XCR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shipped out my XCR barrel via United States Postal Service. Shipped 2-day priority with signature required, etc. That was 2 weeks ago and nothing. No way to track it, nothing. Someone at customer no-service said they would start an investigation and assigned me some number. The postmaster at my PO I shipped it from said that was bogus. They have no real way to track a lost package. They just wait to see if it turns up somewhere. They're not set up like UPS with the scanners at every step.

I can't even start a claim for 30 days. Guess i'll be giving Terra a call soon.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
I feel your pain. The USPS has cost me over a grand in lost boxes. I ordered an RRA NM upper a few years back. Letter carrier stated she never delivered it. Was never tracked at the apartment office I lived at. Postmaster related that since the delivery confirmation showed "delivered" it was legally out of their hands. So, somewhere there's a happy person with a brand new NM upper rcvr that I paid for.
Before my wife and I got married she was deployed and had them hold her mail. Her letter carrier took it upon himself to write all of her subscriptions to cancel them. When she returned and complained about it the postmaster related she may file a complaint but alas, government employee. Yeah, I go over there and give that postmaster crap every chance I get. I hate those guys.

Since then we are proud clients of the UPS store, they can deal with the USPS for us. I don't ship anything worth anything of remote value through anyone but UPS, though FedEx I tihnk is still a little cheaper yet.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Fedex sure wasn't cheaper when they delivered my Kalashnikov to me.

After running it pretty hard for a few years, I decided to send it off to Power Custom for a nice trigger job.

Power Custom sent it back via FEDEX.

When I got it (dropped off, not signed for) the oprod handle was sticking through the wall of the hard case.

Nothing appeared to be damaged, but it turns out the frame has a slight buckle to it where the barrel trunion is riveted in. The carrier doesn't want to ride unimpeded all the way forward now either - it malfs every 400 rounds or so.

So now I've got a LOVELY East German AK with a great trigger, in 5.56 NATO - and about 70 good Weiger mags for it - and it's far from reliable.

Needless to say, I don't use FEDEX.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
If you ship your package insured and registered it is "tracked" through what is called the "red room." Red room packages are tracked from "red room" to "red room" in the US Postal Service system. Demand to talk with the supervisor in the red room. :2cents:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They've got about 5-6 ways to ship a package. I didn't ship it "registered", just "signature confirmation" and shipped 2-day priority. I'll ask them about the Redrum though.

They did tell me that if I had shipped it "express", they could track it. But it couldn't be "priority" because someone has to phsyically has to sign for it at every location and that slows it down. Still not as good as UPS's system though.

If anyone else does receive it, it's worthless to them unless they happen to own an XCR.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Bravo-
That sucks. We've got good rapport with the folks there at the UPS store. Awhile back they had told us about rate increases due to gas prices but she said that FedEx was still lower on some things. Did you try to do a claim on it?

It's funny to note that when you order something through the US Mint, collector sets and such, they typically don't use USPS. It's probably something to do with rates but it's still funny.

Hope your barrel turns up Roughneck.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
I have heard from several mail order companies that ups isn't very gun friendly,and have had problems with "package investigation" and other weird occurrences.I personally have never had any problems with USPS,But that doesn't mean it can't happen.I always use priority with insurance when I use them.Bravo did you try to make a claim on your AK?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
I had a .338 Lapua custom rifle go missing for a while until I complained and threatened to call the ATF and register it stolen. They found it within eight hours after that.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
I did the same thing with a Glock.

It was on its way back from getting customized at ARS, when UPS "lost" it.

I didn't care, 'cause I'd insured it for a bit over what it was worth.
When the doofus woman on the phone essentially told me that it didn't matter what I'd insured it for, they'd pay what they felt the pistol was worth - and explained that since it was "used" they'd depreciate the value - I did like you did.

I just explained that they didn't need to even look for it, 'cause as soon as I hung up I'd be on the phone to the batf to file a complaint for "felony firearms theft by a common carrier".

They amazingly "found" my Glock and had it to me within 8 hours.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Everyone is afraid of the Gun Gestapo...

·
Registered
681 Posts
Holy crap, I've had several go out and come in via ups, uppers, and custom work, etc. I've never had an issue (knock on wood) but now you all have me scared. :-[

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I think it really depends how you ship it. Nighthawk custom ships all thier pistol out UPS next day. When i had to ship them a gun to do some work they recommended shipping it 2 day dissassembled. Something about a complete pistol had to be shipped overnight but gun parts can go 2 day. I trust UPS more than I do USPS but I have used USPS to send lowers to Bill Springfield.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
HA

UPS is horrible. They have lost us several grand in merch. Just this year alone.

No rifles lost... but barrels, kits, that kind of thing. Effing idiots.. and their customer service is about as pleasant as a steaming pile of poo.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Yup UPS lost a 1000 dollar computer of mine as well they have lost tons of stuff my mom has ordered. I won't use UPS ever again.

·
Registered
384 Posts
in short that is simply F.U.B.A.R....... :)

CLICk on pic then read.

2 ups employees taking.
employee #1 says we lost somebodys gun again.

employee #2 says i think its in that pile.
after a brief walk around they pile employee #1 says did u see a gun inthere?
employee #2 says oh well chaulk it up too insurance again, then when we find i got dibs on it,lol.....
employee #1 lol, you always get dibs first man.
employee #2 well well just lose somebody elses stuff and you get dibs, okay?

now this was a dramatization as too what could have occurred. the actual facts will never be known..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I used to work for UPS, and can confirm that a lot of the HORROR stories are indeed true. :duh:

Some of the stuff I saw was pretty wild. On the other hand, these are generally the exception and not the norm.

However, more customers rip off UPS than the other way around. ::)

UPS replaces more screen/storm doors than Home Depot. It could be a solid month of calm, clear, sunny days - and people will claim the UPS man left their storm door open, forgot to latch it, and the wind caught it and busted it all to hell...

FedEx is NO better in their package handling, as my son used to work for them, and I can tell you that fragile items don't stand a chance.

Regardless, you all know the obvious...

Take pictures of whatever it is you are shipping - INSURE it for replacement value, and package it well.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts