XCR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in CA so only 10 round mags for me, anyway I want to buy a diff cal bbl other than the 5.56. I cannot decide which of the 3 is most accurate and affordable down the line. I do reload but not for any of the 3 as I do not own other rifles in the 6.5, 6.8, or 7.62. What do you guys prefer and why. I would probably hunt mule deer at less than 150 yards, I only have access to a 100yd range locally (free for me LE although I am not an LEO, I am an ACO)

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Well, I am not much help as I only have a 6.8 but I love it and would recomment it fully. Especially for deer out to 150-200m. Gunner will chime in, he shoots all 3 along with other calibers so he may be more help.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
7.62x39 can be interesting. You need to make sure the barrel bore and bullet diameter match for good accuracy. Also surplus of Wolf isn't the most consistent.

7.62x39 actually uses a 0.311 bullet not a .308. Some ammo uses a .308 bullet and some bores are .308 and not .311 so you need to spec it right to get good accuracy.

6.8 is nice, good knockdown and retained energy out to about 300 yards. I know a few guys who hunt with it and all speak highly of it at intermediate ranges.

6.5 is the bees knees with respect o accuracy and carries a fairly weighty bullet so it can deliver punch. You really need to reload this though to keep costs down.

For accuracy I suspect you are looking at 6.5, 6.8 and 5.56 being close and 7.62x39 being the least accurate, though I have not shot 7.62x39 in an XCR. 6.5 excels at long range, but agian no experience of this in an XCR.

Gunner can definitely provide more insight to these.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
3006MV. You said MULE deer. If you had said Southern Whitetail I would have said 6.8 or 6.5. The Muley is a hell of a lot heaver. For that .280 or above. NIX on the 7.62x39, although it's cheaper to practice with.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Up to 150 i'd say 7.62 My co worker has good results (7.62 x 39) but he stays in the 95-100 yard range.

3006mv are you southern or northern CA?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the info very helpful, I have been reading all of the caliber forums. I live in southern CA. Maybe I should just wait and get a .308 XCRM. I love reloading .308 for my old Savage Scout. I wonder if their new metal bedded stock will be available for it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts