XCR Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...at qualifying for score with a rifle and handgun.

Well I didn't take him anywhere special. We just went to our usual desert spot with an M-forgery, a WASR 10 AK, my duty gun, a H und K P2000, and the trusty Glock 22. That along with my target stands, mags, ammo, and targets.

First thing I made sure was that the Bushmaster was zeroed. 9 rounds later we were in 'bid-ness'.

I ran the qual just as we do in the BP. While it's supposed to start at 100 meters/yards I had those reduced sized for 50 meters/yards. Then it goes to the 25, 15, and 10 CQB style quals. He's pretty handy with the long guns and knows what he is doing. But he didn't have any experience at CQB distance and time, until now.

He scored a 207 out of 250. Nothing wow, but it was his first time doing a qual at anything firearms. So it is respectable and the average usually seen at BP quals, maybe better than half of BP Agents. Besides he qualified as some have failed every now and then.

We repeated the qual but did it with an AK. He got a 194. Also qual'd. Anything above a 175 is qualifying.

Well then came the handgun. I would first say he's still pretty new at it but his technique is almost on the money. He still, no matter how many time I've shown and told him, about taking up the slack on the trigger before 'slamming it home'. And to quit slamming the trigger. I think he got it at the end but too late.

The course of fire is 72 rounds starting at the 1.5 yard line and end up at the 25 yard line. Maximum score is 360 and min quals is 242. All bullet holes are counted during scoring. All require to shoot from the holster and timed. If you are not used to BP quals, chances are that you will not pass it the first time around. It includes leaf and right one handed, and shooting from the kneeling position. As usual emergency and tactical reloads are incorporated but not judged, as well as post shooting techniques. I usually say I will ding anyone not doing a proper emergency reload 5 points per. Everyone always do it and the course is set up for it.

After 11 years of BP quals it's nothing for me to shoot high scores. It sure does help having been a FA instructor and being a gun nut in general. I'll admit that I've never got a 360 with a duty issued gun, seems to have eluded me on various occasions at 359. Since we switched to the P2000 it's taken me a while just to get back in the 350 range again. With the Beretta I've consistently shot in the high 350, with the P2000 it's been progressing from the 320 range a year ago when I first got it to low 350's now. Some take to the HK like duck to water, most don't. I've tested the Glock for myself running quals. I got a 359 the first time and a 360 the second time. But my Glock isn't a duty gun.

My son only had one chance to try it as the sun had already set below the horizon. He managed to only get a 214. But I have to remember he's only shot maybe 200 rounds total from any handgun in his life, maybe 3 or 4 times total and the last time was about 5 months ago. Rifle, that's another story. I felt he could have scored higher but it was his first time being scored.

I will say that he is f'ing lucky to get the training and opportunity he gets to do what he gets to do at his age and at no cost to him. I mean a great quality gun, mags, holster, ammo, and personal one on one instructor.

I told him once he gets above a 300 I will then teach him the other high speed stuff and it should only get better from here.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Good for him and good for you. I look forward to the days of shooting with my kids. Right now they just want to come to the range and pick up brass for me but when i get home from here I plan on taking my daughter out for the first time (she turns 5 today and reminded me on the phone the otherday that she will be old enough to shoot when I come home).

What an asset to have as a 13 year old kid, I can think of a million other things he could be doing that would be worse.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts