XCR Forum banner

Trans-Pacific & Trans-Atlantic Agreements: do they supersede US law?

Tags
ttip ttp
2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  scalton 
#1 · (Edited)
What do you guys think? Are the Trans-Pacific Partnership and the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership as bad as it looks from what little has been leaked out?

From one side it looks as if the TTP will allow multi-national companies to sue federal or local governments for any actions or laws that MIGHT reduce their expected profits. This appears to be able to supersede national and local laws.

It also appears to let these multi-national companies regulate to some extent: freedom of information on the internet, investigative reporting, labor cost and unions, healthcare and drug cost, and put further controls on financial services / banking.

Obama, the majority of the republicans and just enough democrats seem to be supporting this, in one fashion or another, to get it passed. Even if they just give the authority to Obama to fast track it through.

How can these types of agreements be made in secret? Has our country become so corrupt that our politicians can create agreements that would strip us of our rights, in some cases our ability to make a living, give that power to huge corporations, all without so much as a whimper from the people?

Welcome to TPP Hawaii | Hawaii and the Trans-Pacific Partnership Treaty

What is TTIP? The controversial trade deal proposal explained | Business | The Guardian

See less See more
#2 ·
The obvious answer is: Yes, our country and its people have become so corrupt or apathetic we won't do anything to stop our wealth and livelihoods being stolen from us. We likely won't even notice until we ourselves are living in cardboard boxes and starving on the street.

When you have nothing to lose, you have everything to gain. Expect that realization to be incredibly bloody and chaotic....what will likely fill that vacuum will most likely be an even more tyrannical, despotic, dictatorial regime b/c it will claim to offer "security and stability" by "managing" the chaos...and we all know how 'Muricans love to give up liberty for a false sense of security.

In short, I wish I could be more positive but I see the idiocy of my fellow man on a regular basis too much to hold out much hope otherwise.

#3 · (Edited)
op is rite on but really they are a treaty and cant supersede state law but sean k is also rite on

nothing like negotiating a treaty in secret hmmmm wonder why

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<------oh and this

#4 ·
Remember the one; "We haven't read it, don't know what's in it but We Know It's Good for you!!" "So we are going to sign it!!"

Interesting too that I get email from The NRA supporting this too.

#6 ·
What I believe they are doing with all these treaty's is just formalizing the "legal" documentation they need to give/transfer whats left of the US wealth to the corporations, Chinese ect.
It should not supersede the constitution but that won't matter to those in power that stand to profit from this and since our Justice Department is Obama's leashed dog who will argue against it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.