XCR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Well after months of research I just placed an order for an XCR. The three main systems that I was looking at was the Sig 556, the POF upper and the XCR. The POF while a nice system lost out due to price, if I am going to spend $1200.00 then I might as well spend a little more and get a complete rifle. That left the Sig and the XCR, the reason the Sig lost out was really two fold. First I don't like the fact that I have to use a Samson front sight, second I like the Eotec and it doesn't work well with the Sig. So that left the XCR and after looking at it yesterday I asked my dealer to hold the one he has for me. It has a 16" heavy barrel in 5.56, and I am having him install a VLTOR stock. I also plan to buy magpul rail covers, a magpul grip and about 10 P-Mags. For sights its going to be Midwest industries, and eventually an Eotec holosight.
My only concern with the entire gun is the charging handle, I just don't understand why that part would be plastic ??? I would much rater see it made of aluminum for strength. Have any of you had problems with that part. Also how can I tell if it has the new gas system? I have to say that I am excited to get it and once I get my W-2 for my taxes it's mine. If any of you have any advice please fell free to post it. Thanks

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I agree with tzoid on the gas system. If you are buying a new rifle, make sure it has the new gas system. If it doesn't have the new system at least have the dealer discount it enough to buy the new system. Otherwise it can be a pain in the ass to switch calibers/gas systems. :2cents: Welcome to the forum. ;D

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I think it just just the knob itself on the charging handle that is plastic?

FALs have been using that setup for decades; its not a problem.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The one I am buying is a little over a month old, so that should be the new gas system correct? And I know that the knob is most likely not a big deal but it just feels cheap compaired to the rest of the gun.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
If you look on the RobArms site, www.robarm.com , it will give you the serial number range. That or call RobArms at 801-355-0401, and ask for Terra. Be sure to have the serial # with you. It COULD be an older rifle that has been on the shelf awhile. Better to know BEFORE you buy. :duh:

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
welcome, you made a great choice and will love shooting it.

·
Registered
491 Posts
It's real easy to tell the new versus old gas systems apart. The old system had a nut with a rod-like thing sticking out with 1 to 4 dots on it. The new system doesn't have a nut and instead has a spring loaded plunger that you can push in and rotate a plate with the gas setting numbers on it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts