XCR Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
5,177 Posts
Re: Unbelievable...

yep. if you have chickens, you should be worried about hawks, owls, skunks, weasles, and everything else in between.

I had a bunch of pet silkies growing up. I think they are friggin adorable Are they bantams or full size?

· Registered
5,177 Posts
If you don't have a concrete or wire foundation going down at the very least two feet, something probably dug under. Skunks are damn near impossible to stop from getting in. Walk around the coop, look for anywhere the skunk may have dug under. If it was a raccoon, the intestines would be eaten and the rest wasted. Skunks tend to like the breast meat, and if they can't drag the whole thing back with them, that's what they will eat before leaving.

Once a skunk has found your coop, it's pretty hard to stop them. Set a trap, catch the bastard, and shoot him between the eyes. That's what I always do. Those big cage traps usually work fine. Bait with tuna or raw chicken.

· Registered
5,177 Posts
it could also be a rat. Rats generally prey on chicks only, but who knows. You could have a big 'un. Search for openings to tunnels under nesting boxes or boards. What kind of latch do you have on the door? A really, really smart animal may even be able to get past a simple latch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.