XCR Forum banner

Weapon Light and Laser attachment

12K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  Nomad 
#1 ·
I am seriously considering the Pentagon M3 and Laser combo for the right rail. I have used other weapon lights, Streamlight, Surefire ect, but never the Pentagon. Anyone have any feedback on this lighting/aiming system?

I have played with one in the shop but I have never used it the field.

Roy

See less See more
#2 ·
I have one similar to the one pictured. Mine has a click-on/click-off tail cap and it does not have a laser. I really like the ARMS QR system. The light is rugged and has served me well. You will be hard pressed to find a better light.

I also have Surefire weapon Lites as well & to be sure they are great to.

G
#3 ·
People who hang too much shit on thier guns are morons. training is what you should be spending your money on. Be wise with what you put on your rifle. a small detachable light will suffice. skip the laser. the best thing to put on your rails are rail covers

the reasoning here is that you can overload your gun and make it look like a Cutshaw special right out of 'Guns and weapons for law enforcment', but you dont need all that crap and you'll hate it if you ever have to carry and shoot it for more than 5 minutes.

heres a reasonable alternative

Surefire G2 Nitrolon =$35 (60 lumens, plenty of bright)
simple 1" scope ring = $20 (fits light and can be quickly removed or attached)

bingo! you got a very bright light and it doesn't:
a) weigh a ton
2)cost an armload
iii)make you look like "That" tacticool guy
IV)make it apparent to every person on the range that you have a small weiner

other than that it looks really cool and extra bright (not entirely sure why you need that tho ??? ;) )

have fun
jack the a$$

#13 ·
People who hang too much shit on thier guns are morons. training is what you should be spending your money on. Be wise with what you put on your rifle. a small detachable light will suffice. skip the laser. the best thing to put on your rails are rail covers

the reasoning here is that you can overload your gun and make it look like a Cutshaw special right out of 'Guns and weapons for law enforcment', but you dont need all that crap and you'll hate it if you ever have to carry and shoot it for more than 5 minutes.

heres a reasonable alternative

Surefire G2 Nitrolon = (60 lumens, plenty of bright)
simple 1" scope ring = (fits light and can be quickly removed or attached)

bingo! you got a very bright light and it doesn't:
a) weigh a ton
2)cost an armload
iii)make you look like "That" tacticool guy
IV)make it apparent to every person on the range that you have a small weiner

other than that it looks really cool and extra bright (not entirely sure why you need that tho ??? ;) )

have fun
jack the a$$
Nonesense!!

You can never have too much shit on a gun!

How do I know? Here I am featured in a new magazine;

#4 ·
Well, I must be one odf those "Morons" then.

I carry a M3 Light on my Duty Weapon, and when I go into the unknown doing a building search with my pistol it is on there and ready to go. When I am doing a larger building search, or high risk warrant entry where I have to use a rifle, I want what is best up front. If the Prep can't see you, it's makes it a little harder for him to shoot you, and if you can identify the threat quicker with a powerful light, it makes things alot safer for me, and for the person who "may' be the threat.

I have carried a pistol and rifle in my job for longer than I care to think about, and on many occations I have spent many, many hours carrying my choise of crap on and in my weapons. I honestly don't care if my weapons look like a POS as long as it is functional and safe to operate. I am not one to carry un-necessary gear when I don't have to, and having worn body armour for most of my life, sometimes in 100 degrees plus, I wish I didn't need it, but in todays society I'm afraid I do.

Training. I have been training in the use and deployment of firearms for over 26 years. I can safely say that I haven't had to pay for a single minute of that training. I have been a State and NRA certified firearms trainer here for over 2 years, and in excess of 6 plus years as a LE firearms trainer in my previous employment.

I saw your comment once before and let it pass. I saw it here under my post and couldn't. I don't visit public ranges, and unfortunately I don't get to shoot for fun as much as I would like.

So my point is, When people join a forum such as this, some of those people have a genuine use/need for things such as the "Pentagon M3 Light and Laser". Lets not judge people and call them names based on our own needs and experience. I don't think I'm the only person on here that is currently an operational type person, be it in LE, or the military. That being said, if I could leave my vest in the closet along with my pistol, 2 extra mags, tactical lights, tasers, pepper spray, hand cuffs, radio, in car camera remote, pump action shot gun, patrol rifle, sniper rifle, backpack and all the other "Crap" that is issued to us and what we are required to carry every day, I assure you I would. But I can't.

Thanbk You! .....as Roy gets off his soap box and makes for the exit!

#6 ·
+1

One thing that I really enjoyed about this forum (in addition to loving the XCR), was that I had not found any trash talking. It would be great if it could stay that way. I can't read Sigforum or AR15 forum because it gets so petty.

I'm glad most of the people on this forum have proven to be really nice, thoughtful posters.

#7 ·
Mick and Red,

I too was enjoying the brighter side of this forum, but when someone stands up in my face and calls me silly names without even knowing me, it's in my nature to stand toe to toe with them.

I have an idea, lets all get along and play nicely together and not call eachother silly names. I'm willing to forgive and forget!

Sincerely,

Roy

#8 ·
To get back to what this thread was intended...

I have little or no knowledge about lasers or lights. I think Surefire makes the definitive weapon light, but they make about a billion different versions. What's a good entry-level light? Not necessarily the cheapest (I like to use quality accessories), but something simple and easy to use. That Pentagon M3 is probably a lot more than I need, but I like the simplicity of it.

I like the idea of having my rifle shoot the center of the light beam at close ranges. That seems like a pretty practical set up. Is that tough to get right?

#9 ·
Yes the Pentagon is tough, and easy to use. The M2 is a little shorter, only carrying 2 batteries and a little better priced. I like them because they are functional, good quality, and use batteries instead of rechargable.

With lasers, it depends on your scope's optics. Some are disigned to filter out 99% of incoming red light, so it would be very difficault to see a red dot, but you can always go for the green dot?

A good light, that is transferrable from rifle to pistol is the Strealights M3. I carry one on my belt and it can go on either my pistol, shotgun or just use it as a small easy to operate flashlight. It has a constant on switch and a momentary switch. Good value. There are different models like LED and alloy casings, it depends on your budget really.

#11 ·
I have a couple of the LEDWAVE Z-5 lights.

Not as tough as the higher end Streamlights (aluminum bodied ones) because the bodies are made of ABS or Zytel or something similar, but quite adequate. I'd say comparable to the lower end Streamlight like the M3. The head of the Z-5 is anodized aluminum and is crenelated also.

Also the Z-5's also take the Surefire P60 and P61 lamp assemblies as replacements. You can also upgrade them with the latest CREE LED upgrades from places like Lighthound.com or Dealextreme.com.

Basically any replacement for the Surefire 6P or G2 series will work in the Z-5.

BTW - I got my Z-5's for around $40 apiece.

#14 ·
Aussie,

I'm going to upgrade my Z-5's with either the CREE R bins or maybe the Luxeon Rebels once the prices stabilize and the CREE R bins come out and go down in price.

Right now, the CREE Q5's are just starting to be used and the Rebels just started being used.

I have a couple of Fenix P2D's, one with the CREE P4 bin LED and one with the CREE Q2 bin LED and man they are bright and battery efficient compared to my older 1 watt and 3 watt Luxeons.

Pretty much indestructible too.

G
#17 ·
Aussie,
My statement was not meant as a personal attack. please dont take it that way. There is a really poor trend right now for officers and civilians to hang a bunch of stuff on thier rifles and feel that it gives them a huge tactical advantage. one light is fine, even required sometimes. it just gets to the point of foolishness when your gun starts looking like a Charlie Cutshaw review gun in 'guns and weapons for law enforcement' you end up with a 12 pound monster that loses all it tactical advantage because the operator cant make his gadgets work under stress (K.I.S.S. right?). I had a good laugh at a story I heard this weekend about a sherrif's depatment that ordered some 10" DPMS full auto ar-15's. they loaded them up with suppressors, lights, lasers, sights, BUIS, stocks etc. etc. and issued them to thier SWAT. they orderd 25 of them and so far in the last 2 years have had to replace 49 of them. they did this becasue the gun dogma at the time stated that they should do this. pretty stupid huh? I can thing of 5 really major issues right off the top.

there is no substitute for realistic training. and even if you stack a bunch of laser target designators and pvs-14 UNS aimpoint tactical 3x magnifier surefire verticle light foregrip you really are not gaining much except weight and possibly losing that extra second activating the laser, which your enemy will take to lace your pelvis or ocular cavity with 3-4 AK rounds. all the gadgets in the world aint gonna help you do a one handed weak side reload.

heres what I advocate. have some attachments that you need in certain situations. keep them in your BOB and hang them only when you need them. then spend the other $5000 on ammo and training.

sure Im still a jack-ass and you hate me, but now at least you might have gained that second you need to win a gunfight.

love
jacky

#18 ·
Jacky,

I don't hate you. I'm just not into calling names, especially if you don't know me.

I value everyone's opinion and either learn from it , or ignor it, quietly.

Let's keep this forum up on a new level of exsistance, and all get along together. ;D

#19 ·
group hug :D

#20 ·
I certainly agree with the "lets all get along theme".As of late it seems we are all under more tension,call it Obamamania..whatever.Anyway,I agree with Jack in the sense that the trend to hang to much junk of your carbine,tends to make it neither usefull,handy,or advantageous in a high stress situation,all in the name of looking "tacticool".That said however,your gear should be operator and mission specific.
Aussie we should get together one weekend,along with other Va. and W.Va. members we could have a nice get together.

#21 ·
The Cove out at Gore, VA is probably one of the most congenial places we could meet.

You can swim/fish/camp/shoot - or just shoot/shoot/shoot... ;D

Next time I'm up, I'll take some pics so you can see what it is like.

Yuo can also check out their web site... but there are no pics of the range, which is little more than a clearing on top of the mountain - but the kind of place where you can shoot anything without disturbing the neighbors.

[glow=red,2,300]http://www.covecampground.com/[/glow]

#22 ·
So thinking maybe plan and put on a XCR Jamboree, all XCR owners and there guns meet in one location in the U.S. for a weekend of shooting, Telling lies, hanging out and making new friends. Now wouldn't that just freak out the liberal government. Any takers???

#23 ·
Looks pretty sweet! Hey Red how far is that from you and Aussie?

#25 ·
It's probably about an hour and 20 minutes or so for me.I'm roughly an hour from Winchester.I'm not sure how far Tacweapon is from there,he's in Harrisonburg,but he's a touch closer I think.I wouldn't mind spending a night a one of the cabins there.That is if I get my wife to drag herself from her damn job long enough.

#26 ·
My view on weapon lights has always been this:

With a light, you can only see what you point it at, you can be seen from everywhere else.

#27 ·
I really like the design on this light... but not sure I want to cough up $400 for a laser light. Any others out there that aren't the standard TLR2 design, but a little less expensive?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.