XCR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I know, most of you probably already know this, but i thought i'd post to reiterate the fact.

I usually buy the 100 count winchester wb for my bulk 9mm and .45 because frankly it's decent for target practice, it's cheaper than about anything else i've found ($0.20 and $0.30 per round respectively), and I can salvage the brass for reloading (something i've only recently started to do).

So i go into a local walmart this weekend and they have several boxes of 9mm, I ask to buy a few boxes and am told that the ammo is limited to one box per customer per day. I ask why (I've bought in bulk from several walmarts and this is the first that limited my purchase), and he says because people are buying it in bulk, he decided to limit it.

He told me with obvious incredulity of receiving a shipment of 10 boxes of 9mm and someone coming in and purchasing all 10. "10 boxes" he repeated for emphasis in a high pitched tone to drive home how wrong he thought this behaviour was. Anyway, he decided after that purchase to place the limit and ran it by store management who agreed.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they are perfectly within their right to refuse to sell me more than one box, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. Hopefully this is isolated to the Alma walmart and won't be adopted more widely.

Anyone else have a retailer "rationing" their ammo sales?

·
Registered
571 Posts
I've heard rumors about Walmart limiting ammo purchases as well.

Apparently it's on a store-by-store basis, however. Just at lunch today I bought 4 of the 100 round boxes of WWB .40S&W and they didn't bat an eye.

Maybe try another store if there's one in your area. Either it's not a chain-wide policy or I was helped by a clerk who wasn't in the know.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
My walmart doesn't even get ammo it seems. I would do the same thing though, if I walked in and they had a case I would probably buy it.

What if you were taking a training course and needed 500+ rounds? What are you supposed to do?

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
It is better to get 10 people in the store than one. For the most part you will buy other things, when I go into Walmart to buy ammo I always do.

I have seen many other companies do it, mail order and in-store, gun and non-gun.

Perfectly fine in my book.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Don't f%^&ing buy at Walmart then. :duh:

How much does one chain have to be anti-gun before you stop buying their crap. Try the internet or ask around about local dealers, my local store just purchased tons of Remington pistol ammo and already is selling 1000rds of PMC 223 for $399.

I get pissed because people support businesses that consistently take anti-gun stances then bitch when anti-gun legislation gets passed etc...

Be part of the solution!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yes, I know, most of you probably already know this, but i thought i'd post to reiterate the fact.

I usually buy the 100 count winchester wb for my bulk 9mm and .45 because frankly it's decent for target practice, it's cheaper than about anything else i've found (

I usually buy the 100 count winchester wb for my bulk 9mm and .45 because frankly it's decent for target practice, it's cheaper than about anything else i've found ($0.20 and $0.30 per round respectively), and I can salvage the brass for reloading (something i've only recently started to do).

So i go into a local walmart this weekend and they have several boxes of 9mm, I ask to buy a few boxes and am told that the ammo is limited to one box per customer per day. I ask why (I've bought in bulk from several walmarts and this is the first that limited my purchase), and he says because people are buying it in bulk, he decided to limit it.

He told me with obvious incredulity of receiving a shipment of 10 boxes of 9mm and someone coming in and purchasing all 10. "10 boxes" he repeated for emphasis in a high pitched tone to drive home how wrong he thought this behaviour was. Anyway, he decided after that purchase to place the limit and ran it by store management who agreed.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they are perfectly within their right to refuse to sell me more than one box, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. Hopefully this is isolated to the Alma walmart and won't be adopted more widely.

.20 and

.30 per round respectively), and I can salvage the brass for reloading (something i've only recently started to do).

Which Walmart was it?

·
Registered
923 Posts
I hate buying from Wal-Mart but I cant pass up a deal and my local Wal-Mart has Blazer Brass 9mm for $8.47 a box. I buy atleast 2 everytime I go in.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I hate buying from Wal-Mart but I cant pass up a deal and my local Wal-Mart has Blazer Brass 9mm for .47 a box. I buy atleast 2 everytime I go in.
You must not hate them that much, then.
I really dont like getting stuff from them but that is by far the best price I have seen for semi-decent 9mm ammo locally and I have not seen much better online. I the next closest price I can find locally is 13.47 a box for remington

·
Registered
124 Posts
my local gun store sells common caliber ammo by the case at good prices. I want my money to stay local whenever possible, Wal-mart will get NONE of my business.

I hate buying from Wal-Mart but I cant pass up a deal and my local Wal-Mart has Blazer Brass 9mm for .47 a box. I buy atleast 2 everytime I go in.
:D

·
Registered
194 Posts
my local gun store sells common caliber ammo by the case at good prices. I want my money to stay local, Wal-mart will get NONE of my business.

Damn...sounds like an Obama rally. Alright...fess-up...you voted for him...didn't you! Walmart comes to town and puts the mom and pop businesses out of business regardless of the fact that they had been gouging you for the last 20 years.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
my local gun store sells common caliber ammo by the case at good prices. I want my money to stay local whenever possible, Wal-mart will get NONE of my business.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x41/heretic013/demot/Savings.jpg[img]
[/quote]
You're going to put them out of business! :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Damn...sounds like an Obama rally. Alright...fess-up...you voted for him...didn't you! Walmart comes to town and puts the mom and pop businesses out of business regardless of the fact that they had been gouging you for the last 20 years.
well they've certainly done plenty to force factories into "cheaper labor markets" which affects us all in the end, faster and faster we go on a proverbial race to the bottom, wheeeeee. Not to mention the unsustainable trade deficit, Walmart is communist China's best business friend. those aren't the kind of friends I like to keep or support.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
If my local guys could even get close to Walmart I would buy from them. I don't like to be gouged. I buy my fuel at walmart too, that local mom and pop place charges $0.20 more and their fuel is old and stale. I don't make enough money to get gouged. I still try to shop local when I can but most times it just doesn't happen.

I still buy american ammo when I shop at walmart. You will never catch me buying Wolf, I support American Made.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
This is a tough one. Walmart is the world's largest retailer. It's business model is caustic, but its prices are so cheap that economists say it has single-handedly kept in inflation down in the US. Since I reload, I don't buy ammo there, but we do shop there sometimes.

tk

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
I agree that it's not an easy predicament we find ourselves in.The globalization of national economies used to be a big threat to U.S. sovereignty.Now it's more than likely our fiscal irresponsibility that will be our eventual downfall.Walmart has brought low prices to the masses but at the cost of many,many American jobs.This has help cause the massive trade deficit between us and China.This is all not Walmarts fault,because any company will use a cheaper job market if available,that would be fine if that were the limits of it's unfair practices and corruption.This is definitely not Sam Waltons Walmart he envisioned for the everday folks getting a good price.Walmart has pretty much monopolized the retail market for most everyday products,therefore most Americans have no alternative but to go there because that's all they can afford.I think as a society we have become a slave to material things and that is what has led us down this path of Walmart worship.Buy more cheap junk,pay less.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts