XCR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
198 Posts
I'm in the market for a 7.62x39 XCR, so it's good to see that they appear to run in the XCR. Here's a low budget video that I made of shooting 7.62x39 through my M16 using the RZE Unimags. Skip to 4:41 if you just want to see the shooting.

· Registered
198 Posts
The new order for 19 RZE Unimags that I placed came in. Interestingly, the floor plates are in the white. The finish on the magazine bodies appears to be a little weak and spotty, but is otherwise ok. The floor plates are marked with two different numbers which I'm guessing are dates. One is 831-16 and the other is 05-6-18. In inserted one of each in my Tactical Machining 7.62x39 AR15 build and the same in my Windham Weaponry 7.62x39 factory built rifle. All locked in, held the bolt back and dropped free without issue. I'll test them this weekend hopefully.

· Registered
198 Posts
Yes. The ones that I've been using from a previous batch all run 100%. There were magazines that appear to be from two different batches in this shipment. In order to really thoroughly test a magazine, how many rounds do you think that you'd have to put through it? For me it's several hundred to be completely confident, but fifty makes me pretty confident. If I just put 2x25=50 through all 19, then it would take almost a full case of 7.62x39, not to mention all the wear on my rifles. Plus, it just wouldn't be that fun. I'll continue to shoot these two as the opportunity presents itself. I'll also break out a couple more from this batch once I'm completely confident in the first two. If these four prove themselves over time, I don't think there's any reason to take the rest out of their original factory sealed packaging. I literally have several one hundred magazine cases of regular metal USGI magazines that I've never opened. I just use a few from the same batch and they've proven themselves enough that I can be confident in the rest of the magazines from the same batch. The same holds for multiple other types of magazines.

· Registered
198 Posts
Just letting you know I bought 29 of the Unimags and had trouble with 7 of them, IIRC. They wouldn't drop free or were a very tight fit on a couple different AR lowers and XCRs.
I'm curious if the markings on your mags that wouldn't drop free were all the same and the ones that would drop free were different. Or, did some mags with the same markings drop free while others didn't? Were the ones that wouldn't drop free also the ones that had feeding issues or did some that would drop free have feeding issues? Were/are any of the markings the same as pictured above? Sorry for so many questions. I'm an engineer and like to track down every possible variable.

· Registered
198 Posts
Primary Arms did sell them, but they no longer seem to. I did find them at the link below for the same price. It's a stupid company name, but I did buy something else from them and it was delivered promptly without issue.
https://shop.tacticalshit.com/unimag-multiple-caliber-magazine

I also use the D&H 7.62x39 magazines in my AR15's and M16A1. They run reliably as well, but do take up more space. Check out my low budge video above for a look at them. I don't know about 5.45x39 as I don't currently have an AR15 so chambered.

· Registered
198 Posts
I have all of the parts necessary for a 5.45x39 AR15 build with the exception of the piston system that I purchased for it. It's literally been on backorder for months. My receiver is even marked 5.45x39. My hope is that the Unimags work for it.

· Registered
198 Posts
I ordered an Osprey Defense gas piston system from Optics Planet. The expected receipt date keeps getting put off.
https://ospreydefense.com/ops-416/
I bought the 5.45x39 marked receiver from Bishamon Arms. The 5.45x39 chrome lined barrel came from Model 1 Sales. Finally, I found the bolt and enhanced firing pin at Red X Arms. Everything else is the same as 5.56x45.

· Registered
198 Posts
I don't mind the drop ship part, but I'm about ready to pull the plug on Osprey Defense. The only reason I bought the Osprey Defense piston conversion kit was to try something different. I have two rifles with Adam Arms conversion kits and they run great. One's actually a 6.5 Grendel AR15 that I built.

· Registered
198 Posts
Bobby, I have not tested further because I want to leave them in the original factory sealed packaging. Based on the fact that the previous ones that I've purchased work 100% and the two I've tested work 100%, I'm confident in the others.

· Registered
198 Posts
I picked up a new 11" 7.62x39 Bren 2Ms pistol last week and got to shoot it for the first time yesterday. I installed an adapter in the magazine well to convert it from using the CZ proprietary magazines over to using 7.62x39 AR15 magazines. It ran 100% with the RZE Unimags. It also ran 100% with the magazines I used (D&H 30rd and ASC 20rd).

· Registered
198 Posts
Do the factory CZ mags work 100%? I was mildly interested in one mainly b/c it has a mag designed from the ground up to be a X39 mag.
I don't know. I didn't use them. I wasn't going to buy the 7.62x39 Bren 2 because of it using proprietary magazines, but changed my mind when I found out that the magazine adapter is available. I'm pretty confident that the factory mags would work 100%. They appear to have an AR15 top, but a constant curvature. People have said the original clear ones crack, but the newer black ones seem to be more durable.

· Registered
198 Posts
I was checking out that Pistol, and it looks Great with the Pistol Brace, but have not found best pricing yet.
Also what Ammunition were you running...Wishful thinking that it was Steel Case.
I just searched on gun.deals and found the best price. I forget who it came from, but they shipped fast. I bought the version without the pistol brace because I'm planning on SBR'ing it. Yes, I did use steel cased ammo. In this case it was the Tula 122gr FMJ that's copper (no bimetal) jacketed.

· Registered
198 Posts
I have not shot my barrel because I still have not been able to assemble the rifle due to not yet receiving the piston gas system. I may give up on that and go direct gas. That said, it looks good, is chrome lined and is made from a Shaw blank. I did drop a cartridge in the chamber and it's nice and tight.

· Registered
198 Posts
In order to help the Wolf cycle more reliably in 6.5Grendel, do you think it would be possible to drill out a hole in the gas valve to allow more gas through? The Wolf Military Classic 6.5Grendel is much less expensive than the US made brass cased stuff.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts