XCR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me get this place warmed up (so to speak)....

I want to give bullet casting a shot. When I was a teenager, and too young to legally own cartridge pistols, my buddies and I all owned cap & ball revolvers, and I used to cast balls for us. It was almost as much fun as shooting the pistols.

So 30 years later, I'm ready to try again. I'd like to start with 9 mm. Any recommendations on specific bullet molds or on specific mold makers? My round ball molds were from Lee, but are aluminum molds the best way to go? They're certainly the cheapest. I would think that I'd need at least a two-cavity mold to make a decent quantity. You thoughts?

tk

·
Premium Member
6,143 Posts

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Probably the most active forum site is http://castboolits.gunloads.com/ . Tons of good info.
Yep, good website, that is the one I use. I just scored 2 5 gallon buckets of wheel weights today. I haven't actually tried casting yet, I am still making ingots. I went all out and bought the nice RCBS pot, I picked up the Aluminum Lee molds as well. I didn't get the tumble lube bullets, I prefer to size and lube in the same place. Everything that I read says they are good if you take care of them. They can really throw the bullets with 6 cavities. head over to castboolits and take a look around. As soon as I actually cast some bullets I will let you know.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guys,

thanks for the otes. I'll get a lee mold to start and check out castboolits.

Charliea,

where do you get cast bullets for $60 per thousand?

tk

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, stonewall has great prices!

thanks for the tip

tk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts