XCR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if there is a recommended torque setting for the Allen head mounting screw on the MI iron sights? I've installed mine just tight enough to hold them in place, but I'd like to know if I'm liable to damage or strip the threads if I overtighten the screws. They're pretty lightweight, so I imagine they won't come loose in normal use if they are only hand tightened.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I read an article in a magazine recently where they discussed how most people damage their scopes by over-tightening the rings. I don't remember the numbers specifically but they were using Leopold and Nightforce numbers and I want to say they were all under 20 in/lb of torque. Basically, as tight as you can get it with a screwdriver using only your thumb and index finger. I would think that if this was good advice for a $2000+ scope going on a .338 Lapua it should be OK for BUIS. :2cents:

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I was thinking. I'll just use the short end of the included Allen wrench as my tightening lever and I'll probably be fine. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
I have a Wheeler inch pound screwdriver and I torque all my scope rings screws to 30 inch pounds.I've never had a problem.AZ you might be thinking ft/lbs.Not sure exactly what the package recommends,but I'm certain the BUIS would be fine with 30.Hell call MI and ask them,I'm sure they would know.....lol

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
I have to dig up that spec sheet that came with that screwdriver,I could be wrong,but that won't be the first or last time... ;D

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Thats why I looked it up, I read so much online that I forget numbers all the time. I just want to make sure I am not putting out bad info more than anything.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Very good point,I would never intentionaly do that either.If I don't know,I look it up too.I just know that what I've been doing seems to be working,maybe I've just been lucky...

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
30 inch pounds sounds fine. if badger recommends 65 for the cross bolt (and that is for a big gun) I am sure that 30 will be just fine for the XCR and BUIS.

I know from the article that I read that the big issue is people tightening the actual rings that hold the scope. They said if you are putting any scratches on your scope at all then you are tightening too much. It doesn't seem like 15 inch pounds would be enough to hold a scope, especially on a hard recoiling rifle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts