XCR Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve read the older threads about torque wrenches for XCR barrel swapping. What are people using that works well? Any cautionary tales?

·
Registered
22,391 Posts
I’ve read the older threads about torque wrenches for XCR barrel swapping. What are people using that works well? Any cautionary tales?
You can overtighten it and snap the bolt. I have.

200 inch lbs is the spec....most go to 20 ft-lbs (240 inch lbs) if you want to be anal. I'd just crank it down nice and snug.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Sean K. thats what I thought. I have a wrench and bit that would work but was hoping to get one that allows me to set the max torque. I’m looking at several options and not sure what would be best. I have a nice torque driver for optics mounts etc but it doesn’t go high enough for the barrel bolt.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Experience with cars:
I got into an engine, and the manual had connecting rod torque specs in inch-pounds.
I looked up what it converted over to in foot-pounds. It's hand tighten range. And converting it kicked out numbers below the markings on my foot-pound torque wrenches. The torque setting isn't accurate until you get to the first mark (calibrated accurate in the range).
I ended up buying a inch-pound torque wrench. I'm guessing a rifle coming apart in your face is similar to an engine coming apart while you're on the highway. The right tool for the job on the car, saves a lot of walking and tow fees. Seems like the rifle might be even more important.

·
Registered
22,391 Posts
That’s why I’m seeking advice on which torque wrench to buy 🤣
I have both inch-lbs and ft-lbs torque wrenches (beam, clicker and digitals) that I calibrate at work. However, for the XCR bbl bolt...it's not an issue unless you're gorilla fisting the fucker on b/c you were told you could tighten it as much as you want (by someone that worked at RA). ;)

Of course if your torque wrench doesn't go down low enough (20 ft-lbs in this case)...then it won't work. At the top and bottom 10% of the scale, most torque wrenches aren't that accurate. 240 inch-lbs/20 ft-lbs isnt' going to over stress the bolt. Use whatever scale of tq wrench you want....it should be fine, but speaking from experience, just tighten it up snug and you should be good. Never had a bbl back out or loosen up on me.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks!
Yeah it’s sort of a funny thing that 200 in/lbs seems to be at the top of what some wrench do OR at the bottom so like you said, they aren’t that accurate at the ends of their ranges. I’ve had some bad experiences with finer bolts that I have overtightened… 🤦🏻‍♂️ Just trying to set myself up to do riggt by this upcoming gun that I’m so stoked about.

·
Registered
22,391 Posts
Thanks!
Yeah it’s sort of a funny thing that 200 in/lbs seems to be at the top of what some wrench do OR at the bottom so like you said, they aren’t that accurate at the ends of their ranges. I’ve had some bad experiences with finer bolts that I have overtightened… 🤦🏻‍♂️ Just trying to set myself up to do riggt by this upcoming gun that I’m so stoked about.
Which is why it makes more sense to use a ft-lb tq wrench.

$40: https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200621084_200621084?gclsrc=aw.ds&&utm_source=google_PPC&utm_medium=NT DSA Feed&utm_campaign=DSA Feed&utm_content=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIq4L7hbOG8gIVq8mUCR1KXA_dEAAYAyAAEgJUKvD_BwE

$41: Sunex 9702A Sunex Tools Torque Wrenches | Summit Racing

Big fan of beam style TQ wrenches too....

Just some examples.

But...that said, you're over thinking it. Just tighten it down

Reactions: Northern

·
Registered
496 Posts
I really like my Tekton torque wrenches. I have all three.

The ¼” drive works well for guns and mountain bikes.

All of the are printed in SAE and Metric on the same wrench.

Very affordable and great warranty. Although I’ve never had to return anything from them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22,391 Posts
I really like my Tekton torque wrenches. I have all three.

The ¼” drive works well for guns and mountain bikes.

All of the are printed in SAE and Metric on the same wrench.

Very affordable and great warranty. Although I’ve never had to return anything from them.

That looks like a really good deal. What is it you really like about them if you don't mind going into more detail?

·
Registered
496 Posts
That looks like a really good deal. What is it you really like about them if you don't mind going into more detail?
Solid click lock to set needed torque.

Nice form and function.

Good warranty.

Great price.

But most importantly I’ve checked them against my buddies snap on and it’s been spot on.

·
Registered
22,391 Posts
Solid click lock to set needed torque.

Nice form and function.

Good warranty.

Great price.

But most importantly I’ve checked them against my buddies snap on and it’s been spot on.

Thanks man. Thinking of picking up a set based on what you're saying. Thanks again!

Reactions: TTEngineer

·
Registered
101 Posts
I use a tekton 3/8 in/lb torque wrench and a wiha torquevario screwdriver for accessories/optics. Just make sure you store them 0'd out!

·
Registered
496 Posts
I use a tekton 3/8 in/lb torque wrench and a wiha torquevario screwdriver for accessories/optics. Just make sure you store them 0'd out!
Oh for sure.

Any torque wrench should stored at zero.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts