XCR Forum banner
81 - 100 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
5.45X39 Barrel

I'd guess that means 2018, but who really knows for sure. Of course it doesn't really matter assuming they work. I'm confident they will.
ASAP i will be Testing the Unimags i just received, but until then i am working on other projects.
Do you have any other sources for a 5.45x39 barrel?
I have been looking all over for someone who still has any in stock.
I am just about ready to have one Custom made from about the only place i can find https://mcgowenbarrel.com/shop/custom-ar-barrel/
Also i just sent out an Email to Ballistic Advantage out of Florida to ask if they will be Producing their 5.45x39 Barrels and Bolts again.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Model 1 Sales 5.45x39 Barrels

Model 1 Sales is the only place that I've found 5.45x39 barrels in stock.
Model 1 Sales: 5.45x39 EM-4 Barrel
Model 1 Sales: 5.45x39 Commando Barrel
Thanks Bret for the Links for the 5.45x39 Barrels at Model 1 Sales.
I have seen these Barrels before in my quest to find 5.45x39 Barrels, but
I did not know anything about them as far as Quality, or mainly how Accurate they are.
If you have any info on your experience with Accuracy ,or anything that would help me
with making a decision to buy from them please let me know.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have not shot my barrel because I still have not been able to assemble the rifle due to not yet receiving the piston gas system. I may give up on that and go direct gas. That said, it looks good, is chrome lined and is made from a Shaw blank. I did drop a cartridge in the chamber and it's nice and tight.

·
Registered
37 Posts
5.45x39 Barrels

I have not shot my barrel because I still have not been able to assemble the rifle due to not yet receiving the piston gas system. I may give up on that and go direct gas. That said, it looks good, is chrome lined and is made from a Shaw blank. I did drop a cartridge in the chamber and it's nice and tight.
Thanks Bret....i have not shot the Barrel i have either from Adams Arms which is 11.5 but not Chrome lined.
I think the Barrel you have from Model 1 Sales is a Good choice based on what you have mentioned.
I am going to post these links of some 5.45x39 Barrel sources i have found, but not all are in stock currently, but were.
https://mcgowenbarrel.com/shop/custom-ar-barrel/ custom Barrels with choice of 4140 chrome moly or 416R Stainless.
You have choices on length of Barrel, and Gas System Lengths in the drop down for each category.
16" RXA 5.45x39 BLACK STRAIGHT FLUTED HEAVY BARREL; SS 1:8 TWIST Not Secure website
16" RXA 5.45x39 STRAIGHT FLUTED HEAVY BARREL; SS 1:8 TWIST Not Secure website
5.45x39 16" M4 Profile Nitride Barrel - AR15-Supply.com Not Secure website
The last 3 links say they are not secure right before the Address so i am not sure about them.
aside from the link you posted for Model 1 Sales, i am also interested in the first link i posted for Mcgowenbarrel.com

·
Registered
23,127 Posts
One good gun doesn't prove anything...just as one bad one doesn't. I'm thinking lot/serial numbers might be a lot more telling.

CZ's excuse doesn't mean shit. I've got THOUSANDS of rounds of laquered up X39 through AKs and XCRs that are never cleaned and it should NEVER choke your gun if it's built right.

I'm admittedly biased, but it just seems CZ fucked this one up (uncharacteristically).

You have to spend quite a bit more money to get a decent, workable length handguard from the aftermarket (HB Industries here in AZ) and you have to add an adapter to take a ACR/Tailhook to make the pistol into a usable one that actually looks half way decent.

Seems to me, the XCR in X39 offers all that plus a lot more frankly for about the same price. Only advantage I see is the proprietary mags...and that's debatable considering they aren't inexpensive.

·
Registered
37 Posts
XCR 7.62X39 Pistol

One good gun doesn't prove anything...just as one bad one doesn't. I'm thinking lot/serial numbers might be a lot more telling.

CZ's excuse doesn't mean shit. I've got THOUSANDS of rounds of laquered up X39 through AKs and XCRs that are never cleaned and it should NEVER choke your gun if it's built right.

I'm admittedly biased, but it just seems CZ fucked this one up (uncharacteristically).

You have to spend quite a bit more money to get a decent, workable length handguard from the aftermarket (HB Industries here in AZ) and you have to add an adapter to take a ACR/Tailhook to make the pistol into a usable one that actually looks half way decent.

Seems to me, the XCR in X39 offers all that plus a lot more frankly for about the same price. Only advantage I see is the proprietary mags...and that's debatable considering they aren't inexpensive.

·
Super Moderator
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Just as a follow-up after using these for a while with the XCR.

Pretty reliable in 7.62x39. Cheap shit, expensive shit, it just seems to work.

With 6.5G Wolf ammo I see double feeds on rounds that are under-pressure. Even if I bump the gas to 4, beating up the gun, I still see some issues with these. It's more wolf causing a short-stroke than anything, but these unimags are more sensitive to timing than other mags. With commercial and handloads I see very few double feeds (maybe 1/200).

·
Registered
195 Posts
In order to help the Wolf cycle more reliably in 6.5Grendel, do you think it would be possible to drill out a hole in the gas valve to allow more gas through? The Wolf Military Classic 6.5Grendel is much less expensive than the US made brass cased stuff.

·
Registered
23,127 Posts
Just as a follow-up after using these for a while with the XCR.

Pretty reliable in 7.62x39. Cheap shit, expensive shit, it just seems to work.

With 6.5G Wolf ammo I see double feeds on rounds that are under-pressure. Even if I bump the gas to 4, beating up the gun, I still see some issues with these. It's more wolf causing a short-stroke than anything, but these unimags are more sensitive to timing than other mags. With commercial and handloads I see very few double feeds (maybe 1/200).
With commercially loaded brass 6.5G we've noticed the opposite....the Wolf is hotter (in terms of ejection distances) than the brass stuff. This is on my XCR 6.5G and well as a friend's PSA AR with adjustable gas block.

·
Registered
23,127 Posts
In order to help the Wolf cycle more reliably in 6.5Grendel, do you think it would be possible to drill out a hole in the gas valve to allow more gas through? The Wolf Military Classic 6.5Grendel is much less expensive than the US made brass cased stuff.
Yes....this is done somewhat regularly with XCR dials....just be careful how much you open them up...and it will also depend on which "Type" gas system you have....and also check your bbl port as well as the gasblock port. The dial is only one port out of 3 that are involved.

·
Registered
23,127 Posts

·
Super Moderator
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
With commercially loaded brass 6.5G we've noticed the opposite....the Wolf is hotter (in terms of ejection distances) than the brass stuff. This is on my XCR 6.5G and well as a friend's PSA AR with adjustable gas block.
In my case its clear something is off, on gas 4 the normal wolf goes 20ft ejecting, when there's a double feed you can feel the recoil is lighter and only ejects about 8ft, or ejects at a different angle. I've settled on running gas 2 unless using the wolf. It is an old case (from when wolf initially started importing the 6.5) so they may have fixed it in newer lots. Type 3 gas.

·
Registered
23,127 Posts
In my case its clear something is off, on gas 4 the normal wolf goes 20ft ejecting, when there's a double feed you can feel the recoil is lighter and only ejects about 8ft, or ejects at a different angle. I've settled on running gas 2 unless using the wolf. It is an old case (from when wolf initially started importing the 6.5) so they may have fixed it in newer lots. Type 3 gas.
Yeah, mine are newer lots....so that may be the difference.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Sixteen years since inception... the -L is finally getting some positive traction? albeit limited. And MAC seems to have gotten good experiences with their Uni-mags.

81 - 100 of 119 Posts