XCR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I was at Green Tops Guns in Richmond Virginia the other day and I was standing at the counter looking at the Semi-auto rifles at the lower rack behind the counter and something stood out and caught my eye. I thought to myself that it cannot be. What are the odds? Besides, I thought to my self, it has a used tag on it. So I stand there in line waiting to be helped. A young 20 something comes up to me at the counter and asks me if I have been helped. I said no and asked him if that is an XCR over there.

He looked a bit perplexed and replied "What is a... uh... XCR?" The only answer I could come up with was "the best semi-auto ever made."

So after guiding him to the correct one: "no not that one the one on the right. No, no, the second form the right. The other right." So he picks it and states that he was not aware that they even had it. One of the other sales guys says that they just got it in on a trade a few hours ago.;D

I think to myself "SCOOORRRE." :ninja:

Now keep in mind that this guy has never even heard of the XCR, let alone ever seen or handled one. What I am about to tell you is a testament to the familiarity of the XCR to the AR. Having never touched an XCR, he found no difficulty in locking the bolt open. In fact, he appeared to be impressed by the XCR. 8)

Having my black Signature Visa in my wallet, I was prepared to jump on it. That was of course until I looked at the "USED" tag with a price tag of $1999.00. :eek:

Of course I jest and ask him if they are crazy selling an plain Jane USED XCR w/BUIS but without the original Magazine, Manual, or the plastic storage case. The smart ass sales guy says to me, "hey it's the best semi-auto ever made." I said "yep and I can get a brand new one for a lot less direct from Robinson Arms. He just shrugged. I said knock off $500 and through in a nylon storage case and I'll take it. He asked his "manager" who obviously said "no way." :mad:

Do you guys & gals feel that was too high of a price to pay for a used XCR or what?

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Just like the majority of folks out there screwing each other over for a profit. Just like the saying, "The only people to profit from war are the morticians." And that's why I call them that.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I think you are dead on with asking what you asked.

I went Nuckols Gun Works down in Staunton VA a store that at the time I was buying mine was listed on the Robinson Arms Website as being a dealer, they had no idea what the XCR was when I asked them about it.

By the way what part of VA are you from ? I know there are quite a few of XCR owners in VA, Atleast 2 of us in the Shenandoah Valley and atleast 2 more in Northern VA.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm in the Hampton Roads area of VA. I am planning on taking a weekend vacation to the mountains near Shenandoah next winter. Hopefully when there is going to be snow so my kids can play in it and go sledding.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I used to go down there to Williamsburg every summer when I was younger we would have a family vacation there.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Its the proverbial supply and demand syndrome...

However - maybe you can send someone back periodically to do some recon and see if the price drops down to a more reasonable level.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I actually live in Williamsburg, VA. We love it. It is such a great little town. Anyway, I'm not worried about the price. I am going to order a brand spankin' new one from RA all tricked out for less than their price. I should have known better anyway. Green Tops is and always has been overpriced. Their only in business because they have no real competition yet.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I actually live in Williamsburg, VA. We love it. It is such a great little town. Anyway, I'm not worried about the price. I am going to order a brand spankin' new one from RA all tricked out for less than their price. I should have known better anyway. Green Tops is and always has been overpriced. Their only in business because they have no real competition yet.
I would not call Williamsburg a small town,the city I live in probably would fit in Williamsburg 2 or 3 times

·
Registered
153 Posts
Last month I found a slightly used 5.56 XCR at a local gun show priced at $2500. It did come with a set of Midwest sights, case and rail covers, but I was still shocked at the price. When I asked the guy selling it how he could justify that ridiculous amount, he explained to me that it was a very rare rifle and looming ban had made nearly impossible to get one from the factory. He said the wait for a new rifle was at least 6 month and RA was severely increasing all of their prices in 2009. I just laughed and told him he was full of s**t. However I did notice he sold that XCR later that day. It just goes to show that some people are more than happy to get ripped off. :mad:

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
Saw new ones here at the gun show starting at $2,000 w/o BUIS. I give them credit though they had at least 7-8 in 5.56, 7.62 and 6.8.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Man, there is a sucker born every minute.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I ran into a similar situation recently at a local gun shop.

I was poking around a local indoor range/shop, mainly to check out a S&W 945 they've had for about 6 months (keep hoping they'll drop the price). In the back room where they keep long guns I notice a rifle I haven't seen in some time: an M96. Thing is like new. Looks unfired.

So. I can't quite see the price tag, so I attract the owner's attention and ask. "$1900". I'm good at keeping a straight face when confronted by this sort of thing. I just say, "Not something you see every day." The owner shrugs and says, "It's on consignement." OK. All I can say is the actual owner is awfully fond of it. Couple of hundred less and I'd have walked out with it, but noooooooooo...I'll check back later this week and see if it (and the 945) is still there. Hope does spring eternal.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I was on the lookout for a M96 for the longest time. I remember seeing one at a gunshow in 2002 for around $1200, mint and unfired. At the time I was redoing the suspension on my car and I could use the money for a complete coilover race suspension or the M96. Stupid me, I got the suspension.

·
Registered
56 Posts
So I need to ask. Would it be worth the x-tra 200-300 dollars to you to have a new xcr the next day if Robinson had a pay meets demand policy? Example, 1750 you get the rifle the way you want it in 8-10 weeks, or 2000 and you pick it up the way it is tomarrow. Are you looking at a used XCR that is like the one you ordered? Is it broke in right? are you willing to buy it for 2000 right now and cancel your factory order you placed last week? Come on its only the cost difference of 1 case of cheap Wolf ammo, or a decent electro site. ***It's a decision only you can make*** There really is no right or wrong. What if we contracted with Robinson to build every rifle? In that contract it said 6 week delivery time. For every day he beats the delivery you pay 10 dollars more. for Every day he is behind on delivery we pay 10 dollars less. Would you sign the contract?

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
First of all Green Top is higher than hell.XCRFan when you come up to the Shenandoah Valley you should give me and Tac a shout and maybe we can go blow up something.
Ok,this deal about the price.I've said this before and I'll say it again,if you want to get ass raped,be my guest,but it's your own fault if you do.I've come to the conclusion that some people have more money than sense.One thing some people don't have in this age of fast food mentality is PATIENCE.I mean who am I to judge you if your willing to pay 500 dollars over retail for a USED gun? In my opinion though,as my grandpap used to say"that's dumber than a bag of hammers"'
Now I get a certain amount of paranoia over a certain new Chief Executive we have been forced to deal with.What I don't get is why people wait until the last minute to jump on the bandwagon.Anyone who lived through the Clinton nightmare would have never stopped buying what they could after the sunset of AWB1.Don't misunderstand,some people just had not decided to pull the trigger yet(pun intended),but to those who were just putting it off....well nevermind I'll be nice.$200-$300 might be pocket change to some people,but mine don't grow on trees and If you have a spare case of ammo lying around you want to throw away,send it my direction,I'll take real good care of it for you..... ;D ;D

·
Registered
652 Posts
Let's assume you didn't really have any idea and you went into a gun store looking for a "black rifle".

the XCR has the monolithic rail system and gas piston so $2000 seems totally reasonable when compared side by side to the competition.

I have a really really nice one I will sell for $4000 ;)

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I need to ask. Would it be worth the x-tra 200-300 dollars to you to have a new xcr the next day if Robinson had a pay meets demand policy? Example, 1750 you get the rifle the way you want it in 8-10 weeks, or 2000 and you pick it up the way it is tomarrow. Are you looking at a used XCR that is like the one you ordered? Is it broke in right? are you willing to buy it for 2000 right now and cancel your factory order you placed last week? Come on its only the cost difference of 1 case of cheap Wolf ammo, or a decent electro site. ***It's a decision only you can make*** There really is no right or wrong. What if we contracted with Robinson to build every rifle? In that contract it said 6 week delivery time. For every day he beats the delivery you pay 10 dollars more. for Every day he is behind on delivery we pay 10 dollars less. Would you sign the contract?
You say "we". I assume you at least work for Green Top?

Actually the rifle is not the way i want it. Also, I have no way to know untill I buy it if the rifle was broken in correctly. Wolf Ammo? Your right, the difference is the cost of a case of wolf ammo. I would rather buy a case of Wolf ammo and order my XCR from RA brand new, in which case I know exactly how the rifle was taken care of.

6 - 8 weeks is not llong at all. Most of us on this forum have been waiting that long or more just for Pmags, or in some cases even ammo, etc.

I make a very, very good living and there is very little that I cannot afford, however; with that said, I am not foolish with my money. If you feel that $200 - $300 is not a lot of money, I encourage you to send it to me so that I may put it towards the cost of the rifle. I bet that Green Top Guns feels that $200 - $300 off the price of the rifle is too much!

So if they are not willing to come down in the price why should I be willing to not excercise patience and good judgement? Instead I will excecise patience and good judgement and place an order with RA for the rifle with the updates to the design, etc. I have BUIS already, so my rifle will not cost but $1500. So actually it is not just amatter of $200 - $300, but rather $500.

My offer still stands, however. Feel free to send me the $200 - $300 if you honestly feel that it is not much money. PM me and I'll give you my address. ::)

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Doug's Shoot and Sports here in Utah usually has a decent stock of XCR's for $1600. I cant see paying a dime more, especially for a used gun. What a rip off.

On a side note, the XCR is still the best value in town. It's cheaper than LWRC, which at the end of the day is just a glorified AR15. It's sure as hell cheaper than the SCAR too.

Feature for feature, the XCR is unmatched at its price point.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I am not going to into defensive mode like some others. I agree totally that 200-300 may be alot to some and not alot to others. My point was totally missed by some one getting offended. If you want the gun now and that gun will do buy it, shoot it, then shut up. no body but you knows how much you paid and they never will. If they ask, tell them more than I wanted but it was what I wanted. Time is a pointless argument. What is a long time. ask a man with one day left to live or a man who will die behind bars. They'll have different ideas. :duh:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts