XCR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
I will second what gr8santini said ... but I have never had any problems with any mags and half of my mags are the old USGI Surplus mags still with the old follower

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
PMags - it took me a full 15 minutes or so to bust my first one at the last course I took.

They're NOT that tough at all - just run up on some cover, and misjudge your breaking distance ;D I've kept the ones I've got as square-range mags, but not for serious mags.

Personally, I much prefer the HK mags. If you don't mind paying 37FRN per, that's the way to go.

For the same dough as the PMag, you can get a CProducts stainless steel bodied mag. Those are 20 thou thick, and good.

I've had great success with the SAR80 mags. They're 30 thou thick (same as the HK 416 and M14 mags) and solid steel. Only downside is that they're parkerized steel (rust possibilities if not maintained) and the follower isn't upgradable. Still, it's a US GI follower, and it gave me ABSOLUTELY NO problems in the monsoon or desert. Both with the XCR. Might need a touch of break-in (or fitting), but they're good 'nuff that I've got about 73 of 'em.

Did I mention that the SAR mags are cheap too? Same price as a cheap US GI mag - and just like one - but in steel.

An aluminum mag? Well........ I don't care for 'em for the same reason I don't much care for PMags.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I thank Aziztor for the HK mag I won in his drawing on this forum. ;D HK is THE best as far as I am concerned. :2cents: In 6.8 I use C-products, and they have worked great in that caliber. I shoot with a friend who has the steel Singapore mags Bravo talks about. They are quality mags and work well in my XCR. If I couldn't afford the HK mags, I would choose the Singapore steels. :2cents:

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
So far, here is what I have used without issue.

USGI
PMAG
HK
USGI + Magpul followers
British SA80
Colt 20 Round

·
Registered
491 Posts
PMags for me. I have 20 of the CProducts SS mags and they work okay, but the PMags seem more finished with no sharp edges. I have to leave a couple rounds out of the SS mags but can load up the PMags. Now my active warrior days are long over and in the USAF I'd never have occasion to use a rifle anyway, but for my civilian use and range shooting the PMags get the nod. But if you're actively going in harms way, I'd listen to the real warriors on this board.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I have about 20 of the HK mags so that is what I use. i have a few of the P Mags and like them but i still turn to my HK mags when I need to grab something that I know will work. I haven't had an oppurtunity to put the Pmags through a tough test yet but they seem OK. Remember, everything can break at any given moment.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
I'm a big fan of PMags too. Have a couple of the SS CProducts mags. They work fine but I'd prefer them to be thicker. Would be hefty but no worries about strength. PRi makes the best 6.8 mags around, in my humble opinion of course. And, since I have a metric buttload of them, plain Jane USGI mags. They've all worked for what I need them to do.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Pmags seem to be sold out everywhere.... :-[

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
...and they will continue to be sold out for a very, very long time to come. Post-election jitters. Prices for a lot of stuff have already started to go up, wait until Jan 21, it'll probably get even worse. Best bet is to get on a backorder from somewhere reputable like Brownells.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
i have 1 p mag, and love it.

Though anything polymer is good stuff. Aluminum magazines' lips can tend to splay after time. Steel or polymer are the best way to go.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Cheaper than dirt has pmags @ $30 each but they do have them in stock.

·
Registered
573 Posts
PMAGS! 8)

I have many USGI mags also, but I like the Pmags best.

In my experience, none of the metal mags, steel or alum., are as tough as the Pmag.

If you haven't already, see the torture test vid where they run over metal mags including the great HK mag, and Pmags with a duelly truck.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts