XCR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, I know, this is XCR but I like it over here..
I know someone selling theirs and I think I bought it. Meaning, I looked at it, and it is immaculate shape. It is awesome.
He says if I want it it is mine and will sell it to me for a steal. I originally placed the order on an XCR but adding up the costs
of rifle, mags (PMAGS), and lots of ammo (5.56) just wasn't in the cards. I loved the idea of the caliber conversion (7.62) as I have lots of ammo and lots of AK mags. But then I learned that you couldn't use the same mags and I would need to buy additional mags from C products. So for me it was going to be 3K when all said and done. I wanted to but couldn't "pull the trigger". I think I will like the KTR, but wanted to get ya'lls opinion on it before I get it. Oh, and my next rifle will deff be a 5.56 XCR.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Krebs makes good AKs. I went that route rather than the 7.62x39 conversion for my XCR. I just didn't like the wait or the magazine solution. Krebs fixes most of the common AK issues and you end up with a nice rifle that can still feed surplus mags and ammo.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Hey man,Rome wasn't built in a day.Who said you had to buy it all at once? I ain't the richest guy on the planet either,but I planned long ago with the possibility and eventual reality of an election disaster,to get at least the rifle before hand.Magazines? Well I been "gathering" them a little here and there over the years.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I own the KTR-03, the "older model", and love it. It is what the AK should have been in the first place. Probably the best AK made. Shoots great and is one quality rifle. You can't go wrong with the Krebs. :2cents:

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Nice guns, but not worth the asking price. When an AK comes close or exceeds the cost of a decent AR15 it's an instant pass IMHO...The Arsenal/Bulgarian guns are a much better value. Or even better, try Lancaster AK's which are also a great value, especially the Saiga conversions

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have the Krebs Saiga 12 shotgun and I can say that their work is absolutely top notch. Overpriced? yea probably, but what isn't nowadays? I have two more Saiga 12 conversions coming from another gunsmith in Ohio and they cost almost as much without the Krebs name. I'd say if you like the gun and you can afford it, buy it.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Hey Gunner,

If you ever want to sell you KTR-03, give me a ring. I'll take it off your hands. ;)

Otherwise:

Just on looks alone I would prefer the 03 as opposed to the 08. I spent many hrs deciding which to go with. The KTR-03 or the XCR. In the end it was the XCR. But even to this day I think I would rather have the KTR if I was just in the 7.62x39 world. The C-Products magazine situation is also a concern for me.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like the looks of the 03 mo' betta. Second in line if yo ever decide to sell it.
Apparently the 03's are hard to come by.
I called Krebs and RGUNS and asked if they has 03's and they said nope.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the Krebs Saiga 12 shotgun and I can say that their work is absolutely top notch. Overpriced? yea probably, but what isn't nowadays? I have two more Saiga 12 conversions coming from another gunsmith in Ohio and they cost almost as much without the Krebs name. I'd say if you like the gun and you can afford it, buy it.
The Saiga 12 is the sh*t. very nice.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
I think this bears repeating...
Nice guns, but not worth the asking price. When an AK comes close or exceeds the cost of a decent AR15 it's an instant pass IMHO...The Arsenal/Bulgarian guns are a much better value. Or even better, try Lancaster AK's which are also a great value, especially the Saiga conversions
I hate to be a killjoy,but the bottom line here is an AK is an AK.Yes,they are very nicely built weapons to be sure,But your taking a weapon that you can buy on the streets of any third world Popsicle stand for 50 bucks,and trying to turn it into a Cadillac.I don't see the point.
I like AK's,don't get me wrong,hell I love mine.It's a Lancaster like VB mentioned and you can tell the build quality is there.My rifle cost $500,and to me well worth the difference in price vs a Century built gun.Is the Krebs REALLY worth another $700 than mine,I suppose thats user subjective,but I say HELL no.There are some nice custom touches on their rifle,but in no way does it justify the price tag for me personally.I would rather put what I want on the rifle vs paying for overpriced custom parts,but maybe that's just me.
Take for example their $265 KCI QUAD PICATINNY RAIL FORE-END.I bought my Leapers railed forend for $59.Now does anyone here honestly think that the other rail is worth $200 dollars more.Mine is made of aluminum and is tough as hell trust me.What about their $65 "improved" safety? It's a great concept,but charging damn near 70 bucks for an standard AK safety with a simple cutout to lock the bolt back with and a piece of sheet metal riveted to the side for a more user friendly(trigger finger) safety off manipulation is,in my opinion,a little much.I think Blackjack Buffers has them for roughly half of that cost.
So,If I'm going to invest a grand or more on a weapon of this type,it ain't going to be on an an weapons system that has been surpassed in features and ergonomics for just a little more money. :2cents:

·
Registered
635 Posts
I think the real advantages of the KTR are just in some the of features. I do agree the Krebs is over priced to some degree. The KTR has a better barrel than the standard AK. Much better sights & sight placement. Again as opposed to the standard AK. If I knew were I could get a cover with a rear sight and rail. To replace the standard cover, and have the rear sight moved as far back as possible (like the Galil or Valmet M62). Then I would get that and stay with the standard AK front sight, and either get a railed fore-end or stay with the wood fore-end.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wut if I can get it for under a G?
I see WASR-10's going for $600 these days!

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Any AK will be reliable. A Krebs can give you an AK that shoots 2" groups all day long. Some of the trigger issues are resolved and you end up with a nice gun.

..as for the comment that it's still an AK, great, reliable and effective, cheap parts, magazines and ammo. What's wrong with that.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
How much under a "g" are we talking? Sure if you can pick it up cheaply,then it's an investment.Something you could always turn a profit on and maybe buy something you would rather have.That's just good business sense.Also there is no way in blue hell I would ever pay 600 scabs for a WASR-10.
I'm sure due to the political climate and fear of the upcoming administration,there will be price gouging and profiteering.I think this will settle down somewhat and anyone paying these exorbitant prices are aiding those assholes to keep doing it.We should have learned what could have happened after Clinton and been stockpiling in expectation instead of waiting till after the fact.It's strange how soon some of us forget,or get complacent with 8 years of a Republican in office.
From what I can ascertain from the their web site,they use
Our rifles are built on semiautomatic receivers mated to best quality NEW OR LIKE-NEW military AK parts.
Nor could I find anywhere that mentions that they use a custom barrel.Military AK barrels are not know for their lack of durability,therefore I doubt they toss the barrel when they're using a good quality parts kit.I'm not saying your wrong,I don't know for sure,but that's the conclusion that the information I could find points me toward.
As far as the sights,I don't see the gripe that much on the standard sights.The rear notch needs to be opened up for sure,but if you want to replace them the XS sight system,in my opinion,would be the best choice.I don't get the rear sight replacement with a peep in the standard location either,the whole point of the peep is for the rear sight to disappear,but with it mounted that far forward would seem pointless and awkward to me.
I like the rail system they have that goes over the dust cover,but if you can use a red dot then why not use it on the forward rail with a red dot or scout scope/pistol scope on it? I need magnified optics because of my eyes and would like to use something besides a scout scope or red dot,but It's hard to justify $265 for their dustcover rail.
By the way there nothing WRONG with an AK,BUT there is something wrong with a $1500 AK that isn't worth the difference between itself and a $500 one.You can argue all day about this nifty feature or that,my point is that at the heart of the weapon is the same reliable Kalashnikov action and all the other great features you mention Mickey,It kind of like trying to turn a silk purse from a sows ear.It's still just an AK no matter how much you pay,or what custom builder built it.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
I went Krebs because it was the best I could afford. when I worked on a BMATT in Nigeria I used an AK I picked up in a market for about $75. It never failed on me either. That's the beauty of the AK.

·
Registered
635 Posts
..as for the comment that it's still an AK, great, reliable and effective, cheap parts, magazines and ammo. What's wrong with that.
And that is why I would like to see an optional XCR lower receiver that uses AK mags.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
The only reason to pay Kreb's asking price is because you feel like it. The value compared to a Arsenal, Lancaster or even a Bulgarian SSR will still be lacking...

Then again there are people that pay $3000 for Les Baer AR15's too

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The only reason to pay Kreb's asking price is because you feel like it. The value compared to a Arsenal, Lancaster or even a Bulgarian SSR will still be lacking...

Then again there are people that pay 00 for Les Baer AR15's too
I have an Arsenal (SLR 95) and like it alot. I have seen them being sold for 800-1000. I paid less than a third of that for it.
Arsenal 107 is $949. Lancaster are about the same. I can get the ktr for 1K. Value is the same. Question is would you choose any of those over the KTR? Like I said before WASR's are going for $600 FCOL (for crying out loud ;D)...I hate the prices these days also VB..

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I have a Lancaster "Russian red" AK and it is an excellent rifle. I had a former student come back from Iraq where his unit was specifically trained in using insurgent weapons (I didn't ask why). Anyway he compared the AK to a shovel. It is not pretty to look at, it was designed for one purpose, and it is reliable. So I guess you can put pearls on a pig but at the end of the day, it is still a pig.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Misspoke before, actually spread the word I was looking for a KTR-03S and low and behold I got the call.
So I could get a KTR-03S for 1150 or a KTR-08 for 1K. Or I could sell my SLR-95 to help pay for and get them both.

;D
:evil lookin:

So, what should I do? I have read of problems with the 03's holding zero, but others have never had trouble.
The 08 supposedly solves that problem, however the 03 is soo much better looking. I think I might sell the SLR to help pay for both.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts