XCR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I've tried to call all last week but they don't answer - I left a couple messages - Allison did call me back while I was fishing but had no reception so all I got was message to call her back. Anyway I figure I'd ask here before placing an order. I understand this service level is because of busyness Robinson is experiancing but maybe y'all can help me.

I am looking to have only one sporter rifle with a detachable mag and XCR seems to be best option, just sold my sig556 at gun show and don't really know should I configure it???

I am looking for an all around gun - 0-400yrds - one that can hunt whitetail and serve as SHTF, if need be. I plan on putting my M3 on top if it.

-Do I want a 5.56NATO or another caliber?

-If I go 5.56Nato do I want heavy barrel? How long?

-What is 6.5? Do I want it? How is ammo availability?

- How about 6.8? I don't think I want that because I can't find any ammo online or in store?

I would like to order today while I have some internet time so any help would be much appreciated!

Thank you

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Hi - I've tried to call all last week but they don't answer - I left a couple messages - Allison did call me back while I was fishing but had no reception so all I got was message to call her back. Anyway I figure I'd ask here before placing an order. I understand this service level is because of busyness Robinson is experiancing but maybe y'all can help me.

I am looking to have only one sporter rifle with a detachable mag and XCR seems to be best option, just sold my sig556 at gun show and don't really know should I configure it???

I am looking for an all around gun - 0-400yrds - one that can hunt whitetail and serve as SHTF, if need be. I plan on putting my M3 on top if it.

-Do I want a 5.56NATO or another caliber?
5.56 ammo is getting rather pricey these days... 7.62x39 has become our biggest seller since its release. Then again, you save 0 by purchasing it in 5.56. So it's really up to you.

-If I go 5.56Nato do I want heavy barrel? How long?
heavy barrel is the most popular option. there's a myth going around out there that you get better accuracy/stability with a heavy barrel. There hasn't been any kind of difference in testing results here at the factory. The nice thing about the light is it cools much faster.

-What is 6.5? Do I want it? How is ammo availability?
The project is on hold. I'd recommend getting another caliber, as the future on that one is undetermined.

- How about 6.8? I don't think I want that because I can't find any ammo online or in store?
They do group buys on ammo here on the forum. Some do reloads as well. It is tough to find, and it's also expensive... but if you're doing matches it's a good caliber to use. the ballistics are perfect for longer range shooting.

I would like to order today while I have some internet time so any help would be much appreciated!

Thank you

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you TerraShrewsbury!

Can you give me the short and sweet on 7.62 vs. 6.8 SPC? From my understanding, in the past, 7.62 does not fraq and is not as accurate as 5.56...

Also where can I learn about group buys on the 6.8, which forum?

thx again

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Another thing I forgot to ask - - A friend of mine has a 5.56 lt barrel for sale but it's 1.5 years old - are there any changes I should know about, I read something about firepin beefing up recently.

·
Registered
635 Posts
For 6.8 info the best place I have found is 68FORUMS http://68forums.com/index.php but you do have to be a member to get on.

Otherwise from what I have learned. The 6.8 is better than the 5.56 in all areas and the 7.62x39 almost all areas. Range, accuracy, & effectiveness. But yes the 7.62x39 ammo is cheaper. There are issues with the C-Products 7.62x39 30rd mags (not Robarms' fault). Some debate also with C-Prod's 6.8 SPC 25rd mags. But I would not be too worried about that. Because the problem is not nearly as bad. Also there are other mfg's out their.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
OK: If I were you here is what I would do and why I would do it.

1. Buy an XCR in 5.56. Why? Because I already have 5.56 ammo and magazines. This would mean I would be able to use the gun right away.

2. Do some research on the differences between 6.5 Grendel, the 6.8 SPC, 7.62x39. Then use that to determine which caliber kit I would want to buy.

There is very little difference between heavy and light barrels. There is little weight difference. But keep this in mind. Most people use light barrels. 1 billion china-men can't be wrong. However, you can't go wrong with either.

Just get the rifle now. That way if the AWB is somehow renewed you will already have the rifle. You will still be able to get new caliber kits.

Both 6.5 and 6.8 are expensive and not as readily available. 5.56 and 7.62x39 are.

That is what I would do. Order now and you'll have it by the end of March.

·
Registered
90 Posts
If you must have a 0-400 yrd rifle to hunt white tail, the you really only have one choice; 6.8. Most states only let you hunt white tail with a 5.56 (most states require a 6mm minimum).

7.62x39 is good for white tail, but only out to 200-250 yrds (some will say only 150 yrds and some will say 300, but very few folks can hit much at 400 yrds with this round).

Personally, I got a 5.56 and then a 7.62x39 conversion. Since the 556 rifle is $200 cheaper than the 7.62 rifle, roll the $200 in to a 7.62 conversion (or a 6.8).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts