 1 live round, 1 snap cap, then 1 live round. Fire 1st, when 2nd round fails to fire perform immediate action, then fire last round. Do test at 25 yards and compare times with XCR vs AR15.

Setup double feed, diagnose malfunction, perform administrative action, fire round on target and compare time of XCR and AR15.

These are just some of the possible test scenarios, feel free to suggest other ones or compare the XCR to other rifles besides the AR.

I think that the efficiency of motion advantage of the xcr and the ability to maintain sight picture while manipulating the action should give the rifle the edge in timed tests. So if you have both xcr and ar, try to test them! I'm trying to get a range day set up with my buddy and his AR to see if this stuff makes sense.
Interesting.

How large is your sample size going to be, just you and your shooting buddy?

Doing the 'knife edge' as opposed to 'the claw', you will find that a PRI Military Big Latch a BIG help. At least is does for me. Then again, I am no longer cool. Just another 'pod person' who spends far too much time sitting on my ass. :'(

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting.

How large is your sample size going to be, just you and your shooting buddy?

Doing the 'knife edge' as opposed to 'the claw', you will find that a PRI Military Big Latch a BIG help. At least is does for me. Then again, I am no longer cool. Just another 'pod person' who spends far too much time sitting on my ass. :'(

sample size is as many people on the forum wanna try ;D

it's pretty tough to have strict scientific standards on something like this, but at least you can determine what you perform best with individually...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts