XCR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Enjoy. Fun Stuff >:D ;D

Parental Advisory - This Video May Feature Foul Language And 2nd Amendment Fun. It may not be suitable for liberals or residents of NY and CA.

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
That looks slick. Fun fun fun.

·
Registered
702 Posts
sinjin: The smoke is from propellant. I use FFG black powder substitute as "smokeless" powder is too trick to use. You need expensive smokeless casings, blanks for a primer charge and only 4 grains of smokeless. It is too easy to blow yourself up. With FFG you can use anywhere from 1/4 to 1 tsp. and not have a problem.

MadDog

·
Registered
264 Posts
Maddog,

Do you have it registered as a DD? I am so curious about these things. I was going to pick one up but thought better of it. I am now considering doing a 40mm after saving up some money. Any comment?

·
Registered
702 Posts
sterling: It is registered as a DD. The tax stamp took a little longer than my last form1 but it still wasn't too bad at 9 weeks mailbox to mailbox. I was looking at 40mm and wanted one real bad but the least expensive is three to four times the cost of a Spike's 37mm and you still need to get a tax stamp for it. I just have to roll my own rounds but you would need to do that anyway with a 40mm as the only commercial 40mm out there at a "good price" are practice chalk rounds.

MadDog

·
Registered
264 Posts
Mad,

thanks for the reply. With the 37mm do they have things like behive rounds? What kind of rounds can you "roll"?

I have no interest in anything like HE or the like.

Just curious if it is worth the cost.

The video looks great but what are you launching out of it? Any accuracy?

Sorry for all the questions I am just thinking about taking the plunge and want to know what I would be getting into.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
It says that this video is not available in my country. Guess they don't want Iraqis getting any ideas??

·
Registered
702 Posts
First you can't export guns and gun parts, now you can't export gun VIDEO......go figure :duh:

The State Department "should" allow you to see this video over there. If the insurgents decide to emulate "me" and my goofy shooting style they will definitely loose the war on terror and the USA will be a lot safer.

MadDog :D

·
Registered
652 Posts
Enjoy. Fun Stuff >:D ;D

Parental Advisory - This Video May Feature Foul Language And 2nd Amendment Fun. It may not be suitable for liberals or residents of NY and CA.
Thanks for the invite! ::)

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
First you can't export guns and gun parts, now you can't export gun VIDEO......go figure :duh:

The State Department "should" allow you to see this video over there. If the insurgents decide to emulate "me" and my goofy shooting style they will definitely loose the war on terror and the USA will be a lot safer.

MadDog :D
It's a damn copyright issue again. Universal only owns the rights in certain nations.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
No worries, I have moved to a different place where most of the internet is blocked. No youtube allowed (or photobucket for that matter).

·
Registered
18 Posts
What kind of BP rounds are you loading in your 37mm DD? Chalk film-canisters with rubber nose-cones? What kind of max range are you getting?

I have a Fed-Labs single-shot "gas gun", and need to try loading up some chalk rounds. I understand that putting nose-cones on the film-canister makes a world of difference in range, but that if you're using nose-cones you're getting into a gray area verging on DD territory. I'll just have to try noseless BP rounds, with Grog's booster widget glued in the base (supposedly also adds range).

Would greatly appreciate any info you have on 37mm DD homemade rounds, particularly as applies to range.

Oh, and have you looked into any high-angle quadrant sights to bolt onto that side rail? ;D

·
Registered
702 Posts
matthew: My launcher is registered as a DD so nosecones are all I have used on my film-can projos. I cast the nosecones and pusher wads out of resin with molds I purchased for $25 from Mike Patterson. The zink rings that Grog sells doesn't really extend the range of a projo much. With casings I get from brassman which I cut down to the length of my projos, I am getting 100 to 125 yards using 3/4 tsp. of Hogdon 777 powder. If I use booster casings made by Mike Patterson (which cost 6 times what brassman casings do) you get 250 yards from only 1/2 tsp. of powder. I fill the film cans with a mixture of sand and red line chalk. With the pusher wad and nosecone the total weight of the projo is 1/4 lb. If you register your launcher as a DD you can make flaschette rounds by cutting a film can down to 1", glueing the pusher wad on the bottom, cut the sides of the film can so it looks like a shotgun wad, prime the casing and add powder, insert a cardboard overcard, insert the modified film can, add about 150 1" flaschetts, insert two cardboard overcards and you are ready to go. My flaschette rounds will blow completely through 3/4" plywood at 20 yards leaving a 4" dia. hole and depositing about half of the flaschetts around the hole.

MadDog :rockon:

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Well, when you put it that way, I think I really need to get one of these.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Well, when you put it that way, I think I really need to get one of these.
I was thinking the same thing. Makes for an interesting payload delivery system.

·
Registered
18 Posts
[37mm info]
Awesome, that really clears that up! One of the factors holding me back from doing much with my FedLabs is that it's not DD, and nose-less projectiles apparently get less than 100m. I can get 75m with a rifle-grenade off an AR-15 for pennies a shot, so it's hard to get excited about noseless rounds. That and I'm not into pyro/smoke, so noseless "marking rounds" are about all the fun I can have unless I DD the FedLabs.

Out of curiousity, if the Patterson boosters (which is what I meant to refer to in my above post) would double your range, aren't they worth the $10 or so each? I'd imagine one only keeps around a half-dozen or so 37mm hulls, and they last indefinitely, so it seems a minor investment for such a huge range increase.

Seeing that BP 37mm casings max out at 250, I'm starting to think that someday I'll have to splurge on a GL that can take smokeless cartridges, get that max 400m. Unfortunately M79s are running around $5K or better these days...

Do you have any quadrant sight for your XCR, or do you just guesstimate?

·
Registered
702 Posts
Matthew: Mike Patterson's booster casings are worth the extra money. I have 6 of them and 12 fed labs aluminum casings. Since I already have the casings and they last a loooong time, it only cost me about .85 cents per round if making "chalk practice rounds". That is pretty cheap even if I launch all 18 rounds per session. Flaschette rounds cost more but I am not sure how much because I am still reloading from a rather large bag of flaschettes someone gave me for free. No quadrant sights on my XCR. The launcher adds enough weight so I didn't want to add any more than I have to. I just guesstimate my angle of attack.

Dog :bazooka:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts