XCR Forum banner

"The Bill Springfield Trigger Job"

28K views 144 replies 31 participants last post by  heretic 
Re: "The Bill Springfield Trigger Job"

IIRC, Brownells sells them. If you need the part number, let me know.

Well that's different!

And here all this time, I thought you were talking about this from Brownells:

Mfr: J&L RESEARCH

Helps Make A Crisp, Easy-Breaking Factory Trigger
Trigger adjuster replaces the factory grip screw to reduce trigger creep, lessen pull weight, and improve hammer break for better accuracy. Use alone or as part of a complete trigger job.
SPECS: Stainless steel. Gunsmith fitting recommended.
Catalog page 58

Just a quick note......

The trigger on my most recent XCR addition was pretty gritty. Moreso than prior versions in my opinion. It probably would have smoothed out over time, but the grittiness was bothersome. What to do?

I took the advice of others here and sent it off to Bill, that's what.

Instead of having some AR parts substituted, or a spring job, or even the set-screw put in on the factory parts, I opted for the least option of all. Just stoning the engagement surfaces and angles - that's it.

After all, my first XCR was just fine the way it came, so I figured that's all it really needed. My goal really was nothing more than removing the rough travel. I'm perfectly happy with 2-stage triggers, having been used to them for the last couple of decades and some.

What came back was VERY nice. Surprisingly nice. Bill said "I was actually surprised myself that type of technique worked so well. I also worked the hammer a bit more to reduce some of the creep."

Yeah, that technique did really well. So much so that I'll forward Bill out another XCR lower next month too - and going on from there. There is so very little take-up now I wondered how he pulled that off. It doesn't feel like an AR trigger - like what I figured it would. Much better.

For what it's worth, this is the way I'm gonna have mine done. All of 'em.

I should mention that I sent mine off on Wednesday, and it was there waiting on me yesterday. 1 week turn-around, including shipping both ways.

Kudos to you Bill, for a job better than well done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.