XCR Forum banner

This just happened: Heli-Coil wants to leave town?!

2K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  fmunk 
#1 ·
How can I fix this?? This is the one for the case deflector.

See less See more
#2 ·
You have to pull it and install a new one. You'll likely need to buy the tap and install tool....pull the old one by grabbing with needle nose or similar and wind out....then tap very carefully...install the new one with lockign compound (most likely)

#3 · (Edited)
I'd also tap with tapping fluid like Tap Magic.....but you can sub regular oil instead. Just something to lube it...even WD40 would work in a pinch. Make sure it's an STI tap for the correct size helicoil (or other brand) coils.

Reactions: Merlin
#4 ·
Thanks times three, Sean. I wonder if I should chance sending to RA since I don't know the specs and would have to invest in new tools just to fix this one thing...

#5 ·
Yeah...the tool isn't cheap usually. Though if you go with an offbrand, it's less expensive.

If I had the one you needed, I'd do it for you (used to do Helicoils on the Apache all the time)....but I don't have the kit anymore.

#6 · (Edited)
I would recommend watching a few youtube vids on helicoil installs...it's super simple. You can do it...and the tools can be bought at your local NAPA generally speaking.

**EDIT** Is this the helicoil INSIDE the upper that holds one of the ejector bolts or on the outside where the "omni" buffer or case deflector goes? The outside one shoudl be simple. The inside will require loctite 242?? IIRC on the number for small bolts.

#9 ·
If you want...you can send me the upper and I'll fix it.

I'm just thinking the cost of shipping it may not be worth it.

If Nate's buying it...he may not even care.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.